This is intresting....bout PS2.0 & Nvidia

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by top_gun36, Sep 6, 2003.

1. top_gun36

top_gun36 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9800 Pro|MR9600 Pro Turbo
    GD: John, we've found that NVIDIA hardware seems to come to a crawl whenever Pixel Shader's are involved, namely PS 2.0..

Have you witnessed any of this while testing under the Doom3 environment?

"Yes. NV30 class hardware can run the ARB2 path that uses ARB_fragment_program, but it is very slow, which is why I have a separate NV30 back end that uses NV_fragment_program to specify most of the operations as 12 or 16 bit instead of 32 bit."

John Carmack

I find this hard to believe, even for Nvidia. Also check out the benchmarks

Link

2. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    Ive been told by some experts that ATI's drivers are so well written compared to NVIDIA's both 2D and 3D, heard NVIDIA are making new drivers for FX generation made from scratch but do you believe this? i dont i think it would be wise to move to ATI they certainly have came a long way with their hardware and drivers.

Is this not reason why ATI will be with Microsoft on X-Box2, because ATI's hardware and drivers are much better than NVIDIA's.

NVIDIA “The Way It’s Not Meant to be Played”

3. StitcheS

StitcheS Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce7 7900GTX PCI-e
    Ya, kind of disapointing. All I can say, is if these new drivers don't help us, I think it is time to move on. Ill let my FX5900 be a REALLY BIG reminder of what nVidia did. No matter what the outcome. I still believe nVidia will be able to make some wicked drivers. They still haven't used the full power of any FX card. Let's just hope for the best with the new drivers.

There is more to it then just that.

The XBox2 will hav an ATi card, because they perform at speeds like nVidia, and give the quality and high standards as nVidia. While keeping the price down. There is a whole thing about it. I think Microsoft made the right choice. nVidia is not the nicest company around.

4. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    Yeah, also look at ATI's "FSAA / AF" performance to NVIDIA's you could say it rape's NVIDIA, what ive always found dissapointing from NVIDIA is how long it takes them to make optimized drivers for their cards.

GeForce3 took about 6 months to year before i noticed big changes, especially 4xxx same goes for GeForce4 series took about 6 months?

ATI's drivers are well written especially out of the box, not like NVIDIA's crappy boxed up drivers that come on the cd when card is new.

Also what i dont understand is how ATI can produce high end blinding fast cards yet its no bigger than a GeForce3, look at top end GeForceFX Goliath stuff 2 slots! and 9700's 9800's Pro or whatever work way better than NVIDIA.

Plus 9800 Pro 256 uses DDR2, doesnt need a killer Heatsink fan to cool it down like NVIDIA? surely something is wrong with this picture?

I trully am sick of how long it takes NVIDIA to get their drivers sorted when cards are 6 months old yet dont see any improvements till next line is out in stores, like whats happening with NV36/37/38 end of this month or so.

Biggest mistake NVIDIA are making, is developing new cards then releasing them in shops with drivers that are not ready.

5. ugapug

ugapug Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 Classified
    You know, until VERY recently ATI's drivers absolutely SUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although Nvidia is presently in a major backslide, please don't try to intimate that their previous cards (and drivers) didn't kick the snot out of ATI's best. I remember my Radeon 64 trying to run OpenGL..... <shudder>.

6. Xelorz

Xelorz Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG Tech 7900 GS 256MB
    I've had a bit more trust in ATI then Nvidia. ATI in my opinion isn't as cut-throat as Nvidia, I haven't heard of them being as deceptive as Nvidia (however, that could mean they just hide it better). Their cards also feel a bit more stable and developed upon first release (especially "built by" cards) and there after. Thus all but my current card have been "Built by ATI".

7. GrrRila

GrrRila Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    xelorz, have u heard about the Quake Quack controversy? I like ATI more right now myself, but ATI isnt' exactly trustworthy either.

8. Xelorz

Xelorz Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG Tech 7900 GS 256MB
    Yes I have, but Its not which company is honest. No company is, computer related or not. Its who cheats the least. I'm sure Nvidia and ATI are pound for pound in the lieing department but I just feel I can put a bit more faith in ATI from exerpience. Don't try to change my opinion, you can't change a gut feeling.

9. Djuice

Djuice Guest

if u dun like ATI or Nvidia go for Matrox or Oxygen or something...

10. top_gun36

top_gun36 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9800 Pro|MR9600 Pro Turbo
    3dfx all the way :p

11. Dzhedaj

Dzhedaj Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X800GTO 256MB @6
    Guys, ps2.0 performance doesn't have anything to do with drivers. It's just pure hardware. Yes of course you can optimise it a bit with drivers, but not a lot. If the silicon can't do the job well.......you're screwed.

12. Dzhedaj

Dzhedaj Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X800GTO 256MB @6
    Heh and I remember nvidia telling that benchamarks don't show anything about the performance. They told us to look at the games.....well now when we look at the next gen games, what do we see? That nvidia's next gen card only beats ati in dx8? Well that's nothing to be proud of.
    What next will nvidia say? "DirectX is bad, Microsoft is against us like Futuremark" ?

13. ps can be optimized. Remember GeForce 3 and the nature test in 3dmark 2001. It couldnt even reach 30 fps and now u can score over 60 with this card. over 2x performance incrase so we still can have hope in NV :p

14. MizuChi

MizuChi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7800GTX 256MB @470/1300
    have faith my friends... we`ll see good results soon enough :D

15. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF 6600GT/ 6800GT went for RMA
    Yes I agree but there is catch here.
    NVIDIA Fx series cards( 5900 U and NU) do bad at PS2.0 not bcoz they lack hardware support. The ps2.0 shadow rendering is disabled in drivers itself as of now. Thats why it does badly with current drivers as it tries to render them in D3D.
    Also drivers havent been taking full advantage of pure clock speeds of 5900Ultra, i hope FX series detonators solve this. anyone tried 50.xx that came out little time ago for 64 bit systems?

16. Spuk0

Spuk0 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    P/C Vega 64 Devil
  17. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF 6600GT/ 6800GT went for RMA
    Re: Well read this and test for yourself...

Heads up to ya!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nice find.................