This CPU is just amazing

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by ah1zghost, Apr 17, 2011.

1. ah1zghost

ah1zghost Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 960-4G
    Over the past week or so Ive been updating my rig after a fresh Win 7 64 bit install. One of the items I bought was an AMD Phenom II 965 Black Edition. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

I mean at first I knew it was going to be a nice upgrade, but I had no idea it was going to be this good. Right now I've got this thing running cool, and stable at 4000 Mhz. The kicker is, I'm on a budget so I had to use my old MOBO which is an Asus M3A79-EM... I mean this is old AM2+ DDR2 crap...

Another nice feature is the multiplier is unlocked. At first I was having stability issues, but after searching around a bit I came across this nice setup leaving the Bus at 200 Mhz, then just bumping up the multiplier for the OC. What I ended up with was a 200 x 20 1.54v powerhouse, and all for 140 bucks.

I'm still doing a few tests & tweaks , but this has to be the best CPU's I've ever owned.

2. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I have that motherboard for my media centre, a really good board. Heck my quad core has been running on a AM2+ board for 2 years now and still going strong.

deltatux

3. IAmGhostDog

IAmGhostDog Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 390
    Those are really nice CPU's
    I just picked up a 955 Black Edition at that price 2 weeks ago.
    Shoulda' waited? Hindsight/foresight.

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    small Bus bump to around 210mhz would make a faster throughput..

in other words, 4ghz at 200mhz will be slower than 4ghz at 210mhz.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700...
    4ghz is 4ghz....the processor itself won't be any faster with the bus at 210 vs 200....instead, the system bus will just provide data to the CPU faster. At 210mhz bus, he'd be at either 3.9ghz (19x multiplier) or 4.2ghz (20x multiplier)...or, if AMD still allows for half steppings, 4.1ghz (19.5x multiplier). Either way, 4ghz is unobtainable with the bus at 210mhz.

6. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    AMD CPUs do allow half steppings. My CPU is currently 240 x 12.5 to get my 3000 MHz.

deltatux

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    1.54 Volts?

You're not going to be enjoying it for long.

8. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    it was an example get over it...

well doh that was my point.

And yea 4ghz at higher bus isn't the same as 4ghz @200mhz.. Just like by intel's fsb 400mhz vs 450mhz >>both at 3.6ghz and yes 450mhz makes hell of a difference.. so much that a 3.8ghz @400mhz can actually be allot slower because of lower memory bandwidth, especially where mem bandwidth matters..

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  9. ah1zghost

ah1zghost Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 960-4G
    Sorry the voltage was a typo, its 1.45v. But maybe ill give that other setup a try and test it. 210x19 sound good?

10. ah1zghost

ah1zghost Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 960-4G
    Its a no-go...

Running it at 210x19 crashes the system. Others were saying the same thing basically changing the FSB to anything above 200 its becomes unstable.

The bottom line is this things blazing fast for the money I have into it, and it being an older MOBO.

11. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    You thought that was good?, when i got my X3 450 i had no idea about unlocking cores etc (i had been out of the PC building game for a few years), i was on a budget and wanted a good gaming rig for as cheap as possible so had deceided on a tri core.

Imagine my surprise when i was OC in the bios and found the ACC option to unlock the 4th core! (i didn't actully realise until i had started CPU-z), an X4 CPU @ 3.75ghz for £45.99 (on sale) hell yes!!.

I'm tempted to get an X4 965be with part of my tax rebate, i just really want 4ghz :D, but i'm really not sure as i game at 1080p and i can't really see the extra 250mhz and L3 cache adding much to gaming at that res (plus with a better cooler i'm sure i can hit 3.85ghz).

12. digitron

digitron Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia 8800 GT
    Alright...I have this CPU and I said to myself I will not OC it...than you come along bragging! Now I have to try it...can't....resist...any...more!!!

Will report later in the evening! :D

EDIT!!!
    I'm an idiot!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  13. heliman41

heliman41 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 260OC -640/1300/1100
    Im having a 955BE delivered today myself to replace a 3.2 550 dual core. Amazinly my old Asus M3A78-CM will even handle a 6 core AMD ( with a bios update) tho as you guys know there is the DDR2 mem handicap and a few other issues that would bottleneck it a bit. So ive decided to not flash just leave that alone.
    I guess my next M/B will be a full blown AM3 so I can go to DDR3............$139 not bad for a fast quad upgrade! At least I won't have to upgrade the CPU at that time right away.

Popped right in & setup in auto, what an easy to install processor. I can tell things are zippier already. Im going to see my FPS on a few games before any OCing is done, may not be necessary.
    Dave

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011