Thinking of upgrading my GPU......

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by xeltic, Mar 17, 2016.

1. xeltic

xeltic Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 280x
    What are the best options at the momentfor high end gaming, everywhere I look I just see the GTX 980 TI blow everything out of the water with the best bang for buck what do you guys recommend?

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Would help to know what kind of setup you are using. What are your requirements? I just got an 390 cuz I wanted a great 1080p gaming rig, and I'm sick of NVIDIA's BS in making and bloating their drivers.

3. xeltic

xeltic Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 280x
    Thanks for replying, um right now I'm running an FX 8350 @ 4.7ghz ram at 1600 9 9 9 24, nothing that good, I was planning on upgrading mobo when the newer AMD cpus come out later this year as for requirements, I guess I would like to have constant 200+ fps(1080p) while on the other hand trying to play some games at 4k

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  4. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    its better to wait at the moment, everything is just around the corner. Not a good time for new purchase i say. Since you also have a up and running system already, wait it out till the smoke clears after the new lineups have battled it out :)

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    980Ti/Fury X cards will be bit underutilized on 1080p. I sometimes face that situation. On 1440p / 4k, it would be fine to get either.

But at this point in time, I would wait as both AMD ad nVidia are around corner. Even if you do not get new generation, you can get last one cheaper.

6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Wait until Polaris and Pascal are presented. Just hold your horses for 3-4 months, it's not worth it to get anything now.

7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Plus you have an r9 280x which is fine for 1080p gaming. By the time that the AMD Zen CPUs come out there will be better GPUs out.

8. brucer

brucer Guest

GPU:
    soon 2 be Sapphire Fury
    I would wait.. I would even wait to upgrade your cpu and see how the older multicores perform in dx12, from what I've read the older cpu's are going to get a nice performance increase in dx12.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The reason for this is because the CPU has to do less work to push things through to the GPU. It doesn't mean a poor CPU won't be poor in DX12.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Underutilized where? I play at 1080p and I have a few games and it can make 980TI sweat, but that's at "max" settings GTA5, ROTR to name a quick example.

Others I can Downsample and add extra transparency AA, forced HBAO+ and downsampling.

There is UT3, forced MSAA 4x + 4x TRAA and forced HBAO+ and bitch can cripple at 1620p or even at 1440p @ 8xMSAA, very close to playable 60fps+ :grin:

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Like the others have stated, I'd wait for the next round. I had to get a card since I was still using a GTX580 which died on me, and I had to resort to using a SLI GTX285 on Win10. (And having to disable portions of Metro to get SLI enabled cuz old drivers are old, and insisted that certain .exe's needed to be shut down. PITA)

So, the 390 was a nice upgrade to the 580, so worth getting. You can find some nice deals for Open Box 390/390X if you check a few stores. (Frys, MicroCenter) if you really must scratch the upgrade itch.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    While it is OT, Games like Path of Exile, maxed 120fps.

You should note that you put a lot of subpixel processing which is wasted. You would be better off with 1440p screen as that would give better IQ while keeping lower load.
    I prefer 120fps everywhere.

But you brought that particular point I hate to address as it may sound insulting... People should not use settings which reduce their fps to 1/2 ~ 1/3. Especially if seeing positive difference requires photoshop and pixel differentiation map filter.
    In most cases those processing methods bring smoother edges, but they are much blurrier too.
    (I Hate Blur!)

Last week I was messing with R6: Siege settings in hope to get something remotely close to Adaptive AA on wired fences. As default filtering just makes weird shapes which change based on distance from fence.
    Noticed that is it child of TXAA / T-AA, but strangely messing with those altered behavior with reflections as well as HBAO+ shadows.
    So, getting acceptable fences resulted in bad shadowing and reflections.
    (Perfect example of game where Maxed settings look worse than bit lower.)

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I hate blur too and no setting blurs it there.. i dont use txaa, that is a blur fest.

Imo 1080p will be the sweetspot until i upgrade in 2yrs. 1440p is not enough for 1x furyx and 980ti in near future.

14. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Look here ;-)

IMO AMD PhenomII x6 and FX x6/x8 are very good CPU's ... Typical Bang'fo'Buck :program:

HitMan DX12 1080p Ultra on R390

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  15. brucer

brucer Guest

GPU:
    soon 2 be Sapphire Fury

Anything I've seen or read says dx12 is going to distribute the workload across all cores much more evenly than dx9 or dx11 has in the past, making older multicore cpu's much more efficient, also helping older gpus to be more efficient at the same time.. Newer cpu's already spread the workload more evenly, its codded in them and their architecture is optimized for it..

basically when dx12 applications/games start coming around, older equipment will see a performance bump, but, in return all this hype we're hearing from AMD that their gpu's are going to see so much benefit from it I actually doubt it.. I remember AMD saying this crap about dx11 and we didnt see squat... Now with the ongoing blackscreen/crashing issues of the Fury and Fury-x I'm really doubting anytjhing AMD says. Just like the Fury-x was suppose to blow the gtx980ti away, let its slower than the 980ti, especially when the 980ti is oced.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016

16. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    The 980ti wasn't around when AMD's marketing machine starting promoting what they had in the new Fury cards

17. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Low CPU overhead :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  18. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    Yeah, but he wants 200 fps in games, not 45, so his fx is out of the question.

19. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Yeah... That's it...