Thinking of selling my 980's - how much faster is 1080 in real life?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Teisco, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Teisco

Teisco Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    How much faster is the 1080 over the 980 in real life, not just hyped charts. I am thinking of selling my three 980's and getting just one 1080.

All 4k testing by me using Skyrim and Gta 5 and Fallout 4 showed similar frame rate for using just one card vs three or two cards so a one card solution is now what I want.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    Probably about the same. 980 SLI is faster than 1080 in perfect scaling.
    If you get decent scaling with 3, 1080 will be slower.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Then you have to look at multiGPU vs Single, SLI support in games, does Multi always work well, especially 3 way?

4. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    I'm a single GPU person myself, for ease of use and because I constantly hand down parts to other people's rigs.

In your case, the 1080 would no doubt be a solid upgrade, but I would hold off until there's a single GPU that's even better. It's assumed that the 1080Ti will be coming, perhaps by end of year.

Waiting is easier said than done though. The upgrade itch can be powerful. :nerd:

5. TheWahoo

TheWahoo Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080 Hybrid
    I went from 2x 980s to a single 1080 and there isn't a single game I play that isn't faster on the 1080. Typically it's around 10% improvement, not to mention double the VRAM. I've never run 3 way SLI so I can't speak to how well a third card scales but I'd be surprised if a 1080 could match 3x 980s in any game that officially supports SLI.

I think there are two questions you should ask yourself:

Am I hitting a VRAM wall with "only" 4Gb?
    Am I bothered by the caveats that come with SLI?

6. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090ti
    i had a 980 sli before, and now i have a 1080, practically i upgraded cuz less temps less noise, less hedaches with installing custom sli bits, fels a little better to just sit down and play since day 1, i think i got tired of all that sli BS, but in real life i fell my 1080 a little slower than my 980 sli 2x setup, but just a little maybe 4 o 5 fps less.

Only upgrade if you feel to, if you still don't care about sli shenanigans then don't

7. Teisco

Teisco Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    Thanks, going to sell these cards so if anyone wants a heck of deal on three of them pm me.