Thinking of replacing my D Drive (8TB HDD) with SSD

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by bobmitch, Jan 8, 2022.

1. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 TI XC
    I am running AMD 5950X on X570 motherboard. Thinking of either a 4 TB SATA III SSD (Crucial or Samsung) or NVme. My current C drive is Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4.0 so wanted to boost performance by making D drive SSD as well. The main function of the D drive is to store game files, photos and music. Is NVMe going to be that dramatic upgrade from a SATA SSD? I get the overall speed...but I think with games...access time is most important...and whether SATA or NVMe...both will outperform a Spinner...

Thoughts?

Thanks

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Nvme vs S-ATA SSD just for storage , games and music?
    Get a normal SSD form a reputable brand and Bob's your uncle.

3. PPC

PPC Member Guru

GPU:
    If youre going to install games on it, sure, go for NVME, it helps a bit but it aint that dramatic compared to good SATA SSD. Also the price aint that much higher for NVME, its kinda proportional. You pay a bit extra and you get a bit extra speed on loading times.

For photos and music even spinners are more than enough, my whole media is still on spinners and it probably will be for a long time. There isnt anything media related that i use that would require >50MB/s transfer. Solid state drives are statistically more reliable tho but thats really the luck of the draw thing, some series/manufacturers do confirm that, other might not, etc. And even if that was the unequivocal rule, a mechanical drive usually gives signs of failure before it goes unusable, solid one less so, its a double edged sword.

4. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 TI XC
    Gotcha. I'm leaning toward SATA III. Crucial 4TB is around $359, where NVMe is running around $600-700 If I want equal 8TB...looking around $729 for SATA III

Thanks

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Keep the hard drive, add a 2TB SSD with a small OS partition.
    Use the rest of the drive for games/apps you want to load faster.
    Theres no point putting video, pictures, music etc on an SSD.

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Or even buy an external enclosure to put your old hard drive inside so you can keep using it when needed.

The1 and Maddness like this.
  7. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    The noise of HDDs is what is annoying. I had three 1 TB WD Blue drives in a parity array, but I'm replacing it with one 2 TB SATA SSD to get rid of the noise.

If I feel like spending $500 or so bucks on a NAS system, I might start using HDDs again.

8. 386SX

386SX Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Crucial MX500 4TB has the same cache size as the 2TB version. I read somewhere they changed other stuff, too. So I went with 2TB drives.
    Do not go QLC as writes drop massively after the cache is full.
    Sandisk puts a lot of different controllers on their models, which makes buying a lottery. I heard of good experiences, but bad as well ...
    ADATA ... Stay the heck away from those. Bad, worse, worst, ADATA.
    KINGSTON does this "mix-the-controller", too, at least for some models.

Here are some with TLC and minimum 3.84 TB:

German (sometimes gives better prices than the English overview below):
    https://geizhals.de/?cat=hdssd&xf=16325_3~252_3840&sort=p

English (for specs and comparision):
    https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=hdssd&xf=16325_3~252_3840&sort=p