Thinking of going Ryzen

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by antonyfrn, Jul 5, 2020.

1. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Im wondering if its worth while with my current system specs moving back to AMD, I'm thinking of replacing my current setup with the following.

Ryzen 7 3800x Gen3
    ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi

Would this be a worth while upgrade? any compatibility issues i need to be aware of as ive heard that the Xonar cards don't work.

2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    For gaming, I don't think you'd see any huge difference honestly. Desktop applications, yes.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah at this point you perhaps better wait for Zen 3 (Gen4 Ryzen) as it's released later this year I think.

It should bring another notable notch of IPC improvement along with again slightly higher boost clocks and other improvements.

4. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    That would fit more with when i do plan to upgrade would be towards end of the year at present.

5. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    The 1070 will be your biggest limiter in FPS gained from a new CPU.

6. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    When the Nvidia 3000 series cards are out, and the Ryzen 4000 series 'Zen 3' chips are out (not the 4000G series apu's), make your decision then.
    While the Zen 2 3000 series processors are good processors, unless you can take advantage of 8 core / 16 thread or better chips with your workflow, it is not really worth it for a gaming machine. A 6700k @ 4.7ghz will roughly equal a 3700x / 3800x in gaming in programs with up to 4 threads, then the 3700x/3800x will pull ahead if more than 4 threads are used by what you're running, or at-least provide better 1% lows.
    If having the upgrade itch now, you'd have to pony up for at-least a 2070 super to notice a difference in games (or if you want ray tracing). For ray tracing, I would 100% say wait until fall as the 3000 series from nvidia will be much better in that aspect.
    If you solely game, a 10600k will be what you're after on the intel side, and on AMD a 3600x / 3600xt is what you want - a 3700x if you want to splurge a bit more.
    Just make absolutely sure you go for some good ram, if you pay 40$ extra (or less) to get some good 16gb or 32gb kit of 3200mhz CL14 memory you will like your Ryzen a bit more than if you only spent enough to get a 3000mhz cl16 or cl15 kit.
    CL = cas latency, lower is better.
    Plan on doing content creation? See what your software supports thread-wise, and go from there, but the AMD AM4 platform will likely provide you with what you need without having to pay up to jump up to the HEDT platforms. I do content creation on my AMD Ryzen 3950x, recently updated from the 3700x I got a year ago, it's great for content creation (now if I can stop saturating 8gb of VRAM here It'd be wonderful).
    As I said if you just game, your 6700k at 4.7ghz is far from being obsolete, hold off until late fall early winter sometime before the holiday season, and score some black friday deals for your new machine, your money will go a ton further than it will right now. I would try to get another year+ out of your machine if you only game.
    That said if you see a great deal on an X570 or B550 motherboard, or some other parts like power supplies or cases, don't hesitate to jump on the deal and order it. Keep it for your next build & when you see the other parts on discount, or new parts come out you'd like such as Ryzen 4xxx cpu or a new NVidia GPU.

Loophole35 likes this.
  7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    @bobblunderton

while yes the 4xxxg CPU’s will technically be zen2 still it will be a 8 core CCX with a possible 30% reduction in latency. This is likely what we will see with ZEN3 (though ZEN3 will have more cache).

Renoir may be the next sandy bridge TBH. We should know in a few weeks.

8. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    Yeah those Renoir APUs look like an interesting product if the rumors are true

9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    When it's Renoir's launch date?
    That maybe will e the chip for the SOHO build I was asked for advice.

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I heard end of July.

11. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    I can only hope/pray/dream you're spot-on with that. I have my doubts - but we can still hope, right?
    If they get a 30% improvement on those 4xxx models, even from solely the cache latency reduction, they're going to roll right over intel to the tune of 10~25%.
    Will keep fingers crossed - but even if it's only half that, they're keeping up for a better price than intel - so we still win as consumers.
    I have a 3950x here and the cache latency does incur an additional penalty in physics computations / float computations when going from physical die to the next physical die, and when using more than four cores or two non-contiguous cores (where you have two or more separate cores on their own 16mb L3 cache chunks). It certainly didn't give me a 100% performance boost over a 3700x, but I can't say anything bad about this 16-core 32-thread processor other than "it's not for gamers, it's for content creators or rendering/video editing".
    Most of the software market isn't ready for anything much past 4~8 cores, but the high-core-count chips are absolutely bottomless in processing ability if it can be used properly. For gaming, don't dare go over a 3700x though, it's a complete and utter waste of money and nothing can use it properly yet.
    When we get chips with congruent cache over 8c 16t sections of the processor, they'll be able to keep up with intel's chips without an issue, clock for clock, possibly better. What I'd really love to see though is getting the core to core and memory latency down over ALL 16 cores, not just 8 core like they're going in 4000 series desktop chips. If that gets done and hits the market along with DDR5 in 2H 2021, it's going to steam roll everything unless intel's hiding some magic cards up their proverbial sleeves. I hope all of it happens, and the CPU market stays spicy, and full of competition for US the consumers to win.
    I was not happy with my 4790k product I got in 2014. Sure it was so much quicker than my old FX 6300 CPU I paid 100$ for, but it ran way too hot and threw off buckets of heat (there's no way it was only 80 watt). So I didn't make the same mistake again - I voted with my dollar telling intel to do better. Hopefully more folks continue to do the same, otherwise the PC market could stagnate again.
    Some of us just don't wish to have all this fancy overclocking this or that, nor do we wish to be required to partially disassemble the processor heat-spreader and use liquid metal on it with a 100$ air cooler, just to keep stock behavior from hitting 90~100c.
    Just my 2¢, sorry if I rambled on a bit.

Loophole35 and GarrettL like this.