Thinking of getting a new motherboard

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Richard8899, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Richard8899

Richard8899 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 980ti
    I'm in two minds if to get a new motherboard or save to build my own pc. If i get a new motherboard could i use my old cpu and old parts to fit to the new motherboard? Im new to building my own pc and that, just not sure if it's worth buying a new motherboard.

I have decent specs i think

CPU - Intel i7-6700
    GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
    RAM - 16GB

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Generally speaking, as long as you stick to the same CPU, keep the motherboard.
    It's not too practible to change anything, as Intel officially doesn't want you to use your CPU on another motherboard anyway (what IS your current mainboard?). Unless you're desperately missing any features that you use regularly, a MB upgrade usually doesn't do much. Better save your money imho.

3. Richard8899

Richard8899 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 980ti
    My motherboard is a HP 2B4B.

4. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8GB RX480 Red Devil
    Agree with fantaskarsef, only replace a motherboard if it's faulty or missing a feature you now need.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Honestly, your mainboard doesn't look that bad, Z170 chipset with the needed features, and you can anyways just upgrade to a 6700K, not that much of a win.
    If I were you I'd save the money for a new mainboard for the next rig you build, your PC seems fine for now.
    Or did you have anything particular in mind, any specific reason why you'd want to switch? Something not working?

6. Richard8899

Richard8899 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 980ti
    pc is working fine have enough space. pretty good for about 2 years old. Was either thinking new motherboard or maybe save up to start building my own pc in the future. I never built my own before and was thinking maybe would be a good time to learn.

Thanks for the help.