1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

thinking of building a 24/7 folding machine, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by JoPiss, May 23, 2008.

1. Julepalme

Julepalme Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 OC'ed
    Yeah.. i also forgot 1 important thing.. the PSU.

the 8800GT's would be a PCI-E 6 pin each

I'd get a Corsair TX750.. features 4 pci-express 6 or 8 pins connectors

[​IMG]

And should supply the cards with plenty of juice. cost about anoter $100 on top of the previous estimate.

And aircool.. yes indeed.. the cheaper the cpu the better..and not really any need to overclock it.. the troughput between cpu and gpu.. or cpu and memory for that matter means nothing for GPU folding. read that the CPU/GPU doesn't even communicate more than every 20-30 seconds realtime.. its all about the GPU internally for folding.. amount of Stream processors and the shaderclock.. the amount of memory of the gpu and the memory clock has no visible impact on PPD.

Also the X3210 is 1365 DKK here..and the q6600 1188 DKK.. so cheap here.

Another alternative would be to run with something as low as a Celeron E1200 .. its a 1.6GHz dualcore with 0.5MB L2 Cache.. its a terrible performer.. but if your running windows vista on the folding machine this will be plenty of cpu power. (or possibly windows xp when that lame cpu usage bug is gone) that one comes at just 266 DKK.. (and for comparision $1 = 4.7 DKK)

This would sure slow down windows vista etc.. but if its a dedicated folding machine it wont really matter. i'd wager its even good enough for a seperate machine for browsing the web while your gaming on your main rig etc. just don't do any CPU folding on it.. stick with GPU :p

Rather spend the extra buck on a nice case and a few 120mm fans for intake and exhaust .. the 8800gt's can run a bit hot + would allow for a bit of extra shaderclock on the cards for better performance..

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  2. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Yeah but the xeon runs a damn site cooler than the main stream quads so overclocking is just something I'd do anyway - more PPD with an SMP client, there is communication often though but cpu doesnt effect the GPU client much (if not, no afect at all).

Definatley go Vista, XP and its CPU handling failings - infact you could probably get away with underclocking - but I'd imagine a core for each GPU would be better (each core of FAH on each CPU core).

You may aswell build computers with P4's and 8800GT's for mere pennies.

3. Julepalme

Julepalme Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 OC'ed
    Sorry edited my post with the Celeron dualcore before i saw your reply :) ..

Yep for a folding macine like this..screw quadcores.. the only reason im suggesting a Dualcore Celeron as opposed to a single core 1.6ghz celeron is because it would be slightly more responsive for use as a webbrowser or mp3 playing machine aswell.. or a network fileserver for that matter.. might aswell get something extra for the money.

currently im folding with the 9800gtx.. it uses 5% on 1 core of a 2.8GHz E6550.. so putting the 3 8800's on 1 core of a 1.6ghz celeron wouldn't be too much for it i'd guess. otherwise 2 cores is good for it definetly... giving em 1 core each is by far overkill :p..

4. Julepalme

Julepalme Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 OC'ed
    And i just discovered another mobo

ASUS P5K64 WS Workstation Series
    [​IMG]

Capable of running 4 PCI-Express graphics cards.. and costs less than the previous one.. has less spacing for the GPU's tho.. the Asus p5n-32e sli supports 3 doubleheight cards.. with the big coolers etc.

But you can also get 8800GT cards in normal single height.

A setup like that..

ASUS P5K64 WS Workstation Series (800 DKK)
    Celeron E1200 (266 DKK)
    4x8800GT (4x999)
    G.Skill 2x1GB PC8500 DDR3 (605 DKK)
    Corsair TX750 (680 DKK)

A machine like that would be 6351 DKK.. or translated to $1351.. this is for a machine capable of pushing 20k PPD.. ~15 PPD/$

(Again only checked the danish prices.. usually higher than elsewhere.. .. anyone wanna check the prices with their local US dealers or similar?.. actually interested in the price difference..)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008

5. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    I'd still go higher than the celeron.

Make it a second hand e6600 ;)

6. Julepalme

Julepalme Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 OC'ed