Thinking Of A 3000 FE Series Off a Auction Site.... Beware

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Killersjp, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Killersjp

Killersjp Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 2080 TI
    So your thinking, Hey I can’t wait for a 3000 card to come into stock at Nvidia and prepared to pay over the odds for a card, Well... forget that 3 year warranty that comes curtesy of Nvidia. Reading their condition of warranty it says only valid for the original purchaser of the card. I guess you would be covered for a short time depending how you pay for it from certain auction sites but nowhere near the 3 years from Nvidia and I bet the person who sold it to you for all that money would be so happy to hear from you a couple of years after saying you want if fixed or replaced for free. I’m definitely holding out for a new sealed one from Nvidia in my name so it’s covered.

Tyrchlis likes this.
  2. Tyrchlis

Tyrchlis Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 3090 XLR8
    This is a good reason, but is only really one of several equally good reasons to not buy Ebay auctioned RTX 3000 series cards. You correctly point out the warranty issue, but also the ridiculous price differential is just mind boggling. The RTX 3000 is an amazing card, 3080 or 3090, but NOT worth paying a lot more than MSRP for.

Then you get into the ethical issues of supporting the scum who are interposing themselves wrongfully into the purchasing process by absorbing the ENTIRE available stock. Predatory practices are not fair business, EVER! It is unprofessional, street gang behavior and should be treated as dirty for supporting.

Lastly, these scalpers are using fly-by-night Ebay accounts. You pay 2500 dollars on Ebay for Founders Edition and get a piece of paper saying Founders Edition, you are stuck with the process of getting your money back IF you get it back. Ebay can only give so much protection from scams if the scammer manages to sneak in terms like "Paper Edition" somewhere.

There is just no good reason to support scalpers at all. None.

sertopico and Killersjp like this.
  3. Killersjp

Killersjp Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 2080 TI
    Out of interest Tyrchlis did you upgrade from a 2080 TI to that 3090. Is it amazing. I am def thinking of updating to a 3090.

Tyrchlis likes this.
  4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    This begs the question, what if you get one for Christmas?

5. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    If someone spent that much on you for Christmas chances are you'll know them for the length of the warranty. lol

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    :)
    It can cause quite a pita though, and they would think twice about spending on you again.

My brother bought me an Overclockers Vector SSD, just after WD had rescued the company.
    It subsequently failed like my previous Ocz Vertex 2.
    Trying to deal with the stores customer support was a nightmare for us both. Eventually they agreed to take a statement from my Brother that I was the owner but even then, due to account restrictions, it was difficult to sort and took a long time.

7. Tyrchlis

Tyrchlis Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 3090 XLR8
    No, I upgraded from GTX 1080 Ti to RTX 3090, and yes, the overall effect IS amazing. PNY treated me like a king on getting the card and made the entire experience into a special memory that will always be remembered in my computing history as the "Golden Ticket GPU" incident.

The uplift from 1080 Ti to 3090 isn't often measured in reviews, but it is a hair over double averaged, with newer games and benchmarks showing a bit more than double at times, while older stuff shows less improvements due to CPU bottlenecking. I'm still running on a 7700K so performance is great at 1440p in games and benchmarks, but 1080p gaming and benchmarks end up same (traditional raster only) between 1080 Ti and 3090, which is hilarious CPU limitation at it's finest, LOL!

I'm waiting on CPU upgrade for Ryzen 5000 series launch and targeting the Ryzen 9 5900X as my first choice. The RTX 3090 should find that a bit less limiting all around with faster CPU and PCIe 4.0 thrown at it. Money set aside already and just waiting on Lisa Su to make it happen.

Edit : Of note is that I have the PPB part number model from PNY, not the plainer looking MPB model. The shroud of the PPB models is more complete than the MPB model and just looks better overall. Some people do not like EITHER of the PNY 3000 series model's looks, but I love it. It looks amazing in my case... PS - don't let the pic angle fool you, there is no sag in the GPU, I've put a level on it and it's as flat and perfect as it gets :p
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  8. gmavignier

gmavignier Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti Max-Q
    I don't support Ebay scamers at all but, regarding waranty, what about PNY, EVGA and others waranty? Is that voided by reselling the card as well?

Tyrchlis likes this.
  9. Tyrchlis

Tyrchlis Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 3090 XLR8
    Technically, I believe so, but am unsure. I THINK EVGA has some kind of resell warranty protection program of some sort, I THINK, I don't remember for sure or if that was something old they stopped doing. It used to be you could resell a card inside it's warranty time still and the warranty carry across, but I forget which manufacturer did that.