thinking about upgrading to windows vista

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by iceman320, Feb 4, 2008.

1. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    For starters, I don't think Vista supports any AGP chipset.
    1GB is like running XP with 256MB RAM.
    And considering the amount of stuff that happens in the background, that CPU of yours won't be too happy either.

2. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saffire AMD R9 285
    my overall xp to vista experience is way better than the 98 to xp switch i made back in the days^^ you might need a extra gig of ram but then ur windows looks fine instead of the crappy theme colors in xp:S

3. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    Do it!

4. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    I do honestly think Vista really needs at least 3gb for gaming. 2gb will be fine for most games, but certain games will cause the swap file to be hit under vista with only 2gb. The games will still run fine actually, but closing the game and/or alt-tabbing to windows will be painfully slow with 2gb and most newer games.

Also, and maybe this is just a placebo but vista itself seems to run better the more ram you throw at it (particularly going from 2gb to 4gb.)

The main issue is you should use 64bit when going to the 4gb level. Although vista 32bit will work with 4gb installed I don't believe it has access to all of it, and sometimes closer to just over 3gb (depending on what hardware/video card(s) you have.)

5. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    Well like me with ram so cheap, just buy it! lol I did not think there would be such a difference between 3GB and 8GB. Damn I was wrong. Almost everything is more responsive in Vista Ultimate 64. Awesome and cheap upgrade. Well the Q6600 vs the E6600 helps a little too. I was a bit at odds to install Vista or not. So far I have had little if any issues. Gears of war is a bit of a pain to get going, not sure if Vista is to blame though. So far nothing else has giving me issues. Wait, sharing my printer with an XP machine is giving me nightmares, but I will be upgrading it to vista home basic soon; problems solved!

Overall nice change from xp. A bit of a learning curve as to where the hell stuff is and what the new names of things are, but not too bad. About like going from 98 to XP.

6. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i got 6 gigs. some suggest you dont need such but they just dont understand the alternative ways you can make use of alot of ram.

for instance, in my case
    the sweetest part is now i can switch instantly between 2 games. i ALT/TAB out of one game and load up another and keep them both altab'ed out when doing other things.
    and i use suspend mode when i'm ready to join reality again, so when i'm ready for either game i can start where i left off within a few seconds, saves alot of time actually. lately, i usually have COD4 and prey always running, along with vista using up near 1 gig i typically have over 2 gigs free for any applications, i probly could even load up a 3rd game too but i limit myself to 2 till i'm sick of playing one of them.
    i'd like to see a console do that :)

7. iceman320

iceman320 Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia GeForce 6600GT agp card
    is there a 32 bit version of vista that I could try on my laptop?

8. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Vega56 8GB
    All Vista versions come in both 32 as 64-bit. ;)

9. iceman320

iceman320 Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia GeForce 6600GT agp card
    sweet thanks for the help I might try vista out on my laptop first and if I like it I will put the 64 bit version on my amd 64 and my core 2 duo. comps. thanks.