1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about upgrading from 2500k

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by g-man.357, Nov 8, 2017.

1. g-man.357

g-man.357 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX Titan
    So I’m starting to get the upgrade itch but I’m not sure I need to yet. This is the longest I’ve gone with the same system and I’m way out of it. Everything is new and exciting now.

I got the 2500k when it first came out. I don’t remember all my settings, but I’ve had it set to 4.5ghz all these years 24/7. Everything’s always been stable and I’ve been super pleased with this setup. Should I wait until it dies, or upgrade and let my old roommate use it for his build?

I recently got a GTX1070, and I’m wondering if I’m bottlenecking it with my older hardware.

I guess that’s my only real concern. That and I’ve always tried to upgrade hardware shortly after a new operating system.

Also, what kind of compatibility am I looking at as far as keeping my aftermarket heat sink? It’s been so long, I don’t remember what it’s called, but it’s the big round copper heat sink that sticks way up off the board and the fan faces the front of the case.

Any input is appreciated.

2. superpoeper

superpoeper Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX1070 O8G
    Better to invest in a 500gb or 1tb SATA SSD like a samsung EVO series or a WD blue SSD...
    That would boost performance more than the whole new setup...

Let me explain with my personal example:

i used to have i7 920 @3.7Ghz with a GTX1070...
    Now i have I7 8700K @4.7Ghz and i still am using the same GTX 1070...
    (in short i replaced my motherboard, CPU end RAM and power supply because of its age (PSU was 8+ years old) and re-used all other things like the case, gpu, SSD, audio card, usb 3 expansion card, fan controllers........)

Result: a little bit faster loading times when gaming (less than 2 sec difference for witcher 3 when loading a savegame)
    AND
    Almost 0 (read: ZERO) differences in gaming itself if you set your game up to keep a solid fps (wich i was able to do at 1440P 60fps with Vsync on with my old i7 920 and the 1070)
    (your cpu is faster and newer so you should also be able to get these results)

i just disabled all anti aliasing and blur and depth of field settings in the most demanding games to get 1440P 60fps solid...

Now that i have the 8700K and the RAM is faster i can bump some ingame settings a bit higher (like anti aliasing or blur or depth of field) but the differences are not that noticable once you are actually playing...

only 1 big difference compared to my old I7 920 is that emulators like PCSX2 and CEMU run much better...
    So if you are into emulation A LOT then maybe it's worth the upgrade, otherwise i would keep on using it since i came from an i7 @3.7Ghz and dit not notice a big jump in performance...
    You have a 4.5Ghz which is still a strong performer...

bmr1980 likes this.
  3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Use MSI Afterburner end enable CPU and GPU load in the OSD. This will help discovering CPU or RAM speed bottlenecks.

4. superpoeper

superpoeper Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX1070 O8G
    bottleneck depends a lot on the games and settings used.
    i used to use these settings on my old setup.
    I run my games of an SSD that is the only big difference between our systems...

in almost all the games including the latest games ran at 60 fps @1440P

https://imgur.com/Ys5EMVc

5. g-man.357

g-man.357 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX Titan
    I use my tv and monitor, both 1080p so I don’t have issues running any games at max settings already. The only issue I have is mouse lag that I can’t figure out. Pretty much every game I have runs above 60 FPS all the time, but it feels like the mouse is way behind. I don’t know if that could be cpu related at all. It’s a Logitech G502. I’m thinking it’s something to do with Windows 10, but I’m tired of playing with it.

I sometimes wonder if my cpu is as healthy as I think it is, but I’m way behind on making the move to ssd as it is.

6. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Your CPU is fine. A SSD will make a far greater impact than any CPU upgrade - it will cut loading times to a small fraction of what they are with a HDD. Focus on this above all else.

7. g-man.357

g-man.357 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX Titan
    Just ordered a 1tb ssd. WD Blue. If it works as expected, it should change my life!

8. superpoeper

superpoeper Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX1070 O8G
    great choice
    just put a fresh windows 10 x64 on the ssd and install your games on it as well...
    you'll be amazed at the difference in loading times and overal fluidity of everything...

9. Pawel04

Pawel04 Active Member

GPU:
    HD 7950/3GB
    Thanks for the discussion! In exactly the same position right now however im still running a HD7950. With GFX card prices having sky rocketed because of crypto mining, i was about to pull the trigger on an AM4 mini-itx upgrade (MB,CPU,RAM) over getting a new GFX card. Reading this however im tempted to wait until end of November to see if i can pick up a cheap rx580 through all the sales that will be happening.

10. superpoeper

superpoeper Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX1070 O8G
    @Pawel04
    First get a SSD (if you are still using a normal HDD for windows and your games)
    Then wait a bit longer untill there is a sale on 1070 or better GPU that is what i would advise...

i would go for a nvidia GPU, for some reason more game perform better on team green compared to team red... but it's your choice obviously

11. Pawel04

Pawel04 Active Member

GPU:
    HD 7950/3GB

Thanks for the recommendations. Im already running windows on a 256GB SSD but games still of a HDD, may get a 1tb ssd to include games. Regarding waiting for a sale on a 1070, by the time it would fall into my budget (around €300) a new generation would probs be released. Also considering my budget, i would disagree with you on Nvidia > AMD, i think that in exactly my budget range the RX580 is better overall than a 1060.

12. g-man.357

g-man.357 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX Titan
    So my main setup now is 2 hdd in raid, with two more hdds for storage. When I get the ssd in there, am I likely to lose my data on the raid drives or will I simply have to select drive order in the bios?

13. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Selecting the drive order should be all you need; adding a SSD shouldn't break the current RAID configuration. However, I would also try to remove the OS from the RAID drive as well, if only to free up space (copy data, format drive, move data back).

14. g-man.357

g-man.357 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX Titan
    That’s the plan, however, I have three windows installations already that I never bothered to format, so there you go.

I’m always finding useful files I forgot about. I’ll have to spend an afternoon cleaning house I guess.

15. g-man.357

g-man.357 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX Titan
    I should receive the drive today. Now, I have a usb drive for installing Windows 10, but I’ve never done a clean install. If it’s tied to my hardware, it should activate itself? Its been so long since I’ve had to upgrade anything, I feel like I’m lost here...

16. g-man.357

g-man.357 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX Titan
    I got it done. Can’t find my SATA cables so I replaced my bd drive for now. Installing all my stuff right now.

Looking at benchmarks, it does look like I’ll upgrade my cpu this year. I’m watching ddr4 prices and they’re way too high. I’ll see where I’m at when the price goes down.

17. g-man.357

g-man.357 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX Titan
    Well I just couldn’t help myself when I remembered I have a paid off credit card that still has 0% interest.

I went with Asus Strix on the mobo and the 8600K with 16gb ddr4. 2x8 in case I ever want to waste money and go to 32gb...

I should be able to put it together Saturday.

What actually made me do it was the minimum cpu for call of duty is the i3 3225 and it was much closer to my 2500K than I’m comfortable with.

Six years with the 2500K and it’s got to be the greatest cpu Intel ever put out.

Also, I own stock, so keep upgrading guys!

18. nateluthje

nateluthje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI

19. nateluthje

nateluthje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    I agree with superpoeper's comments. An SSD will make a HUGE difference in performance - with loading speeds etc. I am running a 6700K @4.9Ghz because there was a bottleneck in my 2 x asus strix 1080's. I too came from an i7-950, which had served me well for 6 years @4.5Ghz, with amd radeon 7970's running in xfire mode. I could have gamed at 4K with this system, but would have to lower the settings and it had been 6 years since my last upgrade but since and I wanted to game at 4K, all settings on ultra ,so I bought 2 asus strix 1080's when they came out and this was my only reason for the upgrade. At 1440p, my old system would run at 60fps in most games at high or ultra settings all day. I have my computer running 24/7.

It depends on what YOU want - if you are happy to game at 1440p, then I see no reason for the upgrade - except for an ssd (or 2). If you wanted to upgrade because you want to game @4K ultra settings, then yes, by all means upgrade, but there is no point spending money unnecessarily. Personally I would wait until NVIDIA's or AMD's next line of performance cards come out, read all the reviews etc and then decide. I think Q2 the next line of cards are coming out (don't quote me on this as I am unsure) Oh, what would make a big difference is if you had a g-sync capable screen. I have an 28" acer XB280HK, and even if my framerate drops to say 45fps, you don't really notice any difference - it runs just as smooth as if you're playing at 60fps. So, the three things I would suggest is: Get an SSD, whatever you can afford, and a g-sync capable monitor - they make a huge difference when gaming, no screen tearing etc, no noticeable drop in performance even if the frame rate is say 45 FPS. Save your money. I also suggest in regards to the SSD that you get a samsung PRO (850 or 950), because they are much faster than the samsung EVO ( I have both, a PRO and an EVO and would definitely recommend getting the Samsung 950 PRO). I recently put one into my laptop, and the performance difference was amazing.

That's about it, as said it's about what you want from your system and how you want your system to perform. As previously said, the only reason for my upgrade was to i wanted to game @4K ultra settings, that's it, otherwise I wouldn't have upgraded. I would wait but that's just my opinion, go get yourself a good g-sync monitor and a SSD or 2, both these things will improve your system dramatically. Oh, just BTW - Running my CPU at 4.8GHZ instead of 4.9GHZ, I only get a 2-3 fps whilst gaming. So not that much a performance increase. Just running at 4.9GHZ because I have a good chip and a good water cooling system.

20. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG STRIX 1070
    If you do upgrade it will help the min and max fps on that 1070 for sure. If you got the money for it go for the 8700K. I'm running a 7700K @4.8GHz 1.312v and also running a 1070 and i'm pretty sure i'm getting much higher frames per second in min/max compared to your setup.