Thinking about getting a mechanical keyboard, need suggestions.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by eclap, May 1, 2013.

1. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    No no, I took a look at the G710+, seems very good. Enjoy it!

EDIT: a proper keyboard was what pretty much completed my system too! :D

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    thanks mate. I'll post some feedback when I get it. Not many people here seem to have it so it'll be helpful hopefully.

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Last edited: May 4, 2013
  4. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6900 XT
    Yeah, I know what you mean, I see all these massive rigs of show in some forums, yet they use a run-of-the-mill KB......or better membrane KB's. For me, when I'd decided to go mech, I went all the way with mech KB for each of my three rigs. They feel so much more comfortable and fun to type with. And they complement most gaming systems pretty well.....:)

It's good to see more and more are catching on to this mech KB wave, hell, though I don't need another, I'm seriously thinking of getting a Ducky YOTD edition.....damn, buying new hardware/peripherals can be quite addictive!:3eyes:

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Being a former mechanical owner, it's really a luxury that you can live without. I'm not in any hurry to spend another $100-150 on one. It's certainly nice, but I wouldn't say having a membrane keyboard is a "weakness" in a setup. It's not really going to inhibit typing accuracy or speed except at the very high end, something that most people don't achieve anyway.

6. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6900 XT
    Well, I was referring to those with high-end setups.....if it's a lower end, as compared to high-end, then the money would be better spent elsewhere, like better GPU, more RAM, soundcard and such. My main rig is more than a year old, and it'd taken me this long to realize that I'd like a mech KB or two, or three, to complement my rigs.

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    I would have probably bought that if it came in blue... but it only comes in my least favourite flavour; red. I don't see the purpose to those, no feeling at all. I personally like membrane keyboards better than reds. Also the Osmium costs a lot for a keyboard.

I ended up buying the CM Storm QuickFire TK in blue flavour: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823129012

It looks very nice when lit up and reflecting off of it's blue backplate. The fact that its sound pisses everyone off is a huge bonus.

It looks awesome in the dark:
    [​IMG]
    Those bottom right keys do light up but only when numlock is off.

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    I mean, I consider my setup high end. Not "enthusiast", like your own, but I'm not a fan of diminishing returns so I'd probably never go to that level. I'm just saying that my current Logitech K120, a $15 keyboard, is really not much different to me than my Razer Black Widow. Do I miss the nice clicky feeling? Sure, but it wasn't amazing enough to make me consider prioritizing money towards another. And that's not a knock against the Black Widow, user error resulted in its demise; it was a fine product otherwise.

9. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X

Totally agree. I don't really care so much about the rest of the media buttons, but dedicated volume and mute controls are a must. I use mine all the time, and having them as a secondary control on an F key really doesn't cut it.

Enjoy your keyboard, and tell us how you like it once you gotten to play with it for a bit!

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    That keyboard that you bought, I may be interested in that myself, Let us know how loud or quiet that it is.

The ULTIMATE mechanical keyboard guide!
    http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    will do. The good thing about the G710+ is that it has dampening O-Rings. From what I've seen so far, the brown switches on the G710+ seem to be pretty quiet when typing or when pressed with moderate force. When bottomed out, the O-Rings should help make it slightly quieter than most other keyboards. I think it'll be at it's noisiest in a MMO while spamming abilities. Will definitely post back when I have it though.

12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    eclap, you should hear spamming on a Blue with no O-Rings!... :p

13. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    wow feel like a cheapskate considering most have ever spent on a keyboard is a tenner...:3eyes:

i actually had trouble understanding what the hell was a "mechanical" keyboard. i thought they all were..(to some extent).

14. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    @Veteran: pretty thorough guide, but I disagree with one thing, the latency assessment. It's a common mistake that's done when calculating latencies.

Some math coming right up:

The default polling rate for USB is 125Hz.

Let t0=0 be the time the keyboard is polled. The next time the keyboard is polled is at 8ms.
    Let t be the time a key is pressed. 0 < t < 8.
    Cherry MX debouncing time is 5ms.

2 cases here:

a) If 0 < t < 3, then 5 < t+5 < 8, so the keypress makes it in time for the next polling, and your latency is anywhere between 5ms (if t=3-) and 8ms (if t=0).

b) If 3 < t < 8, then 8 < t+5 < 13ms, so the keypress does not make it in time for the next polling, and your latency is anywhere between 8ms (if t=8) and 13ms (if t=3+).

So your minimum latency is 5ms (debouncing time), and your maximum latency is 13ms (debouncing time + polling period).

Similarly for a 200Hz polling rate, your minimum latency is 5ms, and your maximum latency is 10ms.

A close analogy to this mistake is saying that if you have a 60Hz monitor which refreshes every 16.67ms, it doesn't matter if your mouse polls only at 60Hz. Although he DOES say that for mice it matters.

A good way to put it is that with keyboards, it doesn't *practically* matter, since your max latency is 13ms, and keypresses take a whole lot more to press, and are pressed a whole lot less, compared to the movements we can make with a mouse in such a short period of time, across thousands of pixels.

Anyways, using PS/2 will decrease the min and max latency to 5ms, since it is not polling-based, but interrupt-based. That's a (mostly needless) bonus with PS/2, but the main deal with PS/2 is the N-key rollover. No ghosting. However, new Ducky keyboards support true NKRO over USB, so Ducky has opted for USB only for these keyboards. I have one of these, a Ducky Shine 2 Blue switch White LED Tenkeyless.

15. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X

16. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    These animations are found pretty much everywhere you look for mechanical keyboards :D

17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Its milliseconds again which is nothing. I mean how much advantage are you going to have....its debateable.

I think what is good is that fact that these keyboards never wearout due to there design so the key input is always speedy even after lots of use.

18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Definitely no advantage. Peanuts. Reliability is key here.

19. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I would say that this isn't entirely true, it's very easy to double tap, it's because you can half actuate MX Blue switches while other switches don't have this problem. In fact, Overclockers have stated in their definitive mechanical keyboard guides that double tapping can be a problem with Cherry MX Blue switches (I personally get this problem too with my Razer BlackWidow where if I drag my fingers across the surface while transitioning between keys, I'll double tap the keys).

Source: http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide#post_6009482

Personally after trying several keyboards after buying my Razer BlackWidow, I'd probably go for a Cherry MX Brown switch keyboard next time as it's the perfect balance between Cherry MX Blue and MX Black.

deltatux

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  20. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Yes, you're right. Don't know how this bit slipped. The plastic piece has other effects.

The problem is trying to keep the key *floating* before you tap again. It might not click with the next tap if it's floating too deep. With linear switches it's pretty easy.

However, I would never think of switching from Blues. They are just too fantastic for typing.

I think Blues would be particularly nice for strategy games.

Last edited: May 5, 2013