Thinking about buying a 360 need some advice plse

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by irfdude, Aug 19, 2008.

1. irfdude

irfdude Master Guru

GPU:
    8800 gts 320
    As the title suggests.

I have a friend who has one and his obvious love of it seems to be infectious.
    What I need to know is what is the difference between all the models?
    I know the obvious ie hard drive capacity but are they all HD compatible - I will have it plugged into a 42" HDTV and will mainly be playing online.

Any advice would be good especially what sort of prices I should be looking at.

Also is it worthwhile getting it 2nd hand or just get it new with a warranty?
    heers peeps

2. Forbiden

Forbiden Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS @ 810/1900/2200
    I would recommend getting a new Elite if you can find one. They have the larger HD and HDMI. VERY worth it.

:banana:

3. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Honestly, I know you did not ask this, but how often have you tried it out at your friends house? Do you think that you will play it a lot or only just here and there? Do you play a lot of computer games or are you going to get games that are unique to the 360?

The reason I asked this is because when I first bought the one I had, I enjoyed using it a bit. However, because I did not have any friends to come over and play games, I completely lost interest in the 360. In fact, so much so that I had turned it on only once in a 4 week period.

I have already gotten rid of mine and have not missed it at all. I am not trying too discourage you from getting one because they are nice. I just figure why spend the money unless you have the time to play it a lot or know that you will not lose interest.

4. Curtimus

Curtimus Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD4870 790/4400
    Not only what ManofGod siad, but also if you spend $50 you can get the PC 360 controller and get almost all the 360 games like Mass Effect, Gears of War, Bioshock, ect. and play them on your PC. Take the cash saved and pimp your PC or whatever...

5. skugpezz

skugpezz Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 Fury X Stock
    yea I would advise you to get a console..it is ease of gaming and dont require upgrading to play a new game... All 360s has hdmi
    1. arcade bundle has 256MB memory card, av cable ,1 wireless controller power cord and free games. (Cheapest
    2. pro bundle has a 60Gb hdd, hd cables, headset, remote, 1 wireless controller, power cord...(best for the price)
    3. elite, has a 120GB hdd, hd cables, headset, remote, 1 wireless controller, power cord...

6. irfdude

irfdude Master Guru

GPU:
    8800 gts 320
    Cheers for info so far.
    I suppose I should ask what is Games for windows live, is it any good in relation to cross platform play?
    Also the 60gb appears to be best value for money for me - just need to decide on wether to save some money and buy one 2nd hand

7. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB Vision 3080 10GB
    Check out the game titles and see if a lot of them interests you. I was a pc gamer only person and wasnt much of a console player till couple of months ago. My friend sold me his 360 for about $200 bucks which was a steal cause he included 2 games, another wireless controller, guitar hero guitar.. and wifi.

Since then I probably invested over $400 in games and such. Bought rockband and maybe a couple of brand new title games when they came out.

And now I havent done much of any gaming on my computer, just waiting on Diablo III and Starcraft II then ill get more upgrades for the ol rig, but for now im waiting on 3 RPG games comin for the 360 and Gears of War 2.

I would go for the 60GB version mainly because the Fall big patch will allow you to install the game onto the harddrive thus reducing the constant use of the cd drive and also reducing noise. Now dont get me wrong I love PC gaming and i still do it but its nice to have a small console to move around places go on different tvs aroudn the house or even go to a friends house with your console and it just makes it a lot easier.

If you love multiplayer then you'll love how xbox live works, even though u have to pay for it, its pretty reliable and you get the latest updates on new games and can download demos before they come out to see if you'll like the game.

All new 360s will have HDMI and most likely have the new motherboards/cooling etc... I myself dont have the latest one but I did mod it with a newer fan and it has already an improved cooling and such so im not too worried bout it.

One thing you'll notice if you go with console though is the games will be expensive, even some titles are more expensive than pc versions so while you only buy the console and dont have to constantly upgrade like pc, you do pay for it with the higher up prices when the games first come out.

8. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    I'm a big fan of my 360. I quit pc gaming generally a while ago as not enough titles that interest me come out for PC and my rig was just making me burn holes in my wallet on unnecessary upgrades. The games that did interest me are just ported from consoles, so may as well go to the source :D (gonna miss games like STALKER though :(). Thus i sold my rig, bought a laptop for work (that runs TF2 :D) and bought a 360. I then later got a ps3 from my mate on the cheap since he got a free one at some sony expo in a lottery draw (lolz). Now the ps3 imo is definately the better built machine, but in terms of buying games i have found myself buying far more for the 360 then ps3. Recent jems i have enjoyed are ninja gaiden 2 (solid but rocks), mass effect, skate, halo 3 (fun online), vegas 2 and a few others . I know some of those are on ps3 as well but i prefere the live service and the 360 controller (wheres the rumble !?!?!).

If your looking for a 360, i'd say go for it but get the one thats right for you. The elite is the nicest but kinda pointless if your not gonna take advantage of the extra storage. I think the pro is at the perfect price point. Enjoy buying :).

9. charliehamster

charliehamster Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX-1070
    As long as you`re prepared to expect it to have some sort of hardware failure then wait weeks for Micro$oft to "fix it", then buy a brand new 360.

10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    360 is a great machine game wise, i am glad i had mine for 2 1.2 years of trouble free gaming, if you get that out of the machine your in for a treat.

Games you defiantly need to have on it..
    Crackdown.
    PGR4.
    Gears of war.
    Mass Effect.
    Just cause.
    Condemned.
    Hitman Blood money.
    Splinter Cell DA.
    Kameo.
    Tomb raider Legend.
    Bioshock.
    Call of duty 4.

To name a few....and ignore the nay Sayers who bombard you with the "play it on the PC".....games like Bioshock, Mass effect and Gears need to be played on a big ass HD TV, and seeing as you have one your in for a treat, and almost all of the game i mentioned will be available for a song...

Oh and make sure you get a 360 with a 120gig HD, one of the reasons i got rid of mine was that after 2 1/2 half years of games saves, updates and DLC my small 20gig was just too damn small, and no way i was paying £100 plus for the 120gig MS one....rip off.

Anyway enjoy the games as thats what its all about.

11. irfdude

irfdude Master Guru

GPU:
    8800 gts 320
    Cheers for help guys
    I've been looking around and for some reason the new 60GB version is nearly the same price as the 20 GB version at the moment (in the UK)
    May wait till closer to xmas to see if any decent deals come up.

12. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    That's because the 60GB is to replace the original 20GB version, and has only recently come out.

Obviously, stockists need to shift the 20GB, but don't want to lose too much money on it, so are only making it slightly cheaper. Basically, the only one that will still get cheaper is the 20GB. The 60GB is at it's RRP already.