Thief 4 First Screenshot

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    What is even more surprising is that these cutscenes do NOT appear to be real-time but videos as I've checked the Steam Thief game folder and there's 2 GB of videos in there, including ones titled "TheAccident" and "EnteringTheCity", which are two of the early cutscenes that judder and jerk on both the PS4 and PC (it's far worst on my PC though with the cutscenes actually pausing for a split-second!). [​IMG]

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Hmm to me those scenes clearly look like pre-rendered cutscenes compared to how the sequence looks like in the benchmark and how the actual game looks, they're much smoother in terms of visual style or how to say for one thing. :)

EDIT: This and this is clearly in-game.

http://postimg.org/image/6edvo29en/ / http://postimg.org/image/8pbxs8k67/

Whereas this and this are clearly pre-rendered.

http://postimg.org/image/fj3uyyja7/ / http://postimg.org/image/ly2vvmpzz/
    (Or this - http://postimg.org/image/dtzd4msyn/ )

If the visual difference in style and such isn't a clear indicator (Plus stuff like aliasing.) the framerate should also show this as it would be constant in these sequences and fluctuating in the in-game ones. :)
    (Minus the logo videos there's seven of these cinematic scenes and as said above they are pretty large, between 150 MB up to 500 MB.)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The cutscenes all appear to run at 60 FPS according to EVGA Precision X's framerate counter. However, with this game being 64-bit, the EVGA Precision X overlay only shows the framerate and nothing else so it's harder to spot whether a cutscene is real-time or not (since I cannot see GPU usage).

However, the one at the cathedral where the accicent happens and the one showing Garrett entering the city in a cart are definitely pre-rendered videos yet they run poorly with hitching and momentary pauses. This is absurd considering that the engine runs much better and is far more demanding than a video codec!

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Thats probably the Hz of your monitor not the actual fps.

5. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Some people have also reported stuttering with the 64-bit version of the game, you could try to run it in 32-bit (It has both, runs at 64-bit by default if OS supports.) and see if that works better, I've not noticed any real difference between either though so I'm running it under x64 at the moment.
    (They run the same meaning there's no noticeable stuttering from what I can tell and perform the same too which here is locked to RadeonPro's 59 FPS with a few scenes dropping a bit below that briefly - both versions even look the same.)

6. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    So the game is finally unlocked here and I can look at the achievements.

Expected a no kill one so I have killed no one, now I see it's a don't kill OR knockout anyone.

Screw that.

7. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Yeah, expectations .... they can get in the way of having fun.

8. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
  9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    what is the point of you posting that image ? you wont get the game thats pretty obvious.

10. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3 GU
    What's that, a crusade against this game? :3eyes:

I was critical towards this reboot, only by watching videos though, and I was wrong. Game is fun and without any aid is quite challenging. In addition, if you fail a mission only by getting spotted or blackjacking someone, it gets way more difficult. Yes, it's not a masterpiece like Thief 2, but it's really good, even with its flaws.

11. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Can we replay quests? When game ends all ends?

12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Find the entrance again and you'll be asked if you want to replay the mission. :)
    (The side jobs - those that use special areas - can also be replayed as I understood it but maybe they all have to be finished first.)

13. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    yes, but no markers anymore on (mini) map, just the blue shimmering when you're there where the mission started, you can replay it.

14. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Sorry man, but now your just being a bit pathetic.
    The game is out, and it's very obvious that there are a lot of people here who are really enjoying it.

How about, you just pack it in and stop posting in this thread? Or, play the game. Make up YOUR OWN MIND and then post something.

Yes,
    So long as you can find the entrance to those side missions and chapters you can replay them to get a better score.

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Incidentally, I pre-loaded this game a couple of days ago - it was around 19.4 GB - but last night when the game unlocked it started to download another update to bring the install size to 19.8 GB. However, it took almost 30 minutes for it to download what was 400 MB? The main 19 GBs only took a few hours in total so why was the last stretch so damn slow? It was really frustrating because I was about to go to bed at midnight when I noticed the game had unlocked and was showing Play not Pre-Load on the Steam Library icon. I then ended up not actually playing until after 12:30 which was uber-annoying.

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    P.S. Just remembered that I have Exclusive Fullscreen enabled? What is that exactly and could that be the cause of my performance issues? Should I have Exclusive Fullscreen enabled or disabled (I always play games fullscreen and not in a window by the way)?

17. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3 GU
    Better keeping it enabled, so that the process has the full priority and resources allocated, otherwise you'll play in borderless windowed mode.

18. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yes, keep it enabled.
    I had worse performance with it turned off.

19. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    I really dont like the gameplay, the story seems interesting, but nothing more...Its a really slow pace game, even slower than normal....I will give it another try this weekend, and see if I can get hooked up...

20. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I'm getting this at the moment:

Seems they ran out of Game Keys and need them to release more keys. That's a bit piss poor really!:bang:

Umm, Steam forums full of complaining about this.