Thermaltake adds 3 types 600mm long PCI-Express 4.0 riser cables

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 28, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    Bet they start at 100 bucks.

3. Srsbsns

Srsbsns Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 Liquid
    Im using the 3.0 version of the premium Thermaltake riser with a PCIE 4.0 GPU. Seems like its working fine for me. Whats the point of this if the 3.0 cable works?

4. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX 1080
    It's probably the same thing like AMD did locking out pci-e 4.0 out of the x470 even though it worked and claimed they couldn't guarantee signal integrity or something along those lines but they'll make sure to charge much more just for the pci-e 4.0 badge.
    Currently using the 3.0 version myself and works as advertised, reinstalled a bunch of times so it's pretty durable too.

5. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    I have a coolermaster vertical bracket, and it's not working 100% with pci-e 4.0 with my 3090s. I need to set pci-e 3.0 to get it to work flawless. I'll guess the lack of shielding on the cable, or the total quality of the cable isn't good enough. Company's isn't making overkill cables unless you pay for it.

If it works flawless, my guess is that Thermalltake rise isn't the cheapest one :)

Edit: Looks like the Thermaltake 3.0 premium is about the same price as a 4.0, so the quality is there and the premium price :D