1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thermalright VRM R-6 support thread for HD69xx users

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by davetheshrew, Mar 11, 2011.

1. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some green some red
    hi

as the title says this is to drum up support for new vrm solution for 69xx series cards, they need confirmation that at least 100 people to show strong interest before they spend on new tools and make a fantastic vrm solution for AMD HD69xx cards

keep this thread alive and place your support here by saying if released you will buy :)

support this great small company chaps :)

2. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    I will buy one for sure. The "cheap" vrm cooling I made using a 5870 cooler do not satisfy me at all. We want a vrm cooler for 69xx cards !!

3. davetheshrew

GPU:
    some green some red
    fantstic I will note down all names, there is a thread on tpu forum aswell, trying to get as much support as possible , PM your friends lol

4. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    put me down for one :) ill get shaman and this for my card :)

5. King Kong

King Kong Member

GPU:
    GTX Titan
    If Thermalright is willing to bring it on I'll probably skip Accelero Xtreme Plus... Assuming a full featured Shaman will do better overall...

6. chas1723

chas1723 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Windforce GTX670
    They already know how I feel about this :)

7. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    umm... if you have the reference cooler...

why dont you just do what i did with my old 5850. dismantle the reference cooler, remove the fan, and reuse the baseplate as a heatsink/heatspreader for the vrms and memory.

then just mount a zalman vf2000 or vf3000 to the gpu core and be done with it. it works and saves you time waiting for a proper heatsink/heatspreader. temps on my old 5850s didnt go beyond 55C on core, and vrms stayed below 70C.

8. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    @Sever
    You can't do that on 69xx ;)

9. davetheshrew

GPU:
    some green some red
    brilliant as long as Ive got 100 forum names willing to show strong interest towards this product it will be made and released :) tell your friends peeps :)

10. MRGAY

MRGAY Member

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 6950
    I'm down! Holding back a little until this comes out, i would like proper cooling on all my components. =)

11. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    how so?

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...950-graphics-card-review-the-radeon-6970.html

from looking at the pictures of the baseplate, its more or less the same as on my 5850. just remove the gpu cooler, remove the fan, mount the baseplate. then mount the gpu cooler of your type. the oem baseplate is low profile and wont interfere with most coolers. with my zalman, i had to reposition the baseplate slightly higher which wasnt realy an issue since the holes in the pcb were quite large to begin with.

12. davetheshrew

GPU:
    some green some red
    I like the idea of putting the backplate back on but I would need longer screws and nuts to pull it off clean, you could mount a baseplate for the vrm yes but it would look a pretty ugly hacksaw job plus when you want to sell the card you will ave to sell it with the aftermarket cooler, I prefer to keep mine, keep the names coming :)

13. chas1723

chas1723 Member Guru

GPU:
    I really hope you get your 100 names.

14. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    how would it look like a hacksaw job? everything unscrews. when you decide to sell the card, you can remove your aftermarket gpu cooler, re-screw the fan on, re-mount the gpu heatsink, and then remount the shroud.

15. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    @ Sever

That's why I said you can't do that with 69xx (same with 5870 too). Unlike with the 5850 cooler, you can't remove the copper block, and the fins/vapor chamber are glued to the base. You can't dismantle it without breaking it.

16. chas1723

chas1723 Member Guru

GPU:
    Well Dave I finally decided to take my card over the 900mhz hump. I was running 900/1300 @1.175. Now I am running 950/1300 @ 1.25. Working on stability testing now. The Shaman is taking the heat fine and it has maxed out at about 60*C running BOINC for several hours. That 60* is only a spike in temp for a second then it drops back to around 50-55*. All in all it looks good for this speed/voltage. I will work on memory clocks more at a later time. Still looking foreward to the VRM cooler if it comes out.

17. davetheshrew

GPU:
    some green some red
    cool man so I take it your down for a new vrm solution :)

I couldnt be bothered arguing the toss about the base sever sorry, I was right tho lol

chas yeah mate a vrm solution WILL come out as long as enough members see this support thread, basically once I see enough people I then send them the link and bingo, we will have vrm coolers :) This isnt just some attempt by me, thermalright asked me to do it :)

18. chas1723

chas1723 Member Guru

GPU:
    I need the VRM cooler and for Bulldozer to come out then I will be set :)

19. main_shoby

main_shoby Maha Guru

GPU:
    980Ti Qnix 2710 96Hz
    HELLLL YEAH !...
    =/ signing in!

20. davetheshrew

GPU:
    some green some red
    sweet man :) keep em coming, tell your friends :)