Thermal paste question - Is it dried up?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mkilbride, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    So my CPU has been having a huge flare in CPU temps, about 58-65c under 100% load. It's a Q6600 @ 3.4GHZ, it's been OC'ed on that for about 2 years now. I cleaned out the fan, and re-adjusted the heatsink, but the temps are getting pretty bad.

I'm getting BSOD's, but it's win2k.sys which I'm pretty sure is unrelated, but it can't hurt to at least fix a problem like this.

Anyways, I decided to Prime95 it...failure in barely a minute. Obviously, these two years have taken it's toll... but it seems like such a quick two years, it's hard to believe I was just saying "Meh, an OC like this will last long enough until I get another CPU..." but now I'm at the crossroads, I think.

So I examined the Heatsink and I noted the Thermal Paste was abit thin, and rubbery. Naturally, I was going to clean it and re-apply some, sadly, it seems an idiot decided to chuck it out when they were cleaning, despite instructions not to.

So I was wondering if it's just my CPU going after all this time, I mean an entire 1GHZ OC for two years, or is it just the Thermal Paste going?

I reduced the OC from 3.4GHZ, to 3.0GHZ, and Prime95 has been running for awhile with no errors. The -strange- part is, the Temps are pretty much the same, save 2-3c lower.

I did not change the Voltage, or anything other than the RAM's Hertz to make it a clean 1000. It seems rather stable, but loosing 400MHZ hurts, but stability is better.

Basically, I'm looking for some advice. Sorry I worded this rather oddly, but I haven't slept in quite abit, but will after posting this in hopes of help.

Thank you.

2. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 290 4GB
    If you readjusted the cooler, took it off to inspect the paste, then yes, it would definitely have to be reapplied. AS5, the cooler's stock paste, anything you can get your hands on.

I imagine operating at that much of an overclock for that long would have put it to a pretty good test.