Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme thermal grease has thermal conductivity of 14.2 W/mk

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Still swear by GC extreme. I mean EK waterblocks sends it with there parts.

Airbud likes this.
  2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    TFX is not being scalped. It's still at the same high prices as always--highway robbery. But it's some damn good paste. Longevity is important.

You can get ZF-EX from the Slow Boat from China if you don't mind waiting a month or more. That's where I got mine.
    My TFX however that I ordered from China ($25 shipped) apparently got "lost" departing China then departing Singapore (wtf) and never even arrived in USA. Need to wait another month then apply for refund, so i ordered one from Nan's on Amazon for highway robbery.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001065767770.html
    Might as well buy 4 and get $2 off.

Note:
    My Kryonaut Extreme started to rise in temps on my 3090 Founder's Edition after a few weeks, because it isn't vicious enough for the convex die. TFX (and ZF-EX) is thick enough to not do this.
    So I removed the Kryonaut Extreme and put on some ZF-EX (since I'm currently out of TFX until my order of the last sample from Nan's Gaming Gear (6.2g for $40) comes tomorrow.

The Kryonaut Extreme degrading may be the result of this:
    https://www.igorslab.de/en/geforce-...water-and-air-coolers-so-heavy-investigative/

ZXRaziel, jura11 and Neo Cyrus like this.
  3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Thanks very much for all the info, I wasn't hopeful that I'd even get a response. I think I will go ahead and order some ZF-EX, even though I've never heard of it, it seems legit. I heard one person say it's the same thing as TFX, what is it exactly?

The 2 off is 2% though not $2, so $0.11 off each for orders of 4+. But I think I'm going to order 4 anyway since it takes forever to arrive and I assume it doesn't exactly go bad/dry up since in my experience most decent pastes are seemingly the same performance even after sitting in the tube for over a year.

Edit: I'm not sure which buyer to buy from, does the "Free Return" marking matter for any issues?

I was going order from this seller which has been open for 3 years for having the cheapest price while offering 16-26 day shipping - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001149063232.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.622d3c00iDFaQQ&mp=1

Edit 2: WTF is this BS? I applied $5 of discount coupons, they did NOT apply, it charged me full price, and it gives no option to cancel and just says it's processing to ship. The cancel button doesn't appear where their FAQ shows it will.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Noctua NT-H1 or NT-H2 is good, I have used that one for while, if you are not scared buying from Aliexpress then I would suggest get Thermalright TFX or ZF-EX

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    I won't touch EK Ecotherm or Gelid GC-Extreme, used only once on my brother loop, because I run out from TIM and been so disappointed by temperatures, replaced by Noctua NT-H1 and everything went back to normal, difference between the Gelid and NT-H1 has been like 2-5°C on waterblock

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

6. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    You can check if the coupon applied by checking out before paying. I do that many times. Many shops don't accept aliexpress balance and some don't accept certain coupons.
    I just checked just now. On the "order review" page, which has the Paypal button on the right side, you can see what applied and what doesn't apply.

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The coupon had showed as applied already, that's the issue I have with it, and that's why it's so frustrating, aside from the complete lack of a cancel option. I thought AliExpress themselves have to swallow the cost of their own coupons? It showed two categories, one from the seller which was just $1, and $5 in a separate category for AliExpress themselves.

8. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Literally bought thermal paste last week to install the 5900X, went with a classic: the ARCTIC MX-4, but if you guys have recommendations i'm listening !

Thermal paste for a corsair AIO ? Better than MX-4 ?

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    You have to warm GC up first in your hand or place it in the sun. It makes things so much easier.

BTW I’ve used NT-H1 as well and had the opposite experience. Except the NT-H1 wasn’t “horrible” it was fine. Gelid GC was just better when applied correctly.

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I just used the goop that came with the Noctua DH15 fan figured it'd be good enough but I am sure if you're more into characteristics and performance of different thermal interface materials I think is how that's called you can find some really interesting stuff for this stuff and the various material inside the paste.

Plus how it works whether it's mostly instant or needs a bit of a warm up first and takes some time to peak or not, there's everything from silver to crystal and then the recent liquid metal versions which are probably really good but a bit costlier and could differ a bit from squash a bit in the center and have it spread out over the rest of the CPU. :D

AMD's chiplet probably also means you want to get those outer core areas nice and covered as well not just the center bit for at least a small further reduction via the TIM.
    I'm far from good with this though, AMD's stock might actually be decent for all I know but aside from the really cheap stuff I think most of it's fairly adequate before you jump up to the high-end tier and enthusiast materials.

EDIT:
    [​IMG]

It does look really snazzy though, just spread that TIM-1000 all over the CPU. Ha ha.
    Well with the whole bit about possible drawbacks and difficulties taken care of first I suppose, conductive properties and whatever else could happen.

The big deal with applying this stuff as I see it is having it running over and having to do cleanup on the pins on the CPU or socket I suppose and of course for AMD you have to do the secret little pull&twist routine not rip&tear as apparently happens because you don't want to break or bend any of the pins.

Don't want to waste all that lovely alcohol on cleanup. :D
    (And yeah just because for clarification and all that no don't actually drink that stuff.)

XenthorX likes this.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Guru3D's AIO results from the last roundup - https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/guru3d_thermal_paste_roundup_2019,12.html

Most people wouldn't bother change MX-4 for the potential 1 or 2C improvement but the hotter your chip gets the bigger the difference becomes. A bigger reason why I'm trying different TIMs is to find one that's longer lasting and stick with that. That'd definitely be Mastergel Maker since that stuff is more solid than moulding clay, but as I said it's being scalped so I'm looking for an alternative.

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Looks like you did it wrong ;)

Loophole35 likes this.
  13. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    is it safe to use the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut on a AIO ? I'll buy it in a blink ofan eye if it is.
    Thanks for the link!

Mine is fully in copper, gonna check my friend google.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Well the seller I requested to cancel my order of 4x ZF-EX so I can re-order and apply the $5 discount didn't read any of my messages and just shipped it. AliExpress is a pile of crap, anything that gives you no way to actually contact real support is. It's a tiny amount lost but it's a joke as that's almost the price of each order. Not sure if I should just eat the loss and let it be, or do something about it, as it's a crock of crap.

This is why I've never used them to order anything expensive, even if it meant I get nothing as it's not available elsewhere. I chose the route of nothing. 99.99% of the stuff available there are knockoffs. I'll stick with paying the Amazon price multiplier.
    I wouldn't bother with liquid metal, aside from the potential of being chemically incompatible (haven't looked up what it's made of/what it reacts with), it's not worth the potential danger IMO. It's a pain to apply, it's a pain to remove, and it can definitely damage board components.

I only use things which are relatively non-reactive, non-curing, and electrically non-conductive.

And of course as I mentioned earlier, long-lasting if I can do anything about it. In Ye Olde Days the only real option around was AS5, and I learned quickly that AS5 dries up on me long before its 200 hour curing time, and turns into 0 performance crap. I switched to MX-4 when I realized stock of things not named AS5 had become common and that lasts significantly longer and doesn't need to cure for its advertised performance. It's what I always recommend to those not going for something exotic-ish, due to availability, better than 0 longevity, and relatively non-insane price.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    XenthorX likes this.