Thermal Compound subsitute??

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by {LSK} Otacon, Oct 28, 2005.

1. {LSK} Otacon

{LSK} Otacon Guest

Would duck tape be an ok thermal compound subsitute? I know this is pry the stupidest question out there, but im tryin to get my old AMD system back up and try to get it working again for the hell of it and the only problem is when i removed the h/f from the CPU the thermal compound came off with it. So basically there is nothing between the CPU and h/f. Or should i just run it without thermal compound?

2. kernell3200

kernell3200 Active Member

GPU:
    Leadtek / A6600 GT/128Mb (580/1.06)
    Just make sure the fan is clean.. it will work fine at least with my brothers celeron 1.7 ghz not problen at all.

some time i use toothpaste lol... it work very good for at least 6 minuts. then temp go higher than normal lol
    it was in a Celeron D 2.8Ghz form a friend of mine.

3. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    This is one area you simply can't half-ass and expect the cpu to live.

Don't use duct tape
    Don't run with nothing.
    It would be best just to leave the old stuff in place then the other two ideas

4. {LSK} Otacon

{LSK} Otacon Guest

Iv ran it without thermal compound before...........I know its not good, but its not that bad is it?

5. daveid

daveid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS + 7300GT DDR3 / 7600GS
    its pretty bad...
    toothpaste does make a decent temporary solution. but why not just use some cheap-o paste? i have hundreds of little packets of cheap thermal paste laying around..
    there are sites that have done comparrisons of different household items you can use.. try finding one of those if you are too cheap to spend $2 on paste to ensure you don't blow a cpu that would cost a lot more to replace..

6. swiftly718

swiftly718 Master Guru

GPU:
    7800GTX/X1950XTX/ 8800GTS(640)
    thats pretty much asking for your proc to die. the best thermal compound to use would be artic silver 5. when i used it (and dont put too much and do intervals of loads) it took my load temps of my x800xtpe from 64ºC to 53ºC and lowered my cpu temps from 53ºC to 46ºC (talk about major voltage too).

7. {LSK} Otacon

{LSK} Otacon Guest

ok good news, im goin to best buy now and while im there ill pick up some thermal compound. If they dont have any i might go over to microcenter and if im there i might as well get some heatsinks and fans.

Here is what my old mobo, cpu, ram, and video card set up was:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2005
  8. swiftly718

swiftly718 Master Guru

GPU:
    7800GTX/X1950XTX/ 8800GTS(640)
  9. {LSK} Otacon

{LSK} Otacon Guest

good news, i have the thermal compound and it is Dynex Silver Thermal Compund. and its sonductivity is 9.2428 W/ m.c.

No such luck, my old system still wont boot up. Ok heres the problem, a few months ago before i got my new mobo and processor i had an AMD system. And it was pretty good and all and after a few months when i got it i had OCed and then lowered the clocks back to stock so hopefully it would last longer. A few months after that, i was stupid and tried to hook up to mobos to my 300watt psu and boom the psu shut off and didnt turn back on for a few weeks. When i finally got the psu to turn back on, the mobo wouldnt do anything and the cpu wouldnt even heat up nothing on the mobo heats up. Like the mobo aint gettin any power. But my psu powers my 500watt amp fine. Any ideas on what the problem is?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2005
  10. hartofalyon

hartofalyon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512mb
    sounds like ur mobo is fried.

11. Jacku62

Jacku62 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 690
    check for poped compassiors... if so .... pc chips has a realy cheap board from newegg for like $20