THEORY: The Mouse Will be Used Until Mind-Controlled Input Is a Thing

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Size_Mick, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    I've thought about this in my idle time for many years and I think I'm right, because who the heck wants to move more than they absolutely must to do something on a computer? Loonies, that's who! :p

No amount of hand-waving or finger-swiping b.s. will ever displace the mighty computer mouse. The ONLY thing that might be easier is direct brain (or maybe, maybe eye) input. Don't think I didn't think of trackball devices; I'd lump them in the same category as a mouse. I just like to check these ideas against the mob to see if I'm anywhere near reality. Let me know your opinions, mobsters!

And hey, just in case this idea is totally original, when 3D monitors become standard then they could just add a slider to the side of the mouse that your thumb can move forward and backward, for zoom in/out in 3D GUIs (or whatever -- it could be assignable). I THOUGHT OF THIS FIRST (I hope). Now that I think about it more, I guess it could also be another wheel like the scroll wheel, just on the side. Anyhow that will save you from having to dual-purpose the scroll wheel or the other buttons. It might be useful, after all, to scroll AND zoom at the same time, under the right conditions.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    airbud7 likes this.
  2. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    I would love to agree with you on this one but I seriously believe it is a generational thing. I hate touch screens, they are awful and I have never found a single touch screen device that can do the job quicker and easier than a proper keyboard or mouse or button input device. A lot of that comes down to awful design, poorly designed software and lazy and awful hepatic feedback but on the flip side my niece and nephew have no issues with touch devices and can use them like they are second nature on the other hand though give them a mouse and keyboard and they are utterly lost.

Their is a very serious divide between the generations that started off with touchscreens and those that started off with keyboard and mouse. Although if anyone was to do any real testing of speed and accuracy between task done on touch screen vs task done on a keyboard and mouse I would bet on the mouse and keyboard winning out no matter what

Size_Mick and airbud7 like this.
  3. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I love my mouse

[​IMG]

mkh, Undying, Size_Mick and 1 other person like this.
  4. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Member Guru

GPU:
    igpu

5. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I remember the first time I learned what the thumb button did on a mouse...I said to myself, self...you mean I don't have to move nothing but my thumb to make the page go back?

I was like, Cool... that's cool right there!

Size_Mick and Tiny_Clanger like this.
  6. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    I can't live with anything less than a 5-button mouse. That's the BARE MINIMUM. Why anyone continues to make 3-button or 2-button mice is beyond me.

I really want to get a gaming mouse with more than 5 buttons but it seems like they jump straight to 12-button or higher and I don't think I want that many lol.

airbud7 likes this.
  7. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    There were some brainwave based headmounted controllers being launched about a decade ago. Then things went quiet again afaik.

Size_Mick likes this.
  8. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I won't trust my mind to control anything. Mouse for live for me.

airbud7 and Size_Mick like this.
  9. Gabriele Coulson

Gabriele Coulson Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1060
    People who are paralyzed use eye tracking and afaik it's slow and inefficient so I don't believe that it could possibly become a thing for able bodied people. Mind control though would be neat, though I'm curious how the pc would interpret my random thought patterns.
    Ok, I just realized why I would never use mind controlled input and it's exactly the same reason why I refuse to use voice commands - data mining. Yeah, it's far fetched, but imagine if corporation could literally data mine your brain because you decide to hook it up to their silly device. Yeah, no thanks. Back to analog.

airbud7 and Size_Mick like this.
  10. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    They wouldn't stop there by a long shot. No, they'd want a way to insert ads directly into your thoughts surreptitiously. Nothing beats a reliable consumer.

11. YankeeDiver

YankeeDiver Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX790
    Head and eye tracking will be out long before mind control. Plus if there is a mind control mouse why stop there. Get rid of the keyboard at the same time. Now that I think about it. Why stop there. If you can trol the mouse and keyboard with your mind why not have inputs directly into your head. No need to be at your computer. You can have your inputs and outputs go remotely to your PC via the new 8G cellulare network.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    mouses and keyboard will be used til mind input happens imo too, touch screen horrid especial for gaming and pretty much everything else as far as i concerned, who want to be touch there screen and getting finger prints and scratch on it? my ocd was recently trigger by all the nicks and scratches on my ipad which only year old. and that is on 9 inch screen if everything moved to touched screen I be pissed 50 inch screen that touch? or even bigger get out here that is crazy.

Mouse and keyboard are not going anyway any time soon, only way I see touch being a good thing is IF the screen it self is nothing more then hologram projection so touch the "screen" would leave no scratch or nicks but I think we are long way away from that, and all this screens that "supposedly" fingerprint scratch resistant arent even close to resistant that stuff. my eyes lens are supposed to fingerprint and smug resistant my ipad screen protector I recently got is supposed to finger print and smudge resistant. I call bs on all they no better then normal lens or protectors.

Eye and head tracking could be usefull to point I guess that could be used for mouse moving, but button input? i dont see how that could ever work. but then that bring up the need for camera for pc, which i dont own for my pc and probably never will. and paranios people will say that camera could be remotely actives and or hacked, which it can be.

You know those cell towers and the other ones that "look" like cell tower but there really not ? they can be and are be used to collected data on everything you say on phone, text, search on your smart phones. some states even banned those towers cause of that fact. Privacy is gone and there more thing have cameras and mics attached the more is gona be lost. image the ramification of have you mind attached to this stuff ads direct to brains among other doors that would open.

Mouse and keyboard are going no where any time soon if ever I dont even see VR headsets and gloves or what ever replacing them.