Themratake BlacX + HD diagnostics

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by yleclerc, Jan 24, 2011.

1. yleclerc

yleclerc Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1660 6GB
    Has anyone been able to use a Thermatake BlacX external docking station with the various hard drive diagnostics? I had a Caviar Black die on me this past December 26, 2010. I got it replaced under warranty and I have now been trying to find an external disk docking station that will work with the WD Data Lifeguard diagnostics. I tried a Thermatake BlacX (N0028USU) but it never worked with the software.

Also, which one: BlacX 5G or Duet ????

2. yleclerc

yleclerc Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1660 6GB
    FYI: I decided on "neither" product. I have successfully used the Startech SATDOCKU3S USB 3.0 SATA docking system.

3. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    I'm glad you decided not to get the Thermaltake BlacX. My PSU died in a thunderstorm and I went to check my hard drives in the BlacX and all they did was go "click, click, click" and never actually spun up.

So a week later when I got my new PSU installed I decided I'd throw the hard drives back in the computer just for sh!ts and giggles to see if it worked, and low and behold, everything worked perfectly.

Moral of the story is; the BlacX isn't as great as I thought it was and I most definitely won't be using it anymore.

4. yleclerc

yleclerc Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1660 6GB
    I did try the Thermatake BlacX (N0028USU) and it did not find the SMART or the WD diagnostics. I returned it and was trying to find if the newer modules would work. However, I never got a good answers even on Thermatake forums. I happened to have access the Startech unit and it worked.