The XBox One X

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Mike Z, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Well, people haven't spent as much this year on other stuff (for a multitude of compounded reasons) and this has led to a very unpredictable value-shift for consumers. As for the "S" model sales numbers...this has done nothing but prove MS wrong, as, they could have NOT created the "S" in response to Sony's "Digital Edition" and; made a lot of cash.

This was a difficult call for them, and I do commend the effort to release the "S" as a knee-jerk reaction to Sony - but they could have made more cash by focusing themselves, and; created a more dedicated perception in the eyes of potential customers, instead of (very clearly) making potential customers with a lot of doubts over the direction MS is going to go.

Doesn't the "S" look a little bit too similar to the Xbox One S All-Digital Edition, that came out in May last year?

Other than the design of the XBSX - I think MS got the specifications right this time around, other than NOT using full-bandwidth HDMI 2.1; which is really what they should have done with the XB1.

The XB1...jeez that was a bad choice for them, with SIX variants (not even counting the varaints with different HDD's in them!)...which is the major problem for potential customers as mentioned, as it shows a lack of dedication and focus.

The Xbox One S All-Digital Edition got it the worst though, as it was discontinued 14 months after it was released (July this year).

So yeah, I just think they should have committed themselves to one design and one version, with no tap-dancing around the technology for no good reason (as proven by the sales numbers).

Their sales numbers are good - and that's the problem!

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I hear the Xbox series s has 364gb usable out of the box... what a joke

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  3. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
  4. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    it's the Series S that has the 364gb

dark_surge likes this.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
  6. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    I agree. I know it's to keep the cost down but suddenly it feels like it's 2010 again.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    If only game where size they were back in 2010.

dark_surge and gmavignier like this.
  8. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    OM!G...those loading times, makes my XBX look like it's running on coal, and FH4 is a loooong loading game even on the XBX, but this £250 console just knocks it out the park, just amazing.

dark_surge likes this.
  9. Pandora's Box

Pandora's Box Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultr
    My series x has shipped, will arrive tomorrow (Nov. 10th)

10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    It is, but the plus side is any Xbox One title can still be stored on an external USB 3.0 or 3.1 hard drive. Which considering right now there are only a couple actual games optimized for the Series S/X like Fortnite and Gears 5, games that were made for the One you can just throw on the external drive.

It also looks like the external memory card unit is just m.2 NVME pinout. Sooner or later I wouldn't be surprised if we saw an adapter to use for this.

Edit- Actually reading into this, the card is not NVME. Instead it's still PCIE4, but it uses CFExpress interface. So I'm wondering if there's some hackery that could be done to use this standard with any card?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020

11. itpro

itpro Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Technologies
    As I imagined after reading and watching reviews and gameplays. Xbox one x has superior image quality when game is not series s|x optimized. All series s games are the same as Xbox one s. Only when game is optimized for series x|s upgrades image quality for series s console. So, Xbox Series X is the only upgrade available for Xbox one x, as all games are pre enhanced for one x.

12. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Just play the PC version for superior IQ.

13. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    So who wants to play Nintendo and Sony games on their XBS.......that's right....everyone! lol.

This box just keep getting better.....£20 to allow you to run retorarch emulator on the console, this is just amazing.

14. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti
    What about Series X?

15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^He states in the video that both the S and X series have developer mode that you can unlock for £20, so i assume he is just showing the S series version because that is all he could get his hands on at this time, but there are other videos already up of people showing you how to install retroarch on both consoles in developer mode. ;)

signex likes this.

16. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti
    Yea sorry was a stupid question on my part lol.
    Is this safe to do? I don't want to break anything.
    Atm I can't afford it after buying series X and 4K monitor with new speakers.

17. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    The Dev mode is a offical feature, so you just pay the £20 to unlock it and away you go, so what basically happens is you switch your console over to a dev mode which means it will no longer run retail software, then you can install retroarch and away you go, and you can switch the console back to normal retail mode when you want, here is a video that shows you how that is quick and easy.

This all seems somewhat like Sidequest on the Oculus quest 2 where you buy the app from the oculus Q2 store then install sidequest via the developermode so you can do tons more stuff, it is great. ;)

signex likes this.
  18. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti
    Ah ok gotcha, what about other stuff? Would a streaming service work like Stadia or GeForce Now?

I was actually bummed out that cross progression did not work from PC to Xbox with The Division 2.
    That would be amazing if I could use GeForce Now on it through developer mode.

19. itpro

itpro Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Technologies
    Almost all games look greater or equal on ps5.

XSX is downgraded due to the trash 720p/1080p XSS.

All people should return that piece of **** to boycott this.

Only XSX should exist. Microsoft could do it like ps5. An all digital one and one with disc drive.

20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Developer mode for obvious reason won't allow retail stuff to run while in that mode as that would allow the pirates in the back door along with those who want to use the mode to develop apps and stuff like emulation, but it's a nice little feature for £20, something i will be doing the moment i get one, and it will allow me to at last lay my orignal xbox to rest which has done fantastic service as a retro box.....rest easy old friend. lol