The Witcher Problem

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by spamkebab, Mar 26, 2011.

1. spamkebab

spamkebab Member Guru

GPU:
    inno3d 480gtx
    Just bought and downloaded from steam and when i try to run (install) i get the error "failed to contact key server". Anyone know what this is?

Thanx
    Spam.

2. spamkebab

spamkebab Member Guru

GPU:
    inno3d 480gtx
    Bump!
    anybody? please i'm dying to play this so i can start the second one as soon as.

3. spamkebab

spamkebab Member Guru

GPU:
    inno3d 480gtx
    apparently it looks like steam have run out of cd keys for this game accordinbg to other steam users and forums. I'll just have to wait. Thanx everybody lol

4. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    Same thing happened with Prey some time ago, don't recall what they ended up doing however.

5. spamkebab

spamkebab Member Guru

GPU:
    inno3d 480gtx
    i should sue em for ruining my weekend lol, looks like i got to wait a couple of days.

6. Straykatt

Straykatt Maha Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Wow! This is the same BS thats happening to me. I cant believe how cheap steam is. This is my first and last time I purchase a game from them. Any luck or still a no go?

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    So that's what it was, annoying then, I use Gamersgate a lot but there are also other D2D alternatives if Steam is giving you issues though I use it as well. :)

8. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Uh, they sold so many that they ran out of keys, and that's bull****? How cheap they are?

Last time you buy a game from them?

Some idiot comments in here. Developer gives Steam a bucket of keys and says there, put the game on sale. They managed to out-sell the number of keys given, so it takes time to get more from the developer.

Not Steams fault. Not even the developers fault, as there is no fault here. Do you blame a store when it runs out of the game you wanted?

9. Straykatt

Straykatt Maha Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Look pal. If there sold out, they need to indicate this before you buy. Hello, consumer here. I only purchased from steam for convience. If I would have know this I would have gone to frys or best buy to make the purchase. But now I'm subject to this, now I'm on there time and it's my Sunday. Having a few hours to yourself on Sunday is all a man gets. You know what I mean?

10. honkeykrakker

honkeykrakker Master Guru

GPU:
    I took out the rest because they were generally good comments.

But, if you go to a store and they have run out they do not take your money and say, "We will get to you when/if we get some more Keys.".

So, no you do not blame a store for running out of a game.

11. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    It's not if, it's when. They will get more keys.

This is happened before. Also, go ahead and find it in a store for as cheap.

Of all the reasons people bash Steam, this has to be one of the stupidest I've seen, next to "it takes up to much system resources(512KB)"

12. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    It's not STEAM, it's the publisher.

2K hasn't coded anymore keys for PREY, so the game is no longer sold on STEAM.

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Should be making the game unavailable if they ran out keys, but they won't as they don't want you going elsewhere, so its a little dishonest.

Ridiculous to compare it to a shop running out of stock, or it would be comparable to them running out of stock, but selling empty cases to stop you going to another shop.

Imagine if that happened, you get home, empty case, pissed off as it is, you go back to the shop, and they go "yeah, we ran out of stock, but will let you know when we get more back in"
    You'd throw the case at them and demand a refund, DD shouldn't be any different.

Hope you get it sorted though.

14. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    And Steam will give you a refund if you ask for it.

And the problem is they all sold so fast they had no time to put up they were out, they just sold that fast.

Christ, no one bitched at this in the past.

15. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Paying for a game and then not being able to play it is totally justifiable /s

If I bought a game at retail and they had run out but charged me anyway and put an empty box in my bag......I would be pissed.

Damn steam fanboys are irrational, he has every right to be concerned.

16. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280
    IF steam is given a set number of keys to sell and they keep selling the game even when they run out of keys, then STEAM is at fault. However, if steam do not know how many keys are left and the key are generated using a offsite generator by the publisher or developer, then steam is merely a conduit and I think they shouldn't be blame.

What if the game retailer sold products with the same key without knowing it since the packaging is done by the publisher?

P.S We don't know what exactly is going on atm other than not able to install the game.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2204-OPGC-4862

Maybe they should consider stop selling the game if they run out of key.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  17. spamkebab

spamkebab Member Guru

GPU:
    inno3d 480gtx
    Hey i got to finally install it this morning. A bit pissed that i didn't get sunday on it but on the bright side i have all week to make room for next sunday lol. I must add though that i'm glad i didn't demand my money back, after watching the intro movie i'm quite hyped for this game. Had my sound up loud and enjoyed the movie, prolly the best opening i've seen yet.
    Brill for an old game.

18. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX1080 Ti
    I started the Witcher a few days ago, been absolutely hooked. The best RPG i've ever played bar none. Certainly miles better than the average Dragon Age i finished.

19. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    ^ ugghhh, I feel like a fedex delivery man.

Run around talk to everyone takes an hour, oh great the quest progressed now I gotta do it all over again. The kicker is I have to now redo every conversation, even the greyed out stuff to get the progression I need
    for example I had to give a second hit of fisstech to the dungeon guard to prove ?filch? I think, innocent; that required looking up a spoiler site
    However, I'm only about 2/3 through chapter 2 maybe it'll improve.

also had a bug on the main screen, couldn't see my mouse cursor but I figured out that holding down the shift key will make it appear.

/the tits are nice though

20. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    glad to see more people playing The Witcher..i said when it got released, best RPG game i ever played, and i'll saw it again..it seems like The Witcher 2, got a lot of people hyped up, and a lot of them who didn't bothered with the first are now playing it and loving it..i hope the second one gets this support from us, CD Projekt deserves our support for making great PC only games..

cheers dude, glad you got your key and you enjoy the game