The Witcher [Netflix]

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by WhiteLightning, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    What difference does the age of the voice actress make? How old did she look in the game?
    If the Witcher has similar success to GoT, Anya Chalotra will grow into the 30-35 year old woman needed for the part.

[​IMG]

2. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    ^
    I explained on page 7. :)

A little Trivia about "Netflix-The Witcher":
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5180504/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv

Looks like you're a unhappy wo-man,who cares about other wo-men than themselve. ;)
    Ohh and Kathy its that you there?Dont be ridiculous,enjoy your life with family & friends.

3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    ?

Explain...

Neo Cyrus, airbud7, Icanium and 2 others like this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    If it needs to be explained, its not worth explaining.

5. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I've seen people complain about ages and races in the show. You guys need to learn to suspend your disbelief. These are minor things.

What matters from an actor is less about age and race, and more how well they act. And on that front the Witcher is somewhere between a "CW show" and a "HBO show" so far. Kinda leaning into CW territory for me unfortunately. Not unwatchable, may improve in time.

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    So, why say it then?

This is a forum - explanation is expected if your point was not clear. It wasn't clear what your point was, so I politely asked for clarification, in truth; because it was almost as if you were accusing other gurus of something, but I wasn't sure whether it was that, or perhaps passive agressiveness? I didn't know.

If you are casting aspersions, I guess I just didn't want to be standing against the wall facing a firing squad if I was innocent.

If you were to go back and rethink your contested point and bring it forward, instead of the remark, I'd be interested in reading it.

No more, no less.

airbud7, yasamoka and Solfaur like this.
  7. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    @Loobyluggs some folks think women are docile little creatures so delicate you have to watch what you say....constantly walking on eggshells if women are around....Shhhh, don't say that there's a woman present!....mind your manners there's ladies present!...you know...all that etiquette bullshit!

PS: I know you're tough as nails!

Neo Cyrus and Loobyluggs like this.
  8. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    @airbud7 Be careful doggy because you know once the Professional Outrage merchants start flinging insults at you mud sticks, especially to fur :D

airbud7 likes this.
  9. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    throw the insults, I'm ready!

[​IMG]
    :D

10. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu

11. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I just finished watching season 1. It was good for the most part, although I had some trouble following along with the timeline. Can't wait for season 2.

And I have to say, it's surreal reading all the comments about Yennifer and her age - is this really the thing to focus on?

Repo Man likes this.
  12. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    A nice interview with serie producer notably, skip ahead to 7:10 :

13. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    I too finally finished the season the other night and I really liked it! It wasn't without faults but its a really strong base to start building on. Bring on season 2!

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That lady flawlessly explained that she is idiot without fault. Amount of false statements, misunderstandings, wrong motivations behind her decisions, and wrong influences... in those few minutes was almost unbelievable.

- Reason for time jumps: She wanted Strong Female Characters on screen (Ciri, Yennefer) but Ciri was not alive in books.
    - > That was very wrong reason and false as well since Ciri was actually alive. And if she did not rearrange even order of chapters from book, Yennefer's introductory episode would happen earlier.
    - > Her inspiration in time jumps was Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk. (Last Wish book is actually kind of recollection where "Voice of Reason" is cut into parts by each of those stories.) So, she probably not understood that. And had to get "inspiration" from elsewhere.
    - She wanted to honor the books... Failed miserably. Turning Geralt into murderer.
    - She believes that she is tracking characters as broken family that's coming together.
    - > Yet, nobody can really explain why she REMOVED Geralt's interaction with Ciri and replaced him with random bad guy in Brokilon.
    - She succeeded in one of her goals: Put Geralt on some path and them mess it up.
    - But only thing which she really did well was Yennefer's origin story. That exactly explains her focus and what was important to her.
    - > It had bad consequences in making story of others duller (lack of focus on important details) and other characters weaker. Just so Yennefer can stand out and be OP.

That description she gives on 12:28 is scary as hell.

I just hope that some of actors actually take books and read them. Maybe they can influence direction of show and maybe move it on some better path.

Solfaur likes this.
  15. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600

16. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Embra likes this.
  17. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I watched season 1 yesterday,was simply enjoyable to watch.The visual were stunning in this series.

XenthorX likes this.
  18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Watched the season through, here's my thoughts:

Actors:
    Calville really surprised me, since I can deal with only one sword, but he really brings the character along. His brooding, monosyllabic Geralt really works for me.
    Ciri, well what to say about the least impressive role there, a girl effectively running away all the time?
    Yennifer, good actress, but somehow she does not represent what I expected of Yennifer. Maybe I'm too biased by the games, Yennifer's image from W3 still sticks with me. Although, the first parts where she was still showing her birth handycap, were excellent in acting. So I still think I'll be able to live with it.
    Dandelion, yeah works good.

Generally the show seems to be good on production, enough money pushed into CGI as well, script seems fair and ok. But you can feel how changing directors has a crealy noticable impact on quality (and popular rating) of different episodes.

All in all: will definitely watch S2 whenever it comes, and it will be made since already I've read statements that this S1 of the Witcher was one of the most popular show premier seasons on Netflix ever.

I have not read the books tbh, but as with all adaptions of great books, this is only an adaption based on who does it. Watched that vid with the producer there as well (linked a few posts above mine) and what that lady obviously didn't get is that Dunkirk was an utterly boring and uninteresting movie. Could have been really great, but was soooooo boooooooring. Really bad. To see that as her influence, it still, surprisingly, turned out rather good :D

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    ShadowDuke and XenthorX like this.
  19. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    The great thing about reading books is that one uses their own imagination on how the characters look etc...
    I would hope the creators of the series are purely guided by the books and not the games.

I really enjoyed the first season and look forward for the next.

XenthorX likes this.
  20. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Still got two episodes to go however it's clear that the entire first seasons was cobbled together from a collection of short stories in which the time lines linking them were pretty weak even within the original source materials. The result of that can be seen in the show as Geralt's story arc seems to be a random assortment of events that are loosely connected together with nothing more than the odd mention of events from previous episodes. Ciri's storyline is pretty much par of the course with the book, then again she doesn't do much in books anyway other than running away and won't come in to her own for quite a while yet, although she will keep doing an awful lot of running away.

Yennfer's story arc in the show is the stand out and actually goes a long way to show what the creators could do if they don't stick purely to the source material. Almost her entire backstory was original, I can't remember ever seeing any details about it in the books, vague hints yes but an entire arc that shows how she came to be the person she came to be. It's one example of the show actually doing better than the books and even with her story taking place over a good few decades and having at least two time jumps it felt better stuck together than Geralts season 1 arc.

The first season suffered from a few flaws. It's quite clear that if you aren't a fan and haven't read the books you're going to be a bit confused about the pacing and timing of events on top of that it doesn't really do a great deal of world building which in turn is actually hindered by the time jumping going on between characters. Additonally it tosses off regions and locations names without so much as any real back story or explanation to who or what they are or their influence on the world as a whole. I can't say if that's due to the creators trying to stick to the short story glued together time jumping format of the character story delivery or because they just didn;t want to get in to to much detail as they wanted to focus the first season on introducing the main characters but I suspect that with the second season they will be firmly in to the actual long game story from the later 5 (or is it 6 books) which should in turn allow them the opportunity to do a bit more detailed and linear story telling.

Oh I know they will have to keep jumping around between characters because that's what happens with the books but with them all being in the same time frame it should at least make a tad more sense to the outside viewer.

I also explained the first season to a colleague who wasn't familar with The Witcher but watched the show and mentioned the time jumping.

Ciri's story is the present, it's the big cheese and what will go on to be the focus of show proper and the main bulk of the main books
    Geralt's story is set around 15 to 20 years prior to Ciri's and is based on a collection of short stories or the first two books.
    Yennefer's story is new, events are hinted at in the books but the detail is original and starts some 40 odd years before Ciris

Icanium likes this.