The Witcher [Netflix]

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by WhiteLightning, Jul 20, 2019.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    What makes me laugh is that most the people who hate PC culture are the first the moan and complain about a fictional character being changed in anyway at all.... I mean.... its fictional.... who cares? Its not as if its a biopic on Hitler being played by a goat now is it? Though I do agree all this "woke" stuff now just feels totally forced. But the other funny thing is, the more people complain and moan about it the more they will just keep on doing it as it generates basically free advertisement for them.

Icanium and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I have no problem with the casting of The Witcher at all.

airbud7 and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Henry is a nice guy for sure, but, everytime I see him in that get-up, he looks like a cosplay winner, not The Witcher. Y'see? We all know it's an actor that went through hours of makeup and wardrobe, and after he casts some magic, he'll go off stage right, and eat a veggie burger, maybe some mac and cheese.

And his voice is not that deep, he needs to gargle some rusty nails to really get into character.

I know it's a weak point I'm making, as we could all say the same thing about any actor/actress who has to wear a silly costume, but Henry...he's not that great of an actor to convince my brain to turn off the 'suspension of disbelief switch'.

Ian McKellen can convince me that he is Gandalf - evne though I know he is wearing a long white wig and cloak, but that is because he's a great actor.

Henry isn't. Just isn't.

4. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    I don't like Henry in the role either. As someone else said, he looks like a roid-freak while Geralt is supposed to be an agile sword-dancer.

5. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I have to respectfully disagree. Nothing personal but I think Henry will nail this role.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  6. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    [​IMG]

Dragam1337 and Solfaur like this.
  7. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080TI 11gb
    I think so too, he is very passionate about play Geralt as he is apparently a fan of the books and games.

He is a buff dude, but the armor seems to fit him well. I believe.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  8. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    I'll begin with the disclosure that I haven't read any Witcher books, but, as I believe Loobyluggs indicates, that shouldn't be an impediment to offering an opinion on this trailer.

I don't much care for it. I don't like the short, rapid editing. I didn't particularly like the musical score. And, I think it did a poor job of providing someone who knows neither about the books or games a reason to want to watch. And, Geralt most definitely needs some facial hair.

The writing is cringe-worthy. "Chaos is the most dangerous thing in this World. But, without control, Chaos will kill you." What? If that is a quote from the books, I can only hope it's a poor translation. It sounds like a swords-and-sorcery parody. I'd almost expect Leslie Nielsen in the next scene. In armor, of course. This kind of production doesn't have to be written in a manner anticipating that every spoken line might someday be quoted in someone's forum signature. Or delivered as though you're auditioning to join the Royal Shakespeare Company.

I gather that is supposed to be Triss at 0:45? I would have thought she would have been imagined by the producers as someone a bit more Central or Western European. My mistake. While it's perfectly fine that this Netflix production is closely based on the Witcher books, I'd say for a great many people, the Witcher universe is known only by way of the games. Fair or not, I'd say a substantial amount of this production's success would hinge on not totally ignoring the games impact, and, at least affording some degree of respect to their content. After all, at least part of the show's focus should be on not being cancelled.

Dragam1337, Loobyluggs and Solfaur like this.
  9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    New video analysis from a 'tuber I follow with reverence on creative writing. Detailed and compelling stuff, enjoy:

10. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Today's the day.

I'm looking forward to giving this a go when I finish work. I do however have really mixed feelings about this, back when I had just finished Witcher 3's last expansion I would have been really hyped but a fair bit of time has passed since and while I still love all things The Witcher and I really want this to be good, I know for a fact that Netflix is more than capable of completely destroying it.

My only real complaint thus far is that the person playing Yennefer, while I'm sure is a perfectly capable actress at least judging from the little footage I've seen so far and rather easy on my heterosexual male eyes of mine I might add... I dunno, I just don't get a Yennefer vibe from her but I guess thats my fault for having such a strong image of the game version of Yenn in my head.

Solfaur likes this.

11. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    the very first episode has better fight choreography than an entire new Star Wars trilogy let that sink in a momment as i had hoped Henry does idd NAIL his openin turn as Geralt regardless of if he layin down humans or idly discussin tales of old with his good friend roach as his one and only true ever present companion. just as the game he eats up the screen in every single scene often movin as a hulkin gentle giant complete with poise and grace right before he switches into beast mode then right back again you can tell Henry is completely aware of how his portrayal esp physically is bein studied by fans and how it will be dissected piece by piece, justice is however done.

not sold on yenn or ciri like repo says the mental image that has been crafted for them both is so strong n engraved to our psyche visualy its rly difficult to pull that away and be more acceptin of somethin else esp when geralt himself looks and sounds so close to the source material we know n love. i never got into got but one episode in on Witcher and im already ready for more later tonight.

the world it sets is both believable and thick with dangers production value is great even if some actin could be a bit better i rly enjoy the dialogue again Henry carries the role better than i ever thought he could seein him in motion scene to scene yer he is Geralt and i cant wait to watch his character grow.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Solfaur, Repo Man and airbud7 like this.
  12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    First episode............................................ WOW!!!!

Amazing in everyway, So much better than I ever thought it was going to be!

Now to binge the other episodes!!! :D

airbud7, jbscotchman and fantaskarsef like this.
  13. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Just watching the 5th episode. Absolutely brilliant.

Geralt, Yennefer and the bard are brilliant. Didn't connect with Triss though, shame.

Still, amazing. Oh and the actress playing Yennefer... Wow

airbud7 and jbscotchman like this.
  14. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Okay we got a hit!

Only watched 3 episodes but I'm really liking it! In my previous post I was being sceptical about Yenn but with the way they build the character ends up working. Henry Cavill steals the scene though, the guy is Geralt, end of! Gotta agree with some of the Triss Merigold criticism though, the character feels a bit of an afterthought but its not a massive dealbreaker.

Can't wait to watch more!

15. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    2nd episode done and I have one thing to say

Toss A Coin To Your Witcher O’ Valley of Plenty O’ Valley of Plenty oh oh oh Toss A Coin To Your Witcher O’ Valley of PlentyyyyyyheeeeeEEEEEE

Respect Doesn't Make History

:D

one thing that needs to be said is how well Henry's often criticised ultra subdued actin delivery very much works in his favour as Geralt much like how Vin diesel shines through more when he plays Riddick. every line he delivers is one that lingers in the air for a moment the same can be said here.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    airbud7 and Repo Man like this.

16. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Oh crap I didn't know it was out already!

17. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970

Stone Gargoyle likes this.
  18. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
  19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I just cant get myself into watching this. I feel like i'll be disappointed and it'll just bring my overall impression down of the masterpiece which is the games.

That Yennefer actress looks like she wondered into the wrong set, lol.

20. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Totally understandable and that was to a degree my stance at first but when I saw the origin story unfold in the first 3 episodes I was pretty sold and I gotta admit to eating my earlier words here but the actress and her performance ended up selling it to me in the end.