The Witcher - Enhanced Edition!!!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ElDiablo2K3, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Funkgab

Funkgab Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 @ 850/1150
    yes the official witcher game is great, but im speaking of some of the crappier mods alot of us have probably played before..

2. Grahf

Grahf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning

The UK and US version both use the same exact butchered script. :bang:

It's the "ENGLISH" translation;
    Let me repeat that- Both the UK and US versions use the same butchered English text.

As an example, the Polish voice file is over 200mb larger than the English voice file (and remember, the UK and US versions use the same English voice file). This is NOT because Polish language words take longer to say.

You don't have to take my word for any of this.
    http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/49819

The reason I mentioned the "US release" is because, unlike the UK release, the US version is also heavily censored in additional ways;
    - sex scenes have been cut out
    - no nudity of any kind in sex cards
    - no nudity in npc models (dryad)
    - Attack moves have been altered (including finishing moves) to appear "less violent" (whatever that means)

This makes the US version even worse than the UK version, but both versions are worse than the original Polish version because both use an English script which has basically had the original dialogue neutered.

Thankfully, the unedited English script shipped with the game (both US and UK versions), but was merely hidden and disabled. There are several mods which allow you to play with the unedited script, but the problem is that because the devs decided not to use the original, full script, it's very buggy and slightly incomplete.

Luckily, there's a mod out which gives you a choice between the original, unedited script or an "optimized" script which fixes some of the minor errors and weirdness in the original script.
    http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=6925.0
    Unfortunately, even the optimized script is just a band-aid as it's still incomplete and slightly buggy (although infinitely better than the script the game shipped with). The "Enhanced Version" will finally be the fix people have been waiting for.

Try playing The Witcher again with the original or optimized scripts and see the difference for yourself.

I actually found the Polish voice file from the original Polish version and played with the optimized script, so I had full Polish dialogue with unedited English subtitles. The game is *vastly* different from the UK/US versions.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  3. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    Thanks for the info Grahf.

My only worry is that this update will censore the UK version once updated.

The would be a backward step and not worth waiting for...

4. landofcleve

landofcleve Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X 5870 1G
    Heres hoping

:david: That they don't do this to the work of art(although incomplete) that this great game is.

5. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Meh.. nice for those who are yet to play the game. I'm already over half way through and I just can't be bothered to play all the way through it again.

Although I like the game, running around the same cities over and over again to get a couple more artifacts or finish side quests gets pretty boring in this game..

6. Grahf

Grahf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    I hear ya.
    I know some Americans ordered the UK version just for the fact that it wasn't as censored as the US version.

Who knows?
    Maybe Projekt Red will actually uncensor the US version fully?

7. DrSiN

DrSiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    Oh! Baby!

8. N.O.U.G.N.

N.O.U.G.N. Master Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX 1080 8Gb
    If they go through all this updating an still have the US version censored then massive failure!

If not, then this might be my first RPG

9. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    and

If they put back in all the sex and violence then i'm afriad they would have to get the game re-classified surely?

Remember all the fuss Mass Effect caused with one alien lesbian scene?

My main 'goal' in The Witcher was to **** as many women as possible! :banana:

I can't see the US release getting all the good stuff with the update but I could be wrong...

...I hope I am wrong for the sake of all the American Gurus!

10. GAR818

GAR818 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    I played this game, graphics were outdated, engine was not smooth, voice acting was one of the worst ive seen, not a good game IMO

11. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    Isn't that why they are making this update? To correct these issues??? :3eyes:

12. DrSiN

DrSiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    I didn't really notice the bad dialogue , yet ive seen it mentioned so many times.

Its a shame so many people will miss out on the best Western RPGs in years due to some minor flaws.

13. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    The Witcher's translation was ok compared to that drivel called The Ring Terror Realms :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzllPzWYd1Y

14. Grahf

Grahf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    One of Armake's funniest reviews.... Dear Lord, that game is bad. :puke2:

15. Drizzt

Drizzt Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7800GT @ Stock OC
    You obviously didn't pirate it properly. All the good pirated versions include the original voices and English enhanced dubs. Which makes the game much better. I agree that the engine was not as smooth as it could be, but that's actually rather minor.

16. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    I havent picked up the Witcher yet but I've wanted to. So I think when this one hits the shelves I'll finally be doing so!

17. Hootmon

Hootmon Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Witcher is one of the better games Ive played lately.

I cant see playing it all over again though, even if it is 'enhanced'. Will probably read the books its based on instead.