The Witcher 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Jun 6, 2016.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Undying likes this.
  2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I disagree on that - i think the combat is just right. Engaging without being overly complicated or difficult. Not comparable to skyrim in any possible way :D

BlindBison likes this.
  3. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    ''FoliageDistanceScale'' max value is '5'.

4. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3 GU
    Best way to enjoy the combat system: just pretend Quen doesn't exist, don't sideroll too much and start dodging more, even against monsters. After that use your ability points in a coherent way based upon the combat style you chose. After level 10 or such it starts being more satisfying.

BlindBison likes this.

5. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    or playing on the highest difficulty if you prefer a more rewarding and "realistic" feel to it. i don't think many tried to play it on it's highest difficulty, it was not easy even with Quen shielding.
    as you progress and find the most epic gear around for your build it becomes more easy but not too easy.

i find TW3 to be well balanced in it's difficulty level. did at least two complete runs with the DLC's and it was not easy until late game. ( on blood and broken bones + on death march ).

6. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    To each their own and all that :) And for sure, there's quite a gulf between Skyrim and Witcher 2/3's systems favoring the Witcher titles imo. I only mean that it's not uncommon for RPGs to have sort of lackluster combat mechanics -- probably because they're broadly doing so much whereas a game like the first Bayonetta only has one core thing they can laser focus on getting right.

For me it's difficult to go from something like Sekiro or Elden Ring to other third person action RPG systems (though of course even the From game systems are not perfect and have some artificial difficulty nowadays imo -- Sekiro blew my mind once I came to grips with it however). Obviously those are very different games of course -- more narrow in focus in the sense that you don't have all these character dialog trees and such.

For TES: Skyrim's combat system you basically just button mash without much decision making beyond what weapon or spell you'd like to use in that game. They don't even have much in the way of enemy hit reactions in that game (or rather they seem to be dolled out at random) so it just ends up feeling pretty limp to me (though other aspects of that game carry it upwards). It's a very accessible system, but I personally want some challenge that isn't all artificial in the way difficulty settings in that game merely scale health and damage. But mountains of people seem to love that game and its systems so, you know, more power to em', just my opinion :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
  7. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks, will give this a shot :)

8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
  9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Sekiro and the rest of them are tryhard games, which the vast majority of people are not into. And no, they are not comparable to witcher in any way, as they are just tryhard games focused on being tryhard, and not an RPG. If those kinda games are what gets you off, then play that kinda games...

I for one am REALLY glad that Witcher is not one of the many games that purely panders to the small, but very loud tryhard crowd... game deffo wouldn't have sold as much if that had been the case either.

Solfaur likes this.
  10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    You need to consider the heritage of each game. Real-time CRPGs used to not provide any control over attacks. You just click an enemy and your character will keep attacking. Diablo distilled that element of real-time CRPGs into its own game. Skyrim and W3 give you some control over your actions during battle, but they're still clearly influenced by classic CRPG mechanics.

Sekiro is not. I don't know much about Japanese gaming heritage, but from what I played so far in Sekiro, it seems more like it's influenced by "beat 'em ups" and Samurai Shodown style fighting games, including "invincibility frames" which is a staple of those genres.

BlindBison likes this.

11. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I don’t play Fromsoftware games because I am a tryhard or because I think it makes you elite or something like that. I play them because I find them really fun and engaging personally. I actually hated From games at first — but eventually I learned the systems better and have loved them ever since. I would compare it to my first “twin stick first person shooter” actually — e.g. The first two weeks I hated it and spent all my time staring at the ground or the sky. But then I got better and have had years of enjoyment ever since. From games were like that for me.

Other than maybe Sekiro I’d argue From’s combat systems have issues as well, but I have found it hard to enjoy the combat in other third person action rpgs by comparison (e.g. final fantasy remake / assassin’s creed odyssey / the witcher / etc). As I said before, I acknowledge W3 is a very different game than recent From titles -- e.g. in Demon’s Souls they weren’t trying to build out an open world with such a large amount of character interactions or dialogue trees. I found W2 and W3 to be very good games to be clear.

I do think the combat systems in a vacuum bare enough similarly to be worth some comparison though. They both have guards, dodge rolls, parries. Both have light and heavy attacks. Both allow you to cast spells. Both have a similar camera position. But in terms of the overall gamefeel they are quite different to play and handle their challenge and enemies differently — of course one is more of a broad narrative driven experience and the other is laser focused on the combat so maybe that's all expected. I do agree I was being too hard on the Witcher combat before. After thinking more on it, I agree it's more fun than most third person action RPG games. For example I’d take W2 or W3s combat any day over something like Assassin’s Creed Odyssey which itself has yet another of these “3rd person action RPG” type systems. To clarify, I am not attempting to tell people what they're allowed to find fun :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
    drandiiski likes this.
  12. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    That tuber has some videos I’ve really enjoyed covering various RPG mysteries too

OnnA likes this.
  13. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    i think the grandmaster bear\ursine armor looks procreating awesome, probably the best looking armor in the game. i enchanted it in HoS and made it as a light armor in my last full play,maybe 1.5-2 years ago.

Dragam1337 and BlindBison like this.
  14. wanderjahr

wanderjahr Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Inbound patch...

"We've been quietly working on this update for W3NG and it looks like we're at the final stages. Shouldn't be long until it comes out. We'll share more info the moment we can! In the meantime, we really appreciate your patience!"

15. skacikpl

skacikpl Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    We'll see how it goes, i doubt a month was enough to bring the performance up by at least a third.

BlindBison likes this.

16. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I hope that they fixed the heavy stutters with FG On when using AMD CPUs and the graphical glitches with RT shadows/lighting.

BlindBison likes this.
  17. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Another tasty appetizer

BlindBison likes this.
  18. TimmyP

TimmyP Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Theyve been quietly working on it so that nobody knows for sure, and weak people who are really into it will run out and buy a 4000 card.

Yes, I think CDPR and Nvidia were in bed together for this curiously timed update.

This update was blatantly insulting to gamers as a whole.

*At least we get the real thing now.

19. skacikpl

skacikpl Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    The update has been in the works for over 2 years now, and it's free.
    Yes, it's not ideal but you can just disregard it entirely and either still play dx11 version with all of the additions or just roll back.

20. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    Looks great, but I think the game's streaming will be even more over-challenged by it than it already is with the current textures.

BlindBison likes this.