The Witcher 3 Official Thread (Pt.4)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Ouzo

Ouzo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    I really like there are mods for games... but boy is it annoying that modders dont update theirs mods to be compatible with game updates *sigh*

2. Brogan

Brogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    980 G1
    Takes a few days. And the farther you get away from release, that increases. But the modding community for Witcher has alot of good mod authors. Some who know the code better than cdpr.

Also, granted it wasn't an entirely new map, but Hearts of Stone opened up previously un-explorable regions and structures on the Upper Velen/Novigrad map stretching all the way across the top past Temple Isle.

3. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Yes, because they're paid so much for their time.

(we've been over this Ouzo)

4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    I was just about to say that I'm experiencing a deja-vu lol.

Even though I tried some of them at one point, for Witcher 3 at least, I do prefer the "vanilla" game. I couldn't see myself playing a Bethesda RPG without mods though, but CDPR did a great job on their own.

5. Ouzo

Ouzo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    I know. It just struck me again when tried to play again with mods not compatible anymore with my latest save :bang:

6. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Actually, no I wouldn't or I would be.

I don't use mods either.

7. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    All the mods I use are for graphics and do not change anything as far as the art style is concerned. I love the world they have created and do not want to mess with it besides adding moar graphiks. I dont touch the lighting, colors, contrast etc.

The only mod that I use to change anything is unlimited durability. I would rather have durability because it feels a little more real, but damn, things break so fast its more annoying than anything.

Anyone encounter the forest spirit? It blew my mind it was so cool. I ran into it on accident (like many things in this game).
    I was just walking around some crazy forest and it was raining super hard with lightning and the wind howling like crazy. I ran into someone (forgot exactly how it started) and had to track down the forest spirit. I found it, had a really neat fight and when I finally slayed it, the wind instantly stopped, no more rain and thunder and the sun broke through and it was just eerie and silent. It was really effin cool.

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I can't get the steam overlay to work properly. I press shift tab and it displays but controls like web browser don't respond to clicks. I can see some gog.com thing has opened underneath it as well. Big picture mode overlay works fine when I use it in that mode but the standard one seems to have a conflict. I get both gog galaxy and steam achievements even though I don't run both together (and don't really have a reason to). How do I get steam's overlay browser to work?

BTW how do I get good weapons and armor? I'm level 9 now but I still have stuff of a much lower level and hardly enough money to just buy something.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  9. wrathloki

wrathloki Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 Ti G1
    Dunno about the overlay but for armor just keep searching and looting.

10. Brogan

Brogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    980 G1
    Which version of the game are you playing, gog or steam? Or are you playing your gog bought game as a steam game...? Either way, I'm sure there is a way to fix it. You should be able to disable one or the other if there's a conflict. Check the respective forums on how.

And yes, one thing you don't need to worry about in this game is better gear. There is tons of it - you just need to keep exploring. Specifically Witcher Gear Sets, which have their own quests to obtain them (make sure you buy unique looking pages from blacksmiths).

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I'm playing the steam version but I also have GOG connect on my gog account so that's probably how the GOG stuff is getting triggered by the game even though galaxy isn't running. Not really able to find information about how to work around it but I guess I'll just use my phone or ipad to look up info.

12. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I'd suggest just using RTSS/Afterburner if you're looking for temps and such.. I find its a bit more dependable, unless you had other reasons for using the steam overlay.

Also, at level 9, you're just starting out.. the first 15 levels are tougher since you're trying to get your stats and abilities up. I also find that weapons are somewhat underpowered during this early period. Once you get past level 15-16 and get better armour and weapons and skills, you will find it a bit easier and also find more "to level" items.

Make sure you search around and get the various ? as many of them offer you schematics for weapons, and better weapons and gear.

13. Brogan

Brogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    980 G1
    Yea, don't skip anything, and if you enjoy finding hidden stuff in unmarked locations... explore everywhere, not just near the roads. They packed this game to the brim with loot.

Also, why not just turn the gog Connect feature off. Unless you need it for something while playing.

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GOG connect adds games from my steam account to my GOG account :p I got 4 more the other night!

I'll try to go for more question marked sites. I'm still in the swampy area and a couple of times got chased away by level 16 creatures after the wandering in the dark quest. Valen or something like that. I've a hard time 'membering names in this game lol.

15. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Velen :)

Don't fret about getting chased away, that will happen all through the game.. a few nights ago at level 13 I went to a "gaurded treasure" and a level 30 Griffen swooped in and one shot me. Just how it goes

16. wrathloki

wrathloki Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 Ti G1
    That's part of the mystique of the game, I think. You're in this dark and very dangerous world.

17. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    Finally got blood and wine and ver 1.22

18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    *whew* 82 hours in and I'm finally in the third act :p After that I'll do some contracts and undiscovered areas to wind down for a day or so and then start an expansion. The last RPG with dungeons and dragons that I enjoyed was DAO and that was a long time ago!

Any quests that fail once you start the point of no return stuff? I've already failed the collect all gwent cards but I don't care for the minigame.

19. Brogan

Brogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    980 G1
    Yea, there are a couple - but there are 2 main "Points of No Return" - one when you are ready to travel to
    the Isle of Mists
    , the 2nd is clearly marked in the quest name, but doesn't auto fail any un-started quests (that I'm aware of) - it's just the last quest in the game. The only non-story quests that have a point of no return (Ugly Baby or Isle of Mists) are quests involving important characters. Yennefer, Triss, Kiera, Zoltan, Dandelion, Roche, Dijkstra, the Bloody Baron, Cerys, Hjalmar, Lambert, etc. Make sure they are completed before Isle of Mists.

I also suggest starting (and finishing) Hearts of Stone before finishing the main story (after the events following Isle of Mists, when you are still free to roam before the final quests). Then, after you complete everything else, Blood & Wine.

20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hmm ... thanks for the last bit, I'm still early in the final act so I will start Hearts of Stone instead.

By "when you are still free to roam before the final quests" do you mean the game doesn't let you free roam and wrap up unfinished side quests after the the final mission or is it simply like that Kaer Mohren quest where it automatically placed you in a chain of quests?