The Witcher 3 Official Thread (Pt.3)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^^ interesting thought actually.

I'll take a closer look at my ram usage when I play next time.. I still stand by my original comment though about pop in.. I'm convinced that it has to do with the game patch since it was such a big difference after patching, but I guess we'll see.

2. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    To clarify my earlier comment, I'm not saying your game will use as much as my game. Your game should never use 7GB of RAM, as Windows will never allow it.

My point was that the game can use that much if you have a high RAM ceiling. And since RAM holds everything, including textures, animations, sounds etcetera, then animation stutter when riding Roach could conceivably be caused by not having enough RAM..

Regarding texture pop in, I don't think it has changed because of the patches. People have tested this by reverting to earlier patches and nothing was different.

Egregious pop in is just a characteristic of the Red Engine 3, which can probably be improved if the devs make their streaming algorithm more efficient via patches. The Witcher 3 could definitely stand to use more VRAM to cache as many textures as possible like other engines do.

The fact that it uses so little VRAM in comparison to other 3D engines is likely the culprit if you ask me.

3. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ are we talking about the same thing?

Texture popping I've noticed right from the start, it's the NPC pop in that's been the most glaring for me post patch 1.05..

4. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    Yes,you talk about the same thing, Carfax is correct,it has to be (as I've said before) game's engine restrictions because indeed game use some little Vram (or at least they should make the ULTRA preset use more RAM and VRAM more efficiently*).
    Scooby you think that it's a patches' fault due to the fact that with previous patches you haven't be in areas that you would see popping NPCs. People you haven't update their game and have actually proceed further they do see popping. You say that you have seen it from start,I haven't.I was further in game(first time was in first big city I visited) and I think this has to do with memory manager game uses(more objects to load/draw = more chances for popping to happen). Weird that you saw it from start. I've never say it in small villages or anywhere adventuring in open world.

About RAM 8 vs 16, I use to have 8 and from the moment I have 16 I can surely say that it was like giving PC a "double breathing system", it had one lung and now seems like it has two. You get the point. ESPECIALLY for SLI systems is RECOMMENDED.

* there are some commands/values that if we only know how to increase them with balance and to their safest max values then maybe the popping will be reduced or even vanish. Like these:

rendering.ini:
    TextureMemoryBudget=500
    TextureMemoryGUIBudget=80
    TextureTimeBudget=10
    TextureInFlightBudget=128
    TextureStreamingDistanceLimit=40000.f
    TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimit=50.f
    TextureStreamingHeadsDistanceLimit=10.f

and ofc ALL inside the resources.ini file.

Changing SOME of then isn't safe(for example you can't increase one of them without increasing general budgets so engone has more room/memory to work with), it has to be some balance similar to presets game already has. I don't have the will to try testing combinations.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015

5. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I really haven't noticed pop ins and HWInfo shows the game using 1.7gb of VRAM.

Of course things like the occasional pop in or hitch don't really bother me. It's a video game, not reality or even a movie. Such things are to be expected in games imo.

6. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    I've noticed the pop ins even on characters clothes and jewellery.

7. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060 ti 2075/7800
    I once ran into a tent on the side of the road because it loaded 2 yards ahead of me.

8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Just hit level 22 on my second play through. About 55 hours played currently and I would say overall since the games release I'm pushing 400 hours. So far on my second play I have seen significant differences in the primary and secondary quests. As far as I'm concerned this may be the greatest game ever made.

9. A49ER08

A49ER08 Member Guru

GPU:
    evgaRtx3080XC3Ultra
    I'm only 70 hours of playtime in (First playthrough, have had game since release day)
    I still haven't found Ciri

just made it to Skellige, and man.. is that place beautiful not to mention the awesome soundtrack there.

taking my dear sweet time with this game.. and enjoying every minute.

playing on deathmarch, trying to get all the armor/sword quests done that are around my level.

10. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Same here. Want to savour every moment. I found the game very rewarding on the hard/est levels.

11. neeeksta

neeeksta Member Guru

GPU:
    Giggley bite 1080 t
    How about 110 hours and I haven't even gone to Skellige!!
    muwahaha .. tootling, mooching, walking slowly and loving every second!!
    Oh yea, has to be hard - even though I just killed a couple of monsters with higher level red skulls and it wasn't that mega hard.
    Strumpets quoting songs,
    "I am a material girl"

Love is evident in the creation of this epic game. :)

12. Brogan

Brogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    I had over 300 hours in before I went to Skellige. Exploring every nook and cranny of Novigrad was so much fun.

Hey can you guys tell me if your water effects look like this? Am I just seeing things?

13. Kezen

Kezen Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    The water still has this "jelly" look but I don't think the hardware to render truly realistic water is there yet, so I'll let that slide.

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    Crysis, a game from 2007 has very realistic water, much better than tw3, so no i wouldn't "let it slide"

15. Kezen

Kezen Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Crysis' water is anything but realistic. It looked excellent by 2007 standard but it's extremely basic and does not "look" real.

16. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    Best water in any game up to date is the one in AC Black Flag,not arguing about it.

17. Brogan

Brogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    This is the thread at CDPR discussing the issue I'm referring to.

18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    The waters texture/shaders looked quite good, the actual movement wasnt realistic by any means but its still miles better than 99% of games still out there

19. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Loved GTA V water.

20. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Agreed, ploughing into those rogue waves head on is very exciting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.