The Witcher 3 Official Thread (Pt.3)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brogan

Brogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Awesome CK, I will give this a try.

Edit: It works great! Man, this is the kind of effect that it's true value does not come across with screenshots because the banding "transitions" as you move, so it's not like focusing on a texture.

And yea CK, I was able to find a texture on the side of a cliff that, when I toggled the effect on and off, would go from a detailed face of rock where you could see each edge and crack, to a darker, brown solid, singular shadow. Not something that looks out of place, or even low-def, just a darker shadowed section.

I tested it from 24 up to 32 (and .017 - .030) and from just a few minutes worth of testing, to me I didn't see much variation in the negative effect (shadowy mess), so I am going to go with a relatively high (based on your post) setting of 26 and 0.020, respectively.

And also, TIL fraps don't work with ReShade. lol

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  2. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    You don't need fraps if using reshade. Just enable statistics in the common file.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    Why is the anti-aliasing so poor in this game?

I was playing it (v1.06) for the first time in a week yesterday afternoon and while some areas seemed to have smoothed edges (more akin to 2xMSAA than anything higher quality) there were lots of edges that were left untouched such as tree trunks and so on. AA actually look worst in The Witcher 3 in my opinion than the last game! :3eyes:

A shame really because the game looks gorgeous otherwise.

4. Xenotone

Xenotone Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
    Yeah I think the engine only allows for post process AA. It is rather ugly but I'm sitting far enough from my TV that it doesn't matter too much.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I haven't noticed it that much but I'm on 1440p so maybe that's why.

6. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    Glad you like it Brogan,yes it does worth after all for sure. :)
    TBH in actual gameplay you "forget" about this negative detail loss at all,however when character is at medium distance at least from some dark objects(like doors or cliffs without having the sun hitting on them) I see it and I don't prefer to have it,best stuff is that we can tweak it to our likes :thumbup:

About AA, temporal anti-aliasing...at least better than none.. though for up to 1080p I find DSR's Gaussian filter does a decent "smooth" blur and helps (20%).

7. Marcel

Marcel Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    Try SMAA from SweetFX or Reshade. Works much better than in game AA. Is not perfect but better than nothing.

[​IMG]

more here

http://www.deadendthrills.com/forum/discussion/408/guide-the-witcher-3/p7

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  8. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    After some more testing with Reshade's DEBAND I have to say that most of the time now I have it OFF,especially in interiors the loss of detail is strong (ofc you only need it for outside mostly on specific time of day/night but I forgot/bored to ON/OFF all the time..lol). Only when my view hit sky with really bad banding only then I enable it(and only for taking a screenie if I want). At least it's not bad to have the choice...nothing more.

9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Ref"
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  10. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    W3 is going to take me some time to finish. I'm 55 hours in and still in Velen.
    I've also already bought the DLC season pass. Game is just epic.

11. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I'm at ~80 hours played and just level 17... the game is huge and beautiful and at times I enjoy just walking trough the woods and picking herbs. Even with the graphical downgrade, it's still massive eye candy and very immersive world. :banana:

12. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Im itching to buy it, but waiting for GOTY edition so i have all DLC available straight away!

13. Danwillysxi

Danwillysxi Master Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti
    Jonas, might want to put them photos in a spoiler...

14. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti X Sli
    I do the same, only problem is now I am too strong for some of the side quests, love walking around finding odd things, lots to see. We need more storage though, tend to get overburden far too quickly.

15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    It's unavoidable, given how spread out the quests are, I always end up with main quests being gray or several levels under me. On the plus side it's fun to blaze trough them and focus on story and dialogue. :)

16. Brogan

Brogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Odd, you must have it set pretty strong. I leave it on and have pretty much forgotten it, I have gamma set real low and do not see any differences in interiors. Again, I'm at 26 and 0.020.

Level 25 quest. Nice.

I was wondering if anyone who's gotten through the game (or most of it) could give me some Skellige advice.
    I'm level 21 with about 500xp to go till 22, and I have both Crach's children's quests to do. Both are 17, and I don't wanna miss out on too much XP. So of the 2, Lord of Undvik, and Possession, which is the shorter, or the least xp awarded? Which should I do first? (I also have the Cave of Dreams quest from Lugos after doing the Lighthouse quest).

Thanks

17. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Why do you focus so much on XP? It doesnt matter. Cos if you now get more XP you will get less for the following quests. The XP System is very dynamic. Sounds like you dont want to level up (so fast). But like i said it doesnt matter, only for the time beeing.
    And i dont see any reason not to want to level up without looking how much XP you get and eventually dont level up in this quest.

18. Brogan

Brogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    I agree ShadowDuke. I'm honestly still trying to get a handle on exactly how I want to play this.

It's a tricky decision. One the one hand, you don't want XP as much because you don't wanna be over-leveled and make the game too easy by the endgame. But on the other hand, many of the equipment has level req's, so you want XP so you can use those things.

What I am finding is, however I look at it, I still ultimately enjoy the content more than anything else, so regardless of how hard the fights are, or how good my equipment is, I'm still enjoying the hell out of it.

19. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Been having bad crashes lately so I lowered my GPU OC a bit and reverted back to older drivers and I crash less often now.. but I still have fairly frequent and random crashes to desktop with just Witcher 3.

20. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    No crashes this side. Your system / drivers must be unstable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.