The Witcher 3 Official Thread (Pt.3)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DiiVerZe

DiiVerZe Member Guru

GPU:
    4GB GTX 970
    Doesn't matter if you play with kb or controller the movement
    is kinda weird.I still recommend to play with kb because in combat
    you can quickly switch between signs using 3,4,5,6,7. It makes a big
    difference than having to open up the wheel for everytime you want to switch signs

2. A49ER08

A49ER08 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC2
    so.. when you get to Skellige, is there a bunch of low level quests there to do?
    I'm currently level 15 and still plenty to do in Velen and in/around Novigrad.

3. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi HD7950 Twin Frozr/3GB
    I have to agree with the notion that the game is having a bit of an internal crisis.
    Seriously, how are you supposed to play this thing?
    Am I supposed to do side quests or main story? Which ever I do makes the other suffer.

Trying to do both still lets things fall through the cracks. Sure, I guess I can play all side AND main story quests but now the items I'm getting are terribly under-leveled and XP is non-existent in many cases.

The only conclusion I can come to is that we're not intended to shoot for 100% completion. Play main story and supplement with, very few, side quests just in some attempt to keep the gameplay balanced as I progress through the game.

Well whatever the case, I'm playing it the way I want to (doing everything I can) even if I have to do the tedious work of flicking through my quests list every 5min to make sure I haven't outleveled some other quest.

Oh and I'm still having a great time of course - it's just confusing to me how the devs intended for us to play. :)

4. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080TI 11gb
    I think the game gives you the tools and lets your carve the story. The shape of the sculpture i'm sure will be something strange and mangled, but still the tools are there.

If you play through the main story only, you're left with low level quests. If you do the side and contracts you'll be high level (when i say high i mean 30-33ish) when you want to continue/finish main story.

I can't explain it really.

5. Brogan

Brogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    980 G1
    Well, I'm absolutely going to continue finishing up all sidequests in Velen before I go to the next area.

I'm happy to do this because I know how much CDPR puts into the telling of this story, and have hope that they wouldn't self sabotage the experience because I play the game they way I've always played RPG's - in a 'completionist' way.

Vipu said there are lower level quests in Skellige - I'm OK with that. I'm sure there are also high level quests too, right? So I have no issue there.

I'm enjoying it, and until somebody discovers a reason not to, I'll carry on.

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Totally agree. This game has completely nuked all competition. Sorry to Fallout fans but that series is dog sh^t! Fallout 3 was total trash, one of the worst open world games I have ever played. The voice acting was just bland, the animations robotic, the side quests poor, and don't get me started on the god awful combat. Pause game... zoom into enemy... target body part that has highest number... wash rinse repeat. Combat outside the targeting system felt clunky and was a mess. Also that opening segment in the Vault in F3 was just some of the most boring drivel I have ever played in a game ever.

Fallout New Vegas was better, but that game was littered with huge bugs, and glitches from launch. It had a more interesting world but it still had all the boring elements from 3.

Sorry to fans of the series, but Oblivion and Skyrim were waaay better. Now Witcher 3 has set the bar so high I don't think Fallout 4 can even begin to compete. If they keep the same crappy combat system I will steer well clear of that game.

The trailer was one of the worst trailers I have seen in recent times for such a big game. Lets tug at the heart string with a dog sniffing a baby's crib, then show some over saturated vistas and a few explosions. Well done Bethesda, hey 2009 called and want's its graphics back.

7. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    What people can't seem to fathom here is that Witcher 3 hasn't simply just primarily raised the bar with graphics or open world gaming, it's actually everything else but the graphics were it truly excels. A sense that you are actually filling the boots of an extremely engaging yet mysterious main protagonist and each and every action or decision made has a knock on effect within the game world.

It's like when you watch a movie and are intended to root for the hero only to find that they are so poorly written and ill conceived you just can't bring yourself to even give a ****. I care about every action I make as Geralt and linger on every single word he utters both in conversation or otherwise because I do give a ****. Damn do I.

Then there's the way I handle myself in this world whether I help out some scruffy homeless beggar who is asking politely for my help or do I snub him and walk on by then for examples sake that beggar later turns out to be a future king and hasn't forgotten the kindness I showed him that day. A singular moment in passing that could change my future that I perhaps barely even took notice of. Nothing and nobody in this game should be overlooked simply because that's what you did in every other RPG you played to date because the game practically commands you to think differently, act differently, be curious, be thoughtful and giving or even be massively suspicious or damning if your gut tells you to be. This is exactly what the game wants from you.

There's way too much emphasis on the games looks when if only people would delve a little deeper they would in fact find that to enter that world and to take on the role of Geralt or Rivia in Witcher 3 is to be something you've never truly experienced when playing a game before, at least not on this scale and never as intimately as this.

Fallout? Dragon Age? You might as well step up to those and any other RPG, wave your hand and snuff out that candle because Witcher 3 has decimated each and every one of them and I'm sure any dev out there who has played it knows this to be true also. All it can do now is inspire them to try and reach the same dizzying heights, good luck to them too.

To think there's even more of the same coming in expansion packs blows my tiny little mind.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  8. DireBadger

DireBadger Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1070 AMP Extreme
    What's really impressive is that they did it with a much lower budget than the competition. Imagine the budget EA had for Dragon Age or Bethesda for Fallout or Skyrim. And CDProject smashed them with The Witcher 3. Just like they smashed DA 2 with the Witcher 2 which only had a budget of something like $11 million.

9. Arabaldo

Arabaldo Active Member

GPU:
    1070Ti
    Could not agree more...the game IS beautiful but more important, the best game I have played in a very LONG time.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    What doesn't impress me is the fact that I'm on a desperate search of Ciri, getting really close with every hour spent in the game. She's in great danger, I have to find her asap or else she could die.

Only... The game is littered with meaningless side quests that distract you from what the game is all about. Immersion = 100% broken. You guys finishing up everything in Velen, don't you think you should be moving on and closing down on Ciri? It just doesn't feel right.

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    But during the search for her you also learn that:
    Ciri is fine, and safe, hidden away on the island of mist out of reach of the Wild Hunt.
    (And after doing that particular quest you actually do get locked in on doing the main story missions for a while with one hectic event after another compared to being able to take your time just wandering around.)
    (And several side quest chains do affect the main quest and eventual outcome of the game, or rather the epilogues to the three available endings.)

EDIT:

Well there's that too I guess, the way the story is written makes it feel like it's extremely urgent that you do these main missions but on the other hand the developers don't want to pressure you and encourage exploration with no repercussions if you do take your time.
    (Though if you do rush through the main missions several side quests will become unavailable unless these are finished first.)

12. DireBadger

DireBadger Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1070 AMP Extreme
    That seems to be an issue with all open world games. Maybe devs should tone down the urgent nature of the main quest these games tend to have.

13. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Seriously I couldn't agree more.

Sure in some places the graphics don't look that good. But hey its the sheer size of the world that is impressive, how many towns, villages, hidden caves, etc. How many NPC's there are, walking around, doing their jobs, talking, children playing. The sheer amount of side quests, books of lore, the voice acting, the facial expressions. The combat system being so deep and intuitive.

Everything not just the graphics has set the bar on a level I don't think anyone is going to beat for a long time.

Even so I have the game totally maxed out but have turned off hairworks and it drops fps by around 20fps in some places, mainly inside buildings when the camera gets close to Geralt and also those huge bears and other monsters with tons of hair on them are around. With it disabled and everything else maxed the game runs buttersmooth always above 80fps other wise it drops to 40fps in doors when close to Geralt or 55fps in large battles with huge monsters that have hairworks on them.

14. Trixster

Trixster Active Member

GPU:
    1070 G1 Gaming
    Not sure what has changed in 1.05 but I get horrible changes for the grass if I alter the camera angle..

Before:
    [​IMG]

After slight change:
    [​IMG]

And I have altered nothing from 1.04, weird..

15. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC
    Perfectly put. Haven't felt this captivated by a game since Knights of the Old Republic. I'm not comparing the two, make no mistake about that. Witcher 3 blows it all out of the water but it goes to show the difference between the status quo and original ideas / arcs albeit based on the books of course. I keep thinking what HBO did with George R. R. Martin's books CD Projekt Red is doing for Andrzej Sapkowski's. People really poured their hearts and souls into this game. Witcher 3 has made a lot of other games in its genre look like overpriced ****. It definitely raised the bar and reminded me why I fell in love with video games in the first place. It was because of devs who were trying to create beautiful works of art, the next medium. And then it got off-track and we kept getting these "release date-centric" regurgitated cookie cutter pieces of ****. I felt like the sheer colossal scale that they undertook and pulled off in this game alone is ****ing incredible. ****, best $60 I've spent in a long time on a game.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015

16. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    So you're hungry, you decided to go get something to eat but on the way there, someone stops you and says hey want to go for a bike ride.... oh no I am suddenly compelled beyond all reason to go for a bike ride and stay hungry.

How can anyone complain about lack of focus in an open world game where YOU choose what you want to do, if YOU want to stay on the main quest then stay on the main quest no one is forcing YOU to go and do those side quests. If they are getting in the way then it because YOU have chosen to let them get in the way.

On another topic I am another person who has noticed a marked increase in game stability issues since 1.05. They started during cut scenes where the screen goes blank, drops you back to desktop but the game is still running and you can still hear characters talking but the game simply can't be tabbed back in to, had this occur three times so far, found yet another infinite load issue (but it's on what appears to be a minor random encounter) and just now suffered from a total black screen with no recovery option at all (ctrl-alt delete totally failed) beyond a hard reboot. This is on Nvidia 353.06 drivers, mind you looking in the event log can't find any indicator that it's the display driver failing that's causing the problems.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  17. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Just finished it, fantastic game, first witcher i've competed as well (133 hours, minus whatever alt tabbing and falling sleep). Look forward to the dlc.

Dunno if I can be bothered exploring the ? on skeillge, about 90 are underwater. But got to imagine i've missed some small quests here and there

18. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    So not sure if this is happening to anyone else, but after 1.05 I can't get the game to play in Fullscreen at all. I've messed around with a bunch of stuff, but only borderless works.. any ideas?

19. Brogan

Brogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    980 G1
    Ironically I have trained myself to check to make sure Fullscreen is selected every time I start playing because it will randomly shift to Borderless whenever it crashes and also sometimes upon just exiting the game.

Not sure if it is because I'm quitting directly to desktop, haven't been able to test because it's not that often.

I run @1080p, on a 60Hz monitor with 353.06 v. driver, with VSync on in-game, and set to 3D app in control panel.

20. Anth Seebel

Anth Seebel Master Guru

GPU:
    TITAN Xp
    haven't had that problem, what OS uz using ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.