The Witcher 3 driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by oGow89, May 11, 2015.

1. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I agree less powerfull GPUs (older) are expected to perform worst (less fps) but optimization, stability and stutter free should be provided.

At least 285 owners should be happy to have the ONLY FULL supported GPU at 4K VSR! :D

2. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I wouldn't class the 280x as "slow hardware", something like the 750Ti maybe.
    I'd expect a smooth gaming experience with either of the GPU's you mentioned. Optimizations doesn't mean 50% FPS increase.

3. onemoar

onemoar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060SC @2250/4550
    a 280x is a 7970 and thats 3 years old :3eyes:

4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Age makes something slow? Maybe in the world of animals :)

The 280x is more than capable.

[​IMG]

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Wanna bet that they will change the driver so that it lowers tesselation levels on older hardware? Basically performing the same "optimization" we can do with two clicks. They f*cked up their own older hardware on purpose with HairWorks.

No form of proper multi-gpu can exist unless the game itself supports it correctly and is made with that in mind.

So, the story with the Witcher 3 is similar to Project CARS? Huge performance increases under Windows 10?

NOBODY is bitching about that, except that single 290x guy.

None of these cards are in the same category. Not a single one. The 280x is double the hardware of the 270x, and the 285 has better tesselation, but less raw power in ROPs and shading units, and also less memory than the 280x.
    If a game runs in a PS4 at settings X, it should run either at settings 2X with a 280x, or at the same settings but double the framerate. If it does not, somebody has f*cked up.
    All the crossplatform games run like that on my PC.

6. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    that comparison only works if its a close-to-metal API on the PC (Mantle, DX12, Vulkan), otherwise its diminishing returns..

compare how PS4 versus Mantle on DAI, thats more appropriate.

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    If you have a good enough CPU, DX11 is fine for facilitating GPU usage actually.

8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    280x still is winning what it is supposed to win in witcher 3 benchies the 770. 285 is really close to 960 being the newer tech card.

9. TestDrivers

TestDrivers Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti Gaming 6G

It's at least better than for AMD than the 600 and 700 series from Nvidia.
    Even the 290 beats the 780Ti..

And all of us who have Crossfire, we all know, or should know, that Crossfire and SLI always has more trouble than single cards. This is something I knew when I bought it, but i accepted the risk for some games not working because the gain in many games is big.

10. oGow89

oGow89 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix 1070 GS
    That benchmark is no good anymore. After the last game patch nvidia maxwell gpus have received performance boost of 5+ fps. So yea i ain't pleased with my gpu performance anymore.

11. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I was showing the image to show the 280x (7970) is more than capable.

12. TestDrivers

TestDrivers Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti Gaming 6G
    If that's true, then you still have better performance than 780 and on par with the 780ti. That's not bad for a 290. In almost all other games a 780ti beats 290 handily, and the 290 is on par with the 780.
    so I can't see why you shouldn't be pleased?
    Except for crossfire this game works as it should on AMD cards

13. oGow89

oGow89 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix 1070 GS
    ogow89 sad :( ogow89 wants more fps. ogow89 loves more fps :( ogow89 thinks r9 290 is the flash.

14. TestDrivers

TestDrivers Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti Gaming 6G
    Well, we all love more FPS :),
    and I really hope there soon will be proper CF support, but I'm still enjoying the game :)

15. fr33jack

fr33jack Maha Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Sigh...just installed, configured and tested win 8.1 in GTA5 and W3 with 1023 drivers...compared to 1023 with win 7. I feel like an idi@t :( All problems with those games regarding stuttering, freezes are gone. Lower, Average FPS are increased (maximum are the same)...lower, in some cases up to 30%. Overall performance feels...like I've got a "magic" third cpu core on my dual core G3258. Dunno...maybe with fast, multi-core cpu I wouldn't noticed the difference...but, damm :( ...one question just stuck in my head tho...why or why I was sitting on win 7 for so long till today?!

16. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    "some" is the key word about CFX.

The meaning of "SOME" in relation to support for CFX and SLI cases is very different.

Nvidia "SOME" SLI profiles means profile on launch day almost always.

AMD "SOME" CFX profiles means NO profile on launch day almost always.

Some weeks are needed to have a proper CFX profile and sometimes months, years or never.

This situation is not improving and is getting even worst in last year.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  17. iafro89

iafro89 Member Guru

GPU:
    HD 6950/70
  18. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    And I wanted to go to sleep. Damn, looks like I'm going to have to give it a test run.

Edit: It's much, MUCH better for me than single-GPU or any of the other broken profiles. I can generally hold a smooth VSync'd 60FPS at 2560x1440 with HairWorks and in-game AA off (using SweetFX SMAA though). In-game AA completely breaks CF, there's no scaling at all and while average FPS seems to be at single-GPU levels while frame time varies wildly and it feels very stuttery and hitches a lot.

With AA off, it's almost perfectly smooth with VSync on. VSync off can get in the 70+ FPS range, so scaling is good, but there are frame pacing issues so I wouldn't recommend using it. Locking it to 60FPS from RTSS also is subjectively less smooth than in-game VSync with no FPS lock. There are still some minor hitches and drops in the 50FPS range, but overall it's smooth and a huge improvement.

There's still some flickering I noticed in Novigrad, generally on things like puddles. Not a huge deal but noticeable.

Tried 3200x1800 VSR too, got 45-50FPS. Not bad, definitely playable. Also tried HairWorks with 16x tessellation limit, 45-50FPS once again with 4x hair AA in the config file. Playable as well, but in the end I prefer the smoother experience.

Overall CF support is not perfect, but it's pretty decent. If this driver were released a week ago I'd have been perfectly happy, but even so I'm glad TW3 didn't end up being one of those games where it takes months.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  19. eshk

eshk Member

GPU:
    Powercolor 280x 3gb
    The new driver is pretty good. Single 280x doesn't dip below 30 with hairworks on high. Without hairworks 40-50. Locked it to 40 using RTSS, pretty smooth. Too bad I have nearly finished the game. Doesn't warrant a replay this early.

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, I held back for long time, then I checked options and found out that one can easily get W8.1 interface to behave like W7.
    Now on W10 I think it is bit better than on W8.1, but bugs everywhere. Unstable, after latest patch CCC will not even open.
    (CLI.exe process jumps in task manager and dies before CCC can open.)

But since I could hack-in classical W7 start menu, I think I'll take W10 upgrade as they'll offer.