The Witcher 3 driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by oGow89, May 11, 2015.

1. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Who knows?

High finances are not free from dirt tactics.

It could be a way to lower the AMD price before purchase by Samsung or other BIG player.

2. haz_mat

haz_mat Master Guru

GPU:
    1070 FE
    E3 is just a few weeks away now, and rumor is we could see the launch of the 300 series. The Omega driver was supposed to see a follow-up at some point, perhaps they've been polishing it as a launch driver for the new GPU while giving everyone else a bump in performance and much needed crossfire profiles.

It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings, and a lot of people have been banging on AMD's death drum for a long time - but they're still here alive and kicking with three-year-old GPUs holding ground. My friend's 7850 runs Witcher 3 surprisingly well for how old the GPU is.

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I'd like to see that 7850 running The Witcher 3 as it doesn't run great here :D

4. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    You know "well", "great" and "butter smooth" gameplay experience are all VERY subjective adjectives.

For me a game not delivering at least ROCK SOLID 60FPS at 1080p with all in game settings MAXED or near maxed without stuttering and with low frametime is not ok considering i use a 290X crossfire under water with low operation temps and high clocks .

Other people are happy to get 30 fps not stable with low-medium settings.

Last edited: May 28, 2015

5. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Well mine runs fine at 30fps locked at high settings under Windows 10.
    On windows 8.1performance considerable worse.

6. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Did you mean with offcial drivers or 1023/1023.3 modded drivers for W8.1?

They are delivering better performance than official W8.1 drivers.

I can say how good is this improvment for TW3 as i'm not playing another game without proper CFX support but single GPU users report better gameplay.

7. haz_mat

haz_mat Master Guru

GPU:
    1070 FE
    Its totally playable, he is really enjoying the game - and if he cared that much about framerate I'm sure he could squeeze more than the 30s hes getting out of it now. This game's low-med settings look fine, and even with high/ultra settings on my 290x I haven't seen TW3 using more than 1.6 gigs of VRAM (even less before the 1.04 patch) - his 7850 is a 2GB model so I'm sure that helps. All from a 3 year old card you can find on Craigslist for 80 bucks or less.

Compared to how the new Dragon Age runs on his system, TW3 looks AND runs better.

8. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I've tried 15.4/15.5/1018/1023.0/1023.3/r3xx drivers. All run the same to me with the W3. The only change I felt with the game is when they released 1.03, it stuttered less. Windows 10 isn't practical right now :)

As soon as the game spikes to 50ms I feel it. If that happens every 5 seconds it's unplayable to me. 30FPS isn't pleasant for me that's why I have 2 7950's... Crossfire is disabled in W3, regards, AMD.

At this rate I either class myself as being highly sensitive to frametime fluctuations, extremely unlucky or delusional.
    Most other games work fine (give or take GameWorks).

9. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    10122 is performing very well here, 10125 is supposed to be even better but i will wait for the Enterprise version flavour, i'm tired of ESD to ISO and version changer.

10. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    10122 give me vanishing start menu icons, no DXVA or flash hardware acceleration. Video is only playing with software decoding. DX12 isn't functioning. Sounds like they're forgetting to test their drivers on older hardware. Great.

11. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Maybe if you had a 7970 you could disguise it as 280 rebrand and get support.

We all know changing a label in AMD use to "magically" disolves "hardware" limitations!. :D

12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    My GPU's are seen as 280's in some applications, bloody good idea though.

13. Scout

Scout Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x GTX 980Ti
    Captain's log, stardate 93006.24

Crossfire profile is still missing, all hope is lost for this month.

14. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    To be fair, they did release 15.4.1 (hotfix) which was classed as a May driver.

15. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    they should provide also a specific changelog to complete the illusion of a driver release been this drivers no more than unspecified freesync monitor fixes....

16. haz_mat

haz_mat Master Guru

GPU:
    1070 FE
    Don't get me wrong, it can definitely be better - but considering the age of the architecture and a real lack of recent driver improvements its holding up well.

All they gotta do is release a driver that gets crossfire working and a general 10-15% buff in performance. If they manage that I think I will be able to run VSR at 2560x1600 in this game with the settings I've got now - and my friend's 7850 will last yet another year.

Yeah, having to wait for a driver to get crossfire working sucks - but it is a condition of the current graphics APIs combined with AMD having less driver development resources than the competition. Take it or leave it. But it ain't all roses in the nVidia camp either, so be warned. They do some things better over there, but they still have their fair share of screwups.

17. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It used to be slightly better. They cut CAPs and then limited themselves to 1 driver a month that was more like 4 months a few drivers ago. It wasn't great to begin with but now it's just depressing but there's not much I can do. I can't sell the cards right now as I wouldn't be able to buy a good enough replacement.

18. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    @haz_mat

Do you mean VSR with modded drivers in 7000 series?

I can't understand why they say 7000 series can't get VSR and mods allow it.

They should be smart enough to close the "gates" to modders if they decided to shutdown support on old GPUS.

Their fail on this simple action (for them) show them as liars when mods proved false the imposible support..

19. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The modded drivers enables VSR. Alternately CRU works with Windows 8.1/10.

20. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I know what i want to express is haz_mat thinks AMD only need a little effort on crossfire profiles.

I think they need to do a "little" more like not lying and get caught. :)