The Witcher 3 driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by oGow89, May 11, 2015.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Yet another GameWorks title. The future doesn't look too bright.

2. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    Let me put it this way, Arkham City drops to 25-30FPS on 290X CF for me and did so on 7970 CF too across multiple installs of Windows, versions of Windows and drivers. GameWorks wasn't even a thing then. I don't have any hopes for Arkham Knight, like, none at all.

3. Krelianz

Krelianz Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290x
    shhhh according to fanboys we should give a free pass to amd for expecting a game to work correctly and in the release day, how dare you say such things.
    Instead fanboys recommend not to buy the game or wait half year to play it.

4. amohell

amohell New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 290x
    Are you saying that Witcher 3 is unplayable on a 290x? Even with hairworks my FPS hovers around ~45 and without 60+, which is far superior compared to the competing card at the time of release, the 780ti.

And for crossfire, I do agree that the slow response from AMD is unacceptable, but do acknowledge that you can't compare a crossfire setup to a single 970, and that a 960 SLI(equal to the 280x xfire) would come with the exact same issues.

It's just utterly confusing to me that Roy would promise a driver and not follow through, is he trying to brew a storm?

Last edited: May 27, 2015

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    SLI works in The Witcher 3, crossfire doesn't.

6. amohell

amohell New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 290x
    Like I said, the crossfire issues are unacceptable, but seeing a single 290x user constantly refering Nvidia as a god send is just confusing to me.

The 780ti(The competition for the 290x at the time of release) is having trouble hitting 30 fps with hairworks enabled. The issues are not limited to AMD, and if Nvidia handles this generation as they did with the 7xx..

7. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    NVIDIA have announced they're working on it, they've kept users updated. I'm not saying what they did is acceptable but let's see if the older GPU's get optimized.

8. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    Just recently something got my attention related to game development and I'll just say that dev's are always take the blame because just recently I downloaded newest dying light patch and to my disbelief they completely fixed crossfire with that patch and now game is runs like totally different than it used to and gpu usage is 90% on both gpu's. Seeing as Dying light was Gamework title I'm surprised it took them this long to fix fundamental issues(CF)!

9. maap

maap Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
    Well It's Wednesday of the week following the promised AMD driver update. Sure hope these new vaporware drivers have something special in them.

Still having a hard time understanding why we don't a have a working crossfire profile yet.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    You are actually right. You should not support games which are designed to be broken. Because then you support business model which cashes on breaking them.
    I loved old Call of Duty, and I bought few newer ones in hope they will not f**k like in last one before and again and again. No more, CoD has to die out and leave space ($ in gamers valet) for better healthier game developers.

I do not buy PhysX games, and I would not buy Witcher 3 if I did not read books as they came out over years. Because Gameworks is enough for me to drop game. Witcher is exception and I do not see any other to come as I am not attached to any other major universe where nVidia can break things.

(I do not see how nVidia gets to butt into Forgotten Realms. And if they do, well those who love this universe usually do not forget nor forgive.)

11. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Yeah....Nvidia is "Evil Lord" and GameWorks is his "slave worker".

I'm still waiting for an VALID explanation on how is Nvidia able to :

- Stop for months AMD crossfire support on the best AAA titles

- Stop without ETA AMD crossfire Freesync support

- Restrict full 4K VSR to ONE AND ONLY ONE GPU.

I'm "all hears" for the simple explanation please, i'm not very smart. :)

12. My best guess - especially from seeing the build numbers of the Windows 10 drivers -- is that they're busting their ass porting the drivers to the WDDM 2.0 driver module and working on their DX12 support. It'd be a disaster if those drivers didn't make Windows 10's RTM.

13. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I know the "mantra":

- DX12 will be the solution for all AMD problems including crossfire

- All games will be "magically" ported to DX12 including this year and last year AAA titles to solves DX11 AMD problems.

This doesn't explain how Nvidia is able to stop AMD drivers development in HIS OWN two last added features and crossfire profiles.

:)

14. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    I don't really understand some users.
    Nvidia usually don't have their SLI working day1 for many AMD Gaming Evolved titles.
    Why can't AMD have a break in this too.

If CF don't work well as we know, why do you all insist in continuing buying AMD then?
    Buy Nvidia and use SLI or simply use Single GPU.

Dirt 3 when it was released didn't had SLI working well, it didn't scale.
    There are more games like this.
    Even the crappy the crew was full of flickering with SLI at launch.

15. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    "Many" and "AMD gaming evolved titles" shouldn't be in the same sentence :)
    The problem here is that people have already purchased AMD products and expect more.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    What else is Gameworks than set of libraries generating geometry and effects?

What makes game engine not supporting CF? It probably has to do something with way geometry and effects are sent to DirectX library.
    I am sure nVidia does not test their magic libraries performance on both nVidia and AMD systems to ensure that their platform does not look crappy in any way.

What if Gameworks does not detect CUDA capable GPU for heavy parallel workloads? Does it fall back to OpenCL/DirectCompute code path? Or does it use very optimized and multi-threaded CPU path? Or does it end up in generic code path which is just working without crash?

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  17. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    More or less the same amount of Mantle supported titles.

LOL

18. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    GameWorks it's a SOOOOOOOOOOO powerfull VOODOO it's able to "freeze" the minds of AMD driver team and make imposible to add freesync crossfire support or more than one fully supported GPU at 4K VSR!.

LOL

19. klaupe

klaupe Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AmpExtreme
    Yeah, and gameworks ****s into developers heads to give false promises.
    Gameworks also bends AMD driver development time, and surprises developers with the release of games, that have been developed for years.
    Chuck Norris ****s his pants, when Gameworks is coming
    It´s a shame.
    Please Samsung, stop the comedy and buy AMD, as long as it´s worth a penny...

BTW.: http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/05/advanced-micro-devices-inc-amd-bankrupt-by-2020/

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  20. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    ^^ Huh, some financial site that would make an accurate analysis of macro scale economics?

But, maybe (just maybe) there is some secret deal going on between AMD and Nvidia... AMD has the next gen console and Nvidia got the PC gaming scene /tinfoilhat