The Witcher 3 Complete Edition Gets Raytracing

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Developed to take advantage of the most powerful gaming hardware, the next-gen edition of the game will feature a range of visual and technical improvements, and that is including ray tracing and fast...

The Witcher 3 Complete Edition Gets Raytracing

Thunk_It, BetA, Noisiv and 1 other person like this.
  2. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Will be interested to try this out when I have a GPU that supports it (hopefully later this year). Also glad to see it's a free update for existing owners.

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I haven't even finished it, so it will be a great time to get back to the game. Great stuff, looking forward to this!

4. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    hoping for earliest prerelease marketed graphics ~2014.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    DX-R has very few opportunities to break reflections in game which does have very few shiny surfaces. So if they focus on water shader (which does not need DX-R) and improve on it, reflections are basically done. Then GI/shadows... call it complete and release.

Funny thing is that Witcher 3 is basically GPU bound even with potato CPU. So, no changes there and game may become benchmark as result.

6. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    With this and the halkhogan texture mods, you might be there.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Pretty cool to get such an update to an old game, let alone for free.

Thunk_It and anticupidon like this.
  8. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    "old game". I still play Mass Effect, which to me feels like it came out around 5-6 years ago.

XenthorX likes this.
  9. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    With better in-house graphics than most of "new" games. And I am not talking about mods.

Silva likes this.
  10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    So maybe we get towards the graphics that were shown before the downgrade? :D

j/k, but I wonder if they had so much time to spend on this so that CCP2077 must already be done and finished in terms of RTX implementation.

11. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    crap I guess wish I had logged into EGS to get it free since my Steam copy is just the normal version ;/

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Witcher 3 is actually 5 years old.
    Meanwhile, the newest AAA title I own, excluding games with many DLC releases, is the 2013 Tomb Raider.
    So, I think I'm within my right to define W3 as old. It's still current, but old by a technology standpoint.

XenthorX likes this.
  13. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    JHH said hundreds of games with RTX support are coming. TW3 with RTX would be a welcome addition to that library. In-fact, when we look at that library of games that do support RTX we see that most of them are big franchises. However, for me until FIFA gets it, then, it's not mainstream. I believe once FIFA gets it, then, every major title will also get RTX support.

14. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I was thinking about replaying the game, guess I'll wait for the update and finish the others.
    Cool to see developers still supporting their old games and of course many new people who watched the series will want to try this on their brand new consoles!

15. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Wow, this is some big news!

Thunk_It likes this.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I would take what Jens said with a grain of salt.

If you go back and look at the launch lists for RT/DLSS with the 2080Ti, more than half of those games still don't have either technology. They sold cards with the idea all those games getting support.

I think there will obviously be more supported games with the inclusion of RT in both RDNA2, Xe and consoles - but I doubt we will see hundreds of titles within 2 to 3 years.

Thunk_It likes this.
  17. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I actually just finish the triology again this week, having ALOT and ALOV mods on the game, do wonders to it. The games really do not feel as old as they are!

Only issue is I keep going paragon! I find it so hard to go renegade! But maybe that is just me haha, promised myself next time ill go femshep and be evil

XenthorX and cryohellinc like this.
  18. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    If you are 100% gpubound, then the game is gpubound ;)

If you have a good enough gpu, you will be cpubound. You can see this in all the 1080p benchmarks. SLI in this game works great, so you will be cpubound in 4k with 2080ti in SLI.

You will see the difference in min fps, if you are cpubound. But hey, noone wants to play in 1080p in this game. 3440x1440 or 4k is the way to play in this game. Everything on Ultrasettings :D Can't wait to test the raytracing in this game!

19. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
  20. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070Ti TUF
    This... this is how it's done CD Projekt. I will definitely play through the Witcher 3 again with RTX, I loved the atmosphere, I might get lost for a couple of weeks, don't look for me...

*drools*