The Witcher 3 Best Performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Raziael, May 19, 2015.

1. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    !!!

I'll try this counterintuitive solution in GTA V.

Right now i get 90-120 fps at 1080p 90-99% GPU usage all in game settings maxed but advanced settings (all truned off).

I'll activate most advanced settings and see if the simple action to vsync solves horrible frametimes and low gpu usage/FPS i had previously in this scenario.

2. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Well, i played GTA V with Vsync on all the time, so i didn't notice it at all. Strange that Vsync can make CrossFire perform better.

3. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    probably enables triple buffering by default which makes the cards run full bore.

4. RexOmnipotentus

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I'm pretty sure it will not. The extended distance scaling is a very CPU heavy feature. It will bottleneck your cards and your GPU usage will be all over the place.

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I think the same but nothing to loose trying.

My CPU is not bottlenecking the game even with all advanced settings maxed.

We know that the problem is not CPU power but DX11 AMD api overhead performance.

6. RexOmnipotentus

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I don't know anything about that. What i do know is that my GPU usage is much lower if i set the extended distance scaling slider at max. I can reduce my resolution or any other GPU intensive setting like AA for example, but it doesn't have any effect on my FPS. It only reduces the GPU usage more. That's typical cpu-bottleneck-behavior.

By the way, as far as i know the GPU usage also drops for SLI users if they have the extended distance scaling set to max. I know that totalbiscuit had exactly the same behavior with his GTX 980s as i had with my R9 290s.

I'm by no means an expert, so i could be wrong on this one. I'm just thinking about a CPU bottleneck here.

7. caleb59

caleb59 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X 8GB
    On my single HD 7850 2GB I also notice small fps increase when v-sync is on, in game fps lock on 60 - about 3fps up in cutscenes/game movies (v-sync off: 27fps, v-sync on: 30fps) - it's weird...

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Enable CPU monitoring per core in Afterburner and use the game you can follow the stadistic in OSD.

You will see then that none of the CPU cores are maxed so it's not CPU bottleneck or GPU.

It's DX11 AMD drivers performance we discussed extensively some weeks ago here.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=398858

The DX11 AMD performance is better with 1018/1023/1023.3 modded drivers who delivers near W10 drivers DX11 performance for W8.1 users.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  9. velocityx

velocityx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB
    yup I agree, I got the 1023.3 driver today with asders fixes for PC and TW3 and when I fired up GTA I was like WTH performance was way up however I still go back to vsync because tearing in this game is pretty bad with CFX

10. RexOmnipotentus

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Since when does a CPU core has to be maxed out to cause a bottleneck?

By the way. I'm not disagreeing with you on the AMD DX11 performance. I simply don't have enough knowledge about the matter. I just though that is must be a cpu-bottleneck, because i saw typical signs of it. But as i said before, i could be wrong about it ;)

Last edited: May 29, 2015

11. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    IDK maybe you know more.

From what i experienced here with GTA V and advanced settings maxed or turned off what i see in CPU core usage is almost the same:

There are none core with more than 80% usage and the load is similar in BOTH scenarios.

There are people with 5960X extreme edition (12 cores) CPUs with WAY lower CPU usage and the same mess in GPU usage.

12. RexOmnipotentus

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Just lower the resolution and other setting in a game until you can't get more FPS. This is the maximum amount of pre-rendering your CPU can do. You simply cannot do more and lowering your setting further will result in lower GPU usage. In these situations the CPU is the bottleneck.

I did test unigine vally at 720p and in the first scenes i can only get about 140fps and my maximum GPU usage was 47 procent on both cards. No core was maxing out.

The cpu has to calculate stuff, before the GPU can make the actuall frame. How does the AI react and which way does a car move to in GTA? What belongs where in the gaming world? etc. My guess is that the extended distance scaling puts more stress on the cpu, because it has to do more pre-rendering before the GPU can produce a new frame.

And as i said before. I saw the port report of totalbiscuit on youtube and he also did get very low GPU usage with the extended distance scaling at max. I thought it was around 60/60 or 50/50 at some points in the city area. He was running two GTX 980s with a i7-5930K at 4.3ghz.

13. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I understood what you said but how can a CPU can be bottlenecking something when it has a BIG % idle?

For me this is not about how CPU calcute is about how well DX11 calls are managed by AMD drivers.

We know the problem is related to distance (similar in Dying Light and other games) even if MSAA is maxed (this was another suggested fix...X4) but this change with modded drivers so the problems is not the CPU but the drivers DX11 performance.

The fps and GPU usage increase from modded drivers who has better AMD DX11 performance with the same GPUs and CPU cores show us this fact.

14. RexOmnipotentus

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Well, then i guess that bad AMD drivers are causing the CPU to work in an inefficient way with AMD hardware. Am i correct? If so, than it's technically speaking still a cpu-bottleneck that is caused by bad drivers.

15. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Star Swarm is a perfect example of showing how inefficient the CPU is in DX11.

16. RexOmnipotentus

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Then why the hell isn't AMD fixing it? Or can't it be fixed?

17. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    We are near. :D

The root cause is the bad DX 11 AMD driver performance but what we see is the effect from CPU output.

18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    There's only so much AMD can do, one of those things would be DX11 multi-threaded optimizations as DX11 single-threaded performs better :)
    Sure AMD could do better, Rockstar could do better.
    DX11 is fundamentally the bottleneck in my opinion.

19. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Nvidia has 100% more efficiency in DX11 from reported tests.

AMD modded drivers increase the DX11 performance by 30 or 40% but REAL the translation in games improvement is around 10%.

Please read the linked post.

The info is there.

20. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Even with the modded drivers, ST performs better which is just unspeakably bad...