The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - The Enhanced Edition

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Biały Wilk, Apr 10, 2012.

1. campcreekdude

campcreekdude Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 crossfire
    I dont care if the game (Witcher 2 DX9) is graphically better than other DX 11 games. It probably just has better textures or more polygon counts on shapes.

There are many games now that run better in DX 10 mode than DX 9 mode.
    Even better in DX 11...

Im not gonna waste time sourcing these games for those skeptics.

Direct3D 11 enables the following functionality to support multithreading:

Concurrent objects are now created in separate threads — Making entry-point functions that create objects free-threaded makes it possible for many threads to create objects simultaneously. For example, an application can now compile a shader or load a texture on one thread while rendering on another.
    Command lists can be created on multiple threads — A command list is a recorded sequence of graphics commands. With Direct3D 11, you can create command lists on multiple CPU threads, which enables parallel traversal of the scene database or physics processing on multiple threads. This frees the main rendering thread to dispatch command buffers to the hardware.

2. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    So what's your point? Even though a game uses DX 11 it doesn't mean it's automatically using multi-threaded rendering. You have to program the functionality into your game engine too.

3. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    DX11 is faster.
    BF3 in DX11 is faster than DX10 mode about ~30%. DX9 is outdated, intersting why CD Project made this new engine without DX11 support :nerd:

4. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    because it was already made when DX11 released?.

And bcs of fcking consoles not using it, so not 100% worthy... :/

5. Rafnagud

Rafnagud Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 TI OC
    You can have a discussion about that but i know several DX11 games who look more outdated than DX9 games.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    It runs well, looks great, so it's a good engine I'd say.
    Textures are the best part, and also... a large number of objects on screen.
    Very rich scenery I mean.

Not overly impressed with lightning though.
    Light itself as in sun rays look good, but light interaction with objects is a mixed bag.
    Very dynamic range, but plenty of objects do not care about light at all.
    Shadows are so-so.

But overall it's one of the best looking games for sure.
    Dunno why I went on about graphics, some of you above tricked me.

Actually I wish they focused more on the core game balance and piss-poor UI in EE,
    Still a decent effort overall, not to mention others would surely make us dish $$ for even less of an additional content.

7. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti
    Because they didn't need it? At the time there weren't a lot of DX11 cards DX10 cards were there though, and the minimum requirement was a 8800GT (DX10) or HD3850 (DX10).

CDproject RED is a small company, and they have to choose between spending a set amount of time creating a game as beautiful as possible on DX9 or a game less beautiful because they have to invest in supporting DX10/11 as well, I think it's an easy choice. Certainly when you consider that the Witcher 2 blew any DX10/11 game out of the water graphically.

DX9 is outdated, but regarding a game as inferior because it's using DX9 isn't valid reasoning.

Already said in this thread (considering graphics):
    Dragon Age 2 VS Witcher 2 = Witcher 2 wins
    Skyrim VS Age of Conan = Skyrim wins

8. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    And AFAIK, the only game confirmed to be using it is Civilization V...Battlefield 3 was supposedly going to use it, but it was too slow for them

I've seen this mentioned a couple of times...Were there ever any benchmarks to back it up? Am quite interested in BF3 DX10 vs DX10.1 vs DX11 performance, because AFAIK, the only visual difference between them is that DX11 can enable terrain above medium(which is because it's tessellated then)

Perhaps TW2 is DX9 because they didn't want to alienate the XP market...And they have been pretty open that they made the engine with multiplatform in mind

9. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
  10. TechFreaK

TechFreaK Banned

GPU:
    GeForce GTX570 Custom OC
    ^
    It won't speed up supersampling if that's what you're after ;)

Although it could help by lightning (more defined), shadows (better quality) and LODs (further distance) with less calls..

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    CDP Red just don't have the time or money to optimise the game for DX9 and DX11, same thing with other smaller developers which is why things like Hard Reset and Serious Sam 3 are DX9 only as well.
    Blizzard on the other hand do have the time and money, but WOW needs it, while Diablo3 doesn't.

As per above, the shadows could be improved, but i don't care either way whether this has DX11 or not, it looks fantastic as it is, and i would rather a fully working DX9 game than a buggy DX9/11 one.

12. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Sanity +1

13. adrock311

adrock311 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    yep, i wish the combat was more than quen , dodge ,dodge button mash, quen dodge dodge button mash

14. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...on-and-GeForce-graphics-cards-tested/Reviews/

Also:

[​IMG]
    http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,699424/Stalker-Call-of-Pripyat-DirectX-11-vs-DirectX-10/Practice/
    Ofcourse that numbers in 2012 are different but I think them are different more for DX11 mode :nerd:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  15. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    BF3 is the only game that happens in, and it took support and likely money from Nvidia, AMD and Microsoft, so if those three want to help CDP Red with it, i'm sure they would jump at the chance.

BF3's marketing budget was 5 times more than what Witcher 2 cost to make.

16. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
  17. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Stalker is a horrible example as that is a company that is struggling to not go bust, and AMD paid for it in AVP.

CDP Red obviously love good visuals, as well as giving their customers as much value as possible, if they could of done DX11 without compromising things or spending too much money, they would have, especially when the sales of Skyrim helped prove that things like DX11 aren't that important to most RPG gamers.

18. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Take it to a DX9 vs DX11 thread, isn't this thread about the witcher 2 EE? or maybe i read the title wrong.

19. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Wow, I haven't played this game since release, on my old 580/Phenom 2 setup and I forgot how gorgeous it is - gotta be one of the most vibrant and sharp-looking titles out there. The character and clothing/armor textures in particular are stunning. It's the exact opposite of the typical blurry console port.

I also forgot how unforgiving it is. First go 'round, I played good guy all the way. This time I decided to play games with Roche under interrogation and BAM, arrow in the back, and game over. :cry:

Great stuff, CDPR! :rock:

20. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Great interview here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnI9shQWk7k&list=UUCbfB3cQtkEAiKfdRQnfQvw&feature=plcp

These guys have to be the most transparent, candid developers out there - discussing the torrent option (at about 9:20), the dlc (ripoff) model, and the building of goodwill with customers. Great that these guys are finally getting more widespread press with the release of the 360 version.

Best quote: "We hate stupid games"