The Witcher 2 1.1 Patch Download.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by harkinsteven, May 26, 2011.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Hmm? I was mainly reporting how the launcher worked in that post, perhaps I worded it incorrectly then if that is the impression you get?

Basically a .dzip is a compressed format the game uses, these are loaded automatically when in the CookedPC folder.

A .dlc file is a encrypted form of .dzip loading after those and is utilizing your cd-key for validation and decryption, these also load automatically.

By just copy/pasting the DLC into the CookedPC folder (Or converting them to .dzip first if you prefer.) there is no need to use the launcher at all which is currently a bit buggy but will be fixed in time, hopefully in the update coming next week but it might be longer than that.
    (Aspect ratio fix is planned for the third path in June sometime now.)

2. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Sorry for not reading 7 pages of thread for a solution to your CloneDVD version problems. /s

Settle pettle I wasn't accusing you of 'being dumb', I was just offering a suggestion. Why don't you go play your pirated version of Rapelay and calm down.

@Jonas

You said

then you later said:

Which to me read like you wanted the need to validate DLC :S which is like wishing for DRM, that's just what I thought you meant, if that is what you meant, then I'm confused as to why you would want that.

Copy paste for authentication is better than online activation. Especially seeing as they just removed the need to register online at all with the 1.1 version patch.

They also said that ALL DLC would be free and that the only additional paid content would be expansion packs so if it's free...I see no need to authenticate online. Pirates will get it one way or another, not having to go online works fine for me.

I suffered for years with terrible internet so I avoid online activation like the plague.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  3. sandman9

sandman9 Member

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    I agree with Darren Hodgson and others that this is really a great game and should be bought legally and not pirated.
    In fact, I've ordered my copy online and will get it around 31st May.
    That said, I'd like to add that White Lightning and Darren Hodgson jumped the gun a bit in celebrating when that noob Penal Stingray said that the patch wasn't working with the pirated version.
    I've been informed that it is very much working , in fact, only too well !
    Let me put it this way. 'Privateers' like Skidrow literally make one jump through hoops to get one of their games working..... install this... copy that... replace that etc. etc.
    What this patch does, is to remove all the hoops and lay down a red carpet , literally:D
    More than that I won't say !
    No offense, just a reminder not to underestimate the enemy !

4. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Try to delete all dlc and non-game resources(mods, fonts....)

5. Trolle

Trolle Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    like i said before try reinstalling it

6. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    The DLC are copy protected dchalf10 :)

They use the .dlc format as a encrypted form of the .dzip format encoded with each users unique cd-key but there are ways around this (A recent release having them all pre decrypted into the normal .dzip format directly, also allows modding them further should that be of interest.)

Each user thus gets a unique version of the dlc via a personalized download link and that is registered and validated via the launcher upon download.
    (EDIT: Such as "http://dlc.thewitcher.com/download/*UniqueNumber*/troll.dlc ")

This patch method for the current released DLC work the same way but writes it upon installation.
    (Exception being Troll Trouble which is now bundled with the 1.1 update as a standard .dzip)

http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?p=54238&sid=56ecd90d743f8e1fe1f7808baa92adaf#p54238
    (Slightly better explanation.)

EDIT: I'm not that good at explaining of course (I mention that quite frequently.) but my previous post and this one should hopefully have had it cleared (laid?) out much better and more descriptive. :)

(All DLC are free as you say - but still protected in a way - and expansions will be paid for but adds more substantial content as far as I've understood their method with addons to the game.)

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  7. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I was about to say that I have all the DLC and that they are all DZIP format but upon checking I saw the 'swordsman suit ( it's supposed to be 'suite' rather than 'suit' ) is the .DLC format. I saw all DLC in game except that so I know what you mean now.

I hope they change it/fix it/make it available as a DZIP file because the current 'offline authentication' method suits me just fine. I have decent internet, but like I said, for years I didn't so I'm not a fan of having to register for content that was already paid for and verified; both by credit card authentication, and when I sign for it when it gets delivered.

So having to prove I own it for a third time....is just bad customer service.

8. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Just as a small notification they have offered all DLC via their website or e-mail messaging but the links should have been posted earlier for all six of them.

http://wpc.420c.edgecastcdn.net/00420C/files/InstalDLC/dlc_finishers.exe
    http://wpc.420c.edgecastcdn.net/00420C/files/InstalDLC/roche_jacket.exe
    http://wpc.420c.edgecastcdn.net/00420C/files/InstalDLC/magical_suit.exe
    http://wpc.420c.edgecastcdn.net/00420C/files/InstalDLC/swordsman_suit.exe
    http://wpc.420c.edgecastcdn.net/00420C/files/InstalDLC/merchant.exe
    http://wpc.420c.edgecastcdn.net/00420C/files/InstalDLC/alchemy_suit.exe
    (For convenience, then there's Troll Trouble but it's part of the 1.1 update and in .dzip which I assume means data zip or some such compressed archive.)

Depending on the situation it might be a bit unfortunately that once the launcher is fixed properly (registration, dlc, auto-updating.) future DLC will likely only be available from via that system without optional download links although I am unsure how the verification works in more detail, hopefully it's purely cd-key based so installing or re-installing with the same key (anywhere.) will make them work again without having to re-download anything later on but I have no idea how they've implemented this method outside of some basic info that's been posted.

Though I suppose there's worse situations, Steam for example updates files by comparing the data (MD5 hash perhaps?) in the .ncf data files (Sort of a file index for Steam I guess.) and then re-downloads any updated files or missing files if you do a full re-verification, for Witcher 2 that entails 9 GB for nearly every update.
    (All patches that change data0.dzip or what it was called, main game archive.)

(Unless they introduce a patch.dzip or similar intermediate file, would help and would also make it easy to see what exactly was updated should it be needed for say mod compatibility as a example.)

9. phrozin

phrozin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gskill ripjaw 2133
    thank you just what I needed :)