The Windows 7 Thread Pt.3

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by John, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The install folder is in C:\Program files but there is no uninstaller with it, it's prob be in C:\Windows\Installers

The install folder is only about 5-10Mb though...

2. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    lol cheers pill :nerd:, i goggled a bit and found out its build-in and you cant remove it, only disable it..

i could remove the folder maualy and clean registry but dunno, maybe Action center freaks out so i'm leaving it..

The problem is it keeps updating itself, i disabled it now completely (before i had it in passive mode).. maybe it will stop now.

3. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    anyone noticed sometimes when you press start then the text box for search is locked up ie you cant type into it until you restart :3eyes:

4. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Nope - never happened here.

5. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    I think Vista/7 is like Win 98/Me comparison.

Will going back to Vista cause problems in the future?

6. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    jes tried win 7, and the windows index experience is having errors, mostly after finishing or doing the primary hard disk test...
    saw this at the end of winsat.log

what could be the issue here? HDD mebbe? there seems to be no errors in the other tests.

so far so good for me, readyboost manage to somehow increase some performance for me (2GB flash drive) since im still using ol PATA drives :D

some drivers doesn't work though, specially the usb surround headset drivers :(

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  7. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    Is there any way to send the desktop icons like computer, user files, network, recycle bin and control panel to the task bar? I can remove these icons from the desktop through the "change desktop icons" option but cannot send it to the taskbar.

Please help.

8. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    Of course i can creat a dektop toolbar but then the icons appear very close to each other.

9. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i think if you create multiple toolbars, you can move sets of icons apart or do 1 icon for each toolbar and spread them out a bit. of course it requires you to have a folder for just 1 shortcut though.

I really like the standalone stack 2 http://www.chrisnsoft.com/download/langswitch_lang/en/#standalonestack

i create groups of shortcuts in a specific folder like "games" or "music"..etc and use stacks to link to one of those folders and another stack to link to the other...etc
    as apposed to having individual shortcuts all laid out in a toolbar, rocketdock..etc. keeps the clutter down.

theres also 7stacks, which is more like OSX tiger i think and allows you scroll through the files, never tried it though

10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm coming across a number of bugs with Windows 7, none of which are major but they're glitches nevertheless. These are:

1. Sometimes, but not always, renaming a desktop icon causes it to disappear. Hitting F5 to refresh the screen seems to clear the issue by making it reappear.
    2. Sometimes, but not always, renaming a file inside a folder (using Explorer) fails to show the revised name if you only change the case of the letter, i.e. upper to lower case or vice versa. Hitting F5 again fixes this.
    3. Deleting a folder or file from the Start > Program Files menu sometimes doesn't appear to remove it even though it actually *has* gone as repeating the process results in a "folder does not exist" error.
    4. Renaming a folder from the Start > Program Files menu occasionally results in a duplicate folder being created. Logging off then on fixes the problem.

All of those seem to have one thing in common and that is that if the windows or screen is refreshed then the issue is sorted. Seems to me that Windows 7, unlike Windows Vista, doesn't always refresh the screen immediately following a user operation and this results in the kind of issues I listed above. It's definitely a bug as it doesn't happen all the time, just infrequently enough to become noticeable over time.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
  12. Mr_Alexander

Mr_Alexander Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    I think I read somewhere long time ago that in Windows 7 you cannot disable feture like "automatically look for a driver update". In Vista you can choose "Do not look for the driver". Is it true?. If it is I do not understand how to do clean driver install for display driver. Lets say after Driver sweeper in the safe mod it will reboot and it will start installing some driver but not the one I want to install for example.
    Or maybe I misunderstood something and you can disable it in 7 also.

13. PuddingWagon

PuddingWagon Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    You should be fine if you turn off automatic updates. I don't remember having any issues like that when I first installed graphics drivers.

14. Mr_Alexander

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    That was I wanted to know if there were an option to turn off auto updates. So it is in present. Where I learned it was not in 7 I have no idea.
    Thank you for your reply.

15. Mr_Alexander

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    I am really inpressed by Newegg.
    It was my first time purchase from them and wow. I placed an order for my Windows 7yesterday Nov. 26 at 10 am. and got email later that my order was shipped at 7 pm. Today I am still at work and it is 2.30 pm right now I checked status of my pakage and it says delivered Nov 27 11 am. on the porch. I do not know which city they shipped it from but not Toronto but that was really fast. So when I come home today I already have it waiting for me. After this I recommend Newegg to everyone.
    I have a question.
    I will do fresh install today including format of HD not update. Is there specific way I need to do it or it is the same as Vista install. I am asking because I read somewhere that if you choos just format it will still leave all windows on HD. I think you need to delete patrition or something first or I am mistaken.
    Thank you.

16. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Just boot from the DVD and select "custom/advanced" installation/setup. It then will give you the option to format the partition/HDD:

[​IMG]

17. Mr_Alexander

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    Thank you.

18. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Is there ANY difference between Pro and Home Premium versions in UI or colors scheme expect for the words Professional instead of Home Premium?

19. dshramek

dshramek Guest

None that I can tell.

20. Mr_Alexander

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    Do you know any programs that can check my drivers and do an update if nessasary. After I install Windows 7 I tried as usual to insert my ASUS dvd that come with my MOBO to install chipset and some other drivers for my MOBO. But I get message that system is not compatible and dvd will not run setup program anymore like it was in Vista. Does Windows 7 take care of everything on its own. So far I learned very well how to install VIDEO CARD and SOUND CARD drivers I never installed or update any others since I got my computer.
    Everything looks ok. My INDEX score:
    Processor 7.5
    Memory(RAM) 7.6
    Graphics Desktop for windows AERO 7.8
    Gaming graphics 7.8
    Primary Hard disk 5.9