The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Scorch666, Nov 2, 2010.

1. vonSternberg

vonSternberg Member Guru

GPU:
    ECS GT430
  2. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    Nothing wrong with FTWD, the third season was actually alright, actually confirmed a few things that so far TWD hasn't clairfied (such as it is a planet wide outbreak). The focus is clearly different, TWD is about Rick and his GROUP, by that level anyone who has proven to be worthwhile is part of his group afforded the same protection, treated fairly and their life held in equal with anyone else unless it really is a no win situation.

He is also a very by the number leader he calls a spade a spade.

FTWD is clearly about Madison and her family, everyone else is essentially a number in an equation that she uses to determine weather her and her family will be safe. If it puts her family at risk then it's an unacceptable risk, she is also willing to coehere lie and manipulate to whatever degree she feels is needed to ensure her families safety. It also is most likely the reason why they have all put killed off all but three of her family members (Travis was fine as a voice of reason but the things Madison got up to in season 3 would have been nothing but a source of conflict between her and Travis, then again part of why she did what she did in S3 could be down to Travis getting the bullet.)

Beyond that they have stripped the mains from S2 and S3 down to 3 family members, Strand and Daniel came back from the dead. (most likely because he's 100% a total bad ass.)

As for the crossover, well I fully expected us to see a Travis zombie at some point during S3, then again shot in the stomach and falls from a helicopter in the arse end of no where... dunno maybe he survives?
    With the rest of the group scattered at the end of S3 it could be literally anyone that turns up in TWD. The only issue they have is that it will have to be a main, or at least someone everyone remembers and at the moment the biggest issue FTWD has is that their is not a lot of very memorable characters who are still alive.

It WON'T be a TWD character showing up in FTWD. The time frames do not add up and their is no back story established within the TWD from any of the TWD characters that would work. The time line between the FTWD S4 and TWD S9 though is long enough that a character could be seen leaving in an episode of FTWD and then appearing in the TWD.

As for S8E1 of TWD, remembering where we were at the end of S7E1 it is great to see the rolls reversed Negan hiding in fear for his life. My god though does Negan steal just about every scene he is in and I am certainly am looking for to the shittin pants memes that are surely just round the corner.

3. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080ti GamX
    I have no issues with Madison, its the other characters that make FTWD terrible.
    "If it puts her family at risk then it's an unacceptable risk, she is also willing to coehere lie and manipulate to whatever degree she feels is needed to ensure her families safety"
    Sounds a lot like what TWD Shane preached to Rick, and we know what happened to Shane. FTWD is what TWD would have been if Shane lived.
    Terrible is,
    telling your sister I got your boyfriend back then getting him killed to save the troublemaker, then telling the troublemaker you killed his father. It is three years into the apocalypse and you need to leave the safety of numbers to find yourself, these are Madison kids and they are terrible. Daniel and Strand are no better.

4. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    Can I ask where you got the three years from? To my knowledge even the Walking Dead is running on a time frame of about 2 years in to the event. FTWD is barely even a year in to it, so far their has been no significant time skips like TWD had with season 2 - 3 (they lost an entire winter season) and season 3 - 4 (the time skip was enough for them to have a working farming system, pigs, crops, an outdoor eating area and all the folk from Woodbury seemed to have settled in and been given jobs or other things to do.) So far the events of FTWD have run pretty much back to back.

As for Alicia leaving, you did watch the episode where she was trapped in a bunker with a load of people, were she was in a location with loads of people that would be classed as safety in numbers right up until those numbers meant she was trapped surrounded by a load of dead that she then had to kill. I can see why she would want to leave and find somewhere out of the way and quiet by herself given that the safety in numbers had almost just killed her and DID kill just about everyone else. As for Strand and Daniel they really highlight the point I am making

TWD is about a group of people working together to survive, doing what they can to make the group as a whole survive.
    FTWD is very much about the individuals doing whatever they believe they can do to ensure they or the ones closest to them survive.

5. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080ti GamX
    I was using seasons for years, my bad. TWD only 2 years into the apocalypse, I was wondering why the food was still fresh and gas still available.
    Ofelia was in the same bunker and the last thing she wanted to do was see her family again.

6. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    and Carl has a condition that makes him age in dog years... just no one mentions it in the show. ;)

Uh.... I am a bit lost as to what point you're making here, could you explain? Yes Ofelia was in the same bunker but she was also conducting the crawl through the passage way to try and find the source of the blockage so she wasn't really IN the bunker at least not the same way Alicia was, also at THAT point in time she didn't know that her father was still alive, she essentially had no family as she was aware.

7. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
  8. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Jedi Titan XP
    Teenage girl gives location of boat early on, after being told to keep radio silence, but boy friend, who she has never met, is worth it. She puts whole family in peril, I had enough, quit watching!!!!

9. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080ti GamX
    What about Judith?
    Ofelia and Alicia had just came from a life or death situation which usually make people want to be with family or loved ones instead of leave them.

10. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    Fair enough but is that really true? Perhaps it is for yourself which is fine if that is but the reality is everyone deals with stressful situations in very different ways. Some people will indeed want to be around family friends loved ones on the other hand some people go the opposite way, seeking to be alone becoming withdrawn, they will want to be on their own.

11. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080ti GamX
    Not sure why father Gabriel is now sick in bed, nor Rick's battle plans for the saviors, all I see is a strategy that lets Negan get off the hook.

12. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    annnndd the one eyed bullet magnet is outta here!

Gotta say was kind shocked by that ending. Also why does the show seem to get so much more interesting when it's the saviours doing stuff. You had the whole first half with Rick and his team doing stuff which was alright, not great but alright and then you have one episode with the saviours doing their stuff and it's freaking fantastic.

13. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    Because... THEY ARE NEGAN! And Negan IS awesome! :eek:

As for the episode, it was OK, I kind of expected it (except my bets were on a different character). What can I say, it's one of those plot twists that will be more interesting in the long run for me because it's very different from the comics.

14. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080ti GamX
    Iam still not a fan of emotional long goodbye episodes, but I did like the other action with the Morgan, Gavin climax.

15. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    You know what after nearly 3 months of explaining, fan reaction, further explanation, shock, horror, theory at is it true, how's he going to get out of it, cast reaction. I am just glad it's done. I don't remember ANY other character getting quite the same coverage after they got killed off and yeah while it was an episode long good bye (did any other character get as long a goodbye?) I am willing to let them away with this one, on the other hand the look at the ideal future he hope for leaves his character arc as shockingly optimistic in what he believes his father can achieve or stupidly naive.

On a side note what is starting to get a bit annoying is the end of the episode being shown at the start and then the rest of the episode telling us how they got there, with little 5 or 10 second snippets of the end being shown, usually at the points after advertisement breaks would be. It's a story telling method that the show started using 2 or 3 seasons ago but it seems to be getting used more and more and I hate it.

Repo Man likes this.

16. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080ti GamX
    The Carl we saw in this episode who was changed by the events that happened at the prison was not the same Carl we saw middle of season 7 who was hellbent on ending Negan all by himself.

#metoo. Didn't they once do this for an entire season, showing the first episode then the remaining episode showed how they got to that point?

17. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    How many caught that in one scene Carl's patch was on the wrong eye?

18. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    This!... Its a nifty little trick for 1 episode but when that sort of stuff gets overused it gets old really fast.

I honestly didn't feel Carl's character in anyway except a hinderance to the group and story in the end so I'm kinda glad hes now gone even though I liked the actor so all power to Chandler Riggs for going so many seasons which had to be a bit of a surreal experience to be part of something like that for almost the entirety of his teenage years.

As for the show itself, I'm seriously at the point of guilty watching it now where I feel that I've stuck with it for so long through the good and bad times that I may as well see where it heads next but I could just as easily not bother anymore and not lose any sleep. I'm cautiously hopeful about this latter half of the season but something tells me its going to disappoint.

19. Mugsy

Mugsy Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Pulse
    Finally a pretty good episode. Don't think i've been eager to see the next episode like this in the last 2-3 seasons.

20. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    God is it me or it almost impossible to watch Steven Ogg and not just see him channelling Trevor whenever he says or does anything? He started off as Neegan's right hand man and watching him take and carry out orders with barely any question or come back was refreshing but over the last few episodes I've watched Trevor his way out and that comment about having 'his balls dangling in the wind' (paraphrasing) was 100% pure Trevor and now with what's happened in the last episode I suspect that he is going to go full bore Trevor very soon.

Other than that yeah enjoyed the last episode and that end scene, also who the f*ck is the creepy glasses woman travelling the Earth like a mobile encyclopedia?

BangTail and airbud7 like this.