The Usual Suspects!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by RandyB, Oct 25, 2007.

1. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    NOT!
    I just transplanted everything into my new Stacker CM 832 and it's behavior has me baffled!
    My computer won't enter sleep mode. It will go through its' sleep routine - and then just hang.
    It also won't hibernate. It will go into hibernate mode; then, immediately restart.
    Now, I've troubleshooted this thing until my head hurts. I've removed all components and cables and set it back up; tried using only vid card and one HD. I checked all the cables and I just can't seem to find the source of the problem. I even booted up my other OS, which was entering sleep just fine - and...the same thing. My best guesses would be either some sensor on the MB has gone flaky; or, the PSU is having some problem; or, the BIOS has developed a problem. My problem is I can't find one other problem that would indicate something's wrong. Could the power button connection. itself be having a problem?
    The thing is - everything is running perfectly, otherwise. My CPU and MB temps are 30C and 32C, everything seems to be 100%. I ran Prime all night with no errors.
    Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated! I've ran into this scenario before; although, it was always some add-on card or driver issue.
    I don't have any driver issues and I receive no error messages at all. :confused:

2. Grifty

Grifty Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870 1GB
    check for any damages on the motherboard on both sides

3. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    Thanx...been there - done that. ;)

4. Jenova_link

Jenova_link Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    Maybe he/she is in a big house now so he/she don't want to sleep...hahahh hmmmm kind of funny never had that problem and never put my computer on sleep mode so not sure....sorry

5. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Offtopic, why change of case?

You sure you've checked through the bios?

6. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    Have you seen this case? It's awesome. Besides, it's way past time that I had a case with a removable MB tray, and wheels...
    Yes, I've been through the BIOS many times. I've done quite a bit of troubleshooting over the years and AFAICT, it's none of the "Usual Suspects".
    I can't stand feeling stupid!!!:knock:

7. Pyro the Dragun

Pyro the Dragun Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GT 555M
    Well, you'd better get used to it. :p lol j/k
    Have you tried reseting the CMOS? I suggest you give it a go if you haven't already. Sometimes I'm baffled as to why unplugging then reseating my RAM or CPU can give errors if I haven't reset my CMOS.
    Also, (and this is kind of a shot in the dark) have you cleaned your RAM pins ever? If not, just takes some paper and diligently rub the pins on your RAM modules. You might be surprised at what you find on the paper! When your PC enters Standby the RAM is only given minimum voltage and is refreshed at a very low rate. Dirty pins (even pins that just have a small layer of dust covering them) might be causing the RAM to not get enough voltage (or something like that :knock:)
    If all else fails you might look at your PSU to see if it's supplying the correct voltages when in standby, but how you'd test this I have no idea.
    Good luck dude.

8. SuperDave23414

SuperDave23414 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    I have the same problem.....and i gave up.=\havent tried the ram thing yet tho. but sometimes it will sometimes it wont but when it does go into sleep mode and you wake it up all hell breaks loose! my cpu and temp alarms go crazy untill I turn it off so i just stopped messing with it. intersted to see if you come up with some fixed pls post if you do!!!

9. samov

samov Master Guru

GPU:
    mobility x1600 256
    maybe the power supply can go into stand by? isn't stacker a server case?

10. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    The computer was going into standby just fine before I transplanted. I just took the whole thing apart and put it back together again...same problem.
    FYI, just about every Asus MB I've had, craps out after changing CPU or any handling of the MB. :knock:

BTW: Anyone with the Stacker 832; did you know that you can install the MB on either side? Same with the fan door. ;)

P.S. ATM = +12 = 12.21v, Vcore = 1.32v, +3.3 = 3.23v, +5 = 4.97v.
    Are these within range?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007