1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultra-wide club

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by wavetrex, Aug 29, 2017.

1. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC Radeon VII
    Yes, aware of that, but @3840x1080, it's literally half the stress of 4K on my GPU's, hence I can max out all ingame setting. Plus, I like the super UW view the monitor afford.

2. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 TI
    They announced a new 1440p version as far as I’m aware.
    After seeing the higher resolution, I wouldn’t want to go back to anything 1080p anymore.
    The stress is severe though.

3. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC Radeon VII
    Regardless, I went ahead and bought it, should have it by tomorrow....free delivery as it's too big to fit into a regular car.

4. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC Radeon VII
    The shop that I'd bought the monitor from did an early delivery, I didn't even clear up my 21:9 monitor space on my desk.
    [​IMG]

Pardon my messy desk, I wasn't prepared for them to deliver the monitor today....looks great though, I had Metro 2033 Redux running just to show the sheer amount of screen real estate.
    [​IMG]

5. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    ^^That looks fantastic, I would be all over it if it was 1440p

quantum hacker likes this.
  6. Shataan

Shataan Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 FTW3Ultra
    I was considering the Samsung 49 incher. but after looking at the images height on these monitors, it seems like some of the image on top and bottom seems cut away. Width is amazing. But the height seems to squish the image. And it seems like there is top and bottom image loss.

7. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC Radeon VII
    After playing some games on this Super Ultra Wide (SUW), I find it not quite suitable for fast, action packed FPS games like UT3.....there's just too much to take in twisting, turning, jumping while fragging at the same time. Buuut, for games like HL2 series, Metro series, Battlefield series and such, where you walk and run around in a less frantic pace, the extra width does convey more visual info for better awareness of the surroundings. I've not tried an racing games, other than the demo of Forza Horizon and it was just stunning, there's just so much more to see. Will be back with more impression (IF I have any more that is)....

Anyway, I have my RTX 2080 Ti hooked up to my Acer XR341CK when I wanna play fast paced action FPS like Serious Sam series, UT series....so, I ain't gonna miss out on anything.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  8. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC Radeon VII
    Since this super ultra wide monitor's build for racing games (due to its aspect artio), I'd gotten a Logitech G29 steering wheel and pedal. Pic below is a rough initial setup, will manage the cables later, right now, more concerned about the sensitivity of the steering wheel, I'll have to adjust it.
    [​IMG]

0blivious, Rich_Guy and The1 like this.
  9. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 SLI Reference
    Hey folks, I could use some advice.

I'm looking to get a 34" QHD UltraWide. The thing is, I want to go VA instead of IPS. I've had both types in the past, and for my gaming use case (exclusively at night, in a dark room), the deeper blacks of a VA panel are of greater benefit to me than the more vivid colors of IPS panels.

Looking around online, the best VA panel under $700 I could find seems to be the Acer ED347CKR

Can anyone think of another VA panel I should consider? If so, please let me know. I'm looking to pull the trigger around the first of the year.

10. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 TI

11. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I can recommend the AOC AG352UCG6, it's not under $700 (I think amazon has it for $800 normally) but it's cheaper than others with equivalent specs and it is a nice VA panel.

Compared to the Acer one you linked it has the advantage of gsync and an extra 20Hz refresh rate. If your profile is lying and you have an AMD gpu then yea go for freesync, but otherwise if you care about adaptive sync you're stuck with the extra cost for gsync.

12. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 SLI Reference
    I do have 970 SLI, but I'm not really concerned with FreeSync/G-Sync. Currently, I run all games at 60fps with V-Sync on because I like consistency. I'm only playing single-player and co-op stuff, so I don't need the competitive advantage of additional reaction time. The 100hz of all these panels should be more than enough for me.

13. Shataan

Shataan Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 FTW3Ultra
    I`m still waiting for this: ROG Swift PG35VQ Gaming Monitor - 35 inch, Ultra-WQHD, HDR, 21:9 Curved, 200Hz, G-SYNC™

This was supposed to be released this year. Vaporwhere so far.

14. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC Radeon VII
    Well, wait's nearly over....LG will be releasing 5120x1440 monitor pretty soon.

15. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR
    I hope 3440x1440 gets more affordable later.
    I don't mind going back to AMD for Freesync if the RX 3080 is going to be faster or equal as RTX 2070.

My current Acer Z35 is good enough for me, even with tho's big flaws it has.

16. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 TI
    That’s why I’m fine with 100Hz. With my typical eye candy, I couldn't drive 144 anyhow.

17. quantum hacker

quantum hacker Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 275 - 896 MB
    1440peasants...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Duke Nil likes this.
  18. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapp. RX Vega 64 LC
    Resi 7 plays perfect in 4K, fullscreen, no black bars, where as my native 3440x1440, has the black bars :p

19. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    Hey man, you still digging that ultrawide?!

20. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 TI
    Thanks to NVIDIA, my monitor just gotceven better.
    GSync works fine, even with an extended range from 24-100Hz.
    Now I’ll judt need to find out why everything has to be windowed/borderless for it to work, but as performance is still good, I won’t need to hurry.