The Ultra-wide club

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by wavetrex, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Anyone had any probs gettting DOOM and Wolfie New Colo. into 3440x1440 ?

Both Vulkan games, and both just won't have it, as i change to 21:9 3440x1440 and hit apply, screen goes black to make the change, then couple of seconds later, rig just restarts, and i get the Windows has recovered from unexpected shutdown error jobbie.

Had a Google, and it seems im not alone, found a possible fix, right click the game.exe, and compatability tab, Override DPI Scaling setting, but i don't have a compatability tab :confused:

Tried Woflie New Col. again, this time going Window mode, instead of Full Screen, and that worked, so tried changing from there to Full, but got the same as above.

Going to try Borderless, seen as Windowed worked.

EDIT:

I found the compatability tab, it was the game.exe in the games folder, inside the SteamApps, but doesn't work either, game boots up in 3440x1440 window mode, but asks to set brightness again, when i do that and apply, says please wait saving profile, and thats it, just sits there, doesn't crash or owt, as i can still move mouse about, have to Task Manager kill it, so reversed the setting, but the game stays the same, so ive ****** it. :p :(

Tried DOOM in borderless 3440x1440 (as didn't try its DPI Setting in its compatability tab), but that does the same as Full Screen, goes black like its doing the change, then couple secs later, restarts, Windows Has Recovered Unexpected Shutdown job.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  2. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    I have played both games extensively and have never EVER had that problem. That sounds terrible! Can you get it to run at 2560x1440? Is your crap overclocked at all? I just saw that you have a VEGA gpu, perhaps a driver issue? Have you tried both Vulkan and OpenGL in DOOM? Sorry you are having problems brother.

I follow WAF on YouTube as well. I really like his videos.

Rich_Guy likes this.
  3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah plays at 2560x1440 fine, as my previous monitor was that res, only tried them both in Vulkan, but will see what happens in OpenGL, done a google, and seems im not the only one with the prob, and some that are having the prob, have Nvidia cards.

Must be something to do with those games, as everything else ive tried, works perfectly.

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I haven't had any issues with those games either. Both work fine with vulcan at 3440x1440

Rich_Guy likes this.

5. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    No problems for me either in Wolfenstein, I haven't played Doom in a while though. Sounds like a driver crashing perhaps?

Rich_Guy likes this.
  6. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    I remember I had a similar issue with W:NC when I was playing it and updated the driver, I reverted the driver and it was fine, havent played either in ages though.

Rich_Guy likes this.
  7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio

Yeah could be a driver issue, as im still on the 17.12.1s, the first Adrenalin set, as i don't update now if everything works fine.

I'll try a driver update when i get around to playing them proper, as got plenty others to get through first. :D

8. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    You ever get this sorted out?

9. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Not yet, playing through other games at the minute :)

10. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Has anyone here tried to play Fallout 4 lately? To me, it seems to be a mess in 21:9.

11. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    Gotcha, I figured there have been at least a few new drivers from AMD by now, should be sorted. Guess you will see when you get around to it!

Its always been a mess on UW, check this out:

Radical_53 and Rich_Guy like this.
  12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah, im a good few drivers behind now :D

13. f14dude

f14dude Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 2070 Super 8GB
    Just ordered a MSI Optix MAG341CQ 34" 100Hz Ultra Wide screen from Newegg for $429.99. Going to replace my current LG 29" Ultra Wide 2560X1080 screen which is still working great since 11/17 but I just decided I like the bigger screen after all plus it's 100Hz over the 75Hz. Now I hope my Geforce 1070 can handle the 3440X1440.

14. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Never noticed this thread...
    - Alienware AW3418DW
    - Gaming on it is great. G-Sync is wonderful besides the price of entry
    - Only games I've tried that don't support ultrawide are games I didn't expect to support it: Fightings games like Tekken 7 or SFV, hand drawn games like Cuphead
    - Monitor is solely used for gaming
    - Love everything about this monitor except the price. Would probably pair very well with a 2080 Ti but can't afford one atm
    - I have a BenQ 4K 32" monitor as well - it's better for getting work done but the Alienware monitor is much better for gaming

15. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    I picked up an Acer Predator Z35P a few weeks ago, VA panel g-synch. Its fantastic for gaming 35" is just perfect for gaming on ultrawide and gsynch is sublime.

My LG34UC97's image quality is way better though but to be expected as thats IPS.

Overall loving the Z35P, gsynch is honestly fantastic and my gripe with my 34" LG was that it was just a tiny bit smaller than i would like so the Z35P is perfect in that respect.

16. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Sometimes that extra inch makes all the difference... or so I've heard? :rolleyes:

lmimmfn likes this.
  17. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    With the 34" I used to pull it a little closer to cover most of my FOV, don't have to do that with the 35", sounds ridiculous I know but thats the story :)

18. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Vision OC 24GB
    great monitor, i use the same one, i missed the convinience of having dual monitors though with this behemoth, so i got a little 10.1 inch 2k 2560x1600 display positioned underneath it, makes huge difference in productivity, temp monitors and spotify / media etc.

lmimmfn likes this.
  19. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6900 XT
    I started out my UW journey with an AOC 29" 2560x1080 monitor, loved it and soon moved on to my present monitor, the excellent Acer XR341CK and I ain't looking back.....ever! I've just put together a CF VEGA 64 rig and I'm thinking of going balls out with the Samsung C49HG90 49" SUW monitor.....QLED, HDR and 32:9, what's not to like?

20. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    lol with all 3 of those you could be almost completely surrounded. As far as what's not to like, basically just the 1080 vertical