The Ultra-wide club

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by wavetrex, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Not yet try out racing games but will try out soon.

Trunks0 likes this.
  2. Trunks0

Trunks0 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 6600XT
    "Redout: Enhanced Edition" is currently free on the EPIC store and while totally not my style of game, it has proper 32:9 support and was pretty trippy even if I completely sucked at it :D

3. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    This game is not support 32:9 in proper, everything is stretching and it is the worst games I ever seen in HDR implementation. lol. Totally disaster, uninstall. :p

4. Trunks0

Trunks0 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 6600XT
    Actually... that's the look of the game, the fishbowl is done that way on purpose :D. I didn't mess with the HDR to be fair. But I did say trippy lol

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Got the Acer X34GS as a replacement for my old Acer X34A and here are my first impressions.

- Out of the box, the colors are way more vivid than on my old monitor
    - The panel is definitely a LOT brighter (I don't see this as a positive thing)
    - The construction is about the same but the curvature is much more pronounced. The anti-glare coating is slightly more visible than on my old panel
    - The RGB strip at the bottom is gone :(
    - The speakers seem more powerful and better than on my old monitor
    - HDR doesn't really pop like on my LG C1 but it does seem to vary depending on the material. A HDR Youtube video did look better but RDR2 in HDR mode or standard mode looks almost the same, on the other hand RDR2 HRD doesn't look better on my LG C1 either).
    - G-sync compatible works really well
    - 180Hz is a crazy high number but 144Hz is already better than the 95Hz I had before (mine wouldn't overdrive to 100Hz). Even 120fps does feel smoother than 95fps using the NVCPL limiter.
    - Acer are very generous with all the cables. Got a DP, HDMI and USB-C cable.
    - Bezels are still too thick.

Problems:
    1. When I applied HDR all the text lost its sharpness but this was solved by disabling a "Super Resolution" setting that kicked in when using HDR mode
    2. The monitor exhibited whirring sounds when using lower brightness but it seemed to fix itself after a while
    3. I have quite a lot of backlight bleed on all four corners (more than my old monitor). Maybe not the end of the world but still. Blacks aren't that black unfortunately and once again one shouldn't underestimate the power of OLED.

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    Thats one of the reasons i prefer VA panels over IPS. There is no backlight bleed at all (atleast not on my gigabyte g34wqc) and blacks are much deeper not grey.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Sure, that's true. I checked what's in stock in one of the stores I use but G-sync is missing, even in the expensive 343CQR.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    Dont get me wrong they all have their pros and cons.

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    On my Samsung TV, HDR mode has its own setup, entirely separate to that of SDR mode.
    You may need to go in and change sharpen etc to get things back to normal.
    Also, depending on some modes, my TV makes a different use of the sharpen setting, it can need either zero to be normal OR set to Normal to be normal. Strange but it is what it is.
    Food for thought.

Its possible your display has fans, check to see if there are and when they activate.
    It might be a firmware problem causing it to activate then shut off when changing mode.

OLEDs dont have a backlight.
    I would dig further into this problem.

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Thanks for your tips but the sharpness thing was just a setting in OSD that had to be turned off.

It's not a fan sound, it's more of a buzzing sound.

Regarding OLED, yes :) That was my point, that OLED is superior when it comes to blacks. Maybe it's obvious but since I have an OLED TV the difference between that and a desktop LED are so apparent.

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    New update regarding the X34GS which I've used for a few days now.

+ HDR, when properly done in games look great! Ori and the Will of the Wisps and Doom Eternal are two good examples, I'll test Cyberpunk 2077 now.
    + 144Hz is really sweet compared to 95Hz I got before. This also fixed two cases where I had uneven framerates (Iron Fury and to some extent Lost Ark)
    + Colors are definitely better
    - The stand is very tall so I'll have to buy something like "Arctic X1-3D Desk Mount Gas Spring Monitor Arm"
    - There is quite a lot of backlight bleed in all corners when the monitor displays a black picture and some darker on the top when displaying a white picture. Not sure what to do here tbh.

12. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Some update on my Samsung Odyssey Neo G9.

Previously I said the HDR games in FALD on (auto) make certain dark scenes too dark and green leaf not green, somehow weird output.

This issue seems solved now and it look brilliant now. Now I am running with FALD on (auto) for games and movie playback. :cool:
    For desktop wise I still turn it off as I much prefer without it for very eye smooth experience.

The only changes is I had installed latest Nvidia driver 512.95, did Nvidia solved it? because others than Nvidia new GPU driver, they is nothing new update in my PC and they is no new firmware release for this monitor as well, last firmware is 1011 that I already installed since I get this monitor.

Anyway don't care, freaking happy now. :D

Another thing is VRR control I am off back as I notice it is badly impact to any games if I turn on Nvidia DLSS where it will extremely jittering and lagging when they is a lot moving object until not possible to play condition, when benchmark you can seen minimum FPS drop to 2. This issue is totally gone when I set VRR control to off. No issue though if I not using DLSS. Weird...

Last edited: May 31, 2022