1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The time has finally come

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Chillin, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Well then, I think I will bite the bullet and finally upgrade my aging system.

My budget is more or less ~$1,000. I will be using the computer for gaming, movies and some schoolwork. My most major goal on this build is to make it as future-proof as possible, at least 4 years minimum.

My other major goal is reliability, I don't have the ability to screw around if something goes wrong due to time. However, I will dab into a little O/C on this rig. A big plus is lower power and heat; by me power is very expensive and it is a rather hot climate.

The case I will be buying separately, same for the display. I don't care if I can't play every game on maximum, I just want to run them well enough. I am going to be getting a 1920X1080 display, so I need to run at that resolution. I also plan on using the SSD for Intel SRT cache.

Here's what I have so far (updated):

OK, here is the final setup I plan on ordering tomorrow. Everything but the monitor and case is to be ordered at Newegg, the other two from Amazon. If anyone else has anything to say, please do it now. :)

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge = $225

Motherboard:
    ASRock Z68 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 = $190

or

ASUS P8Z68-V (non-pro) =190

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive = $75

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM = $100

Power Supply Unit: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC = $110

SSD: Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC = $105

GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N56GOC-1GI GeForce GTX 560 = $197

Cooling: CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler = $73

Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer = $20 (from DerSchniffles)

Case (Amazon): Cooler Master Storm Enforcer USB 3.0 Mid Tower ATX Case with Window and Black Interior (SGC-1000-KWN1) = $90

Case Accessories: (fan, filter) = $25

Mouse: Logitech M570 Trackball = $45

Monitor (Amazon): ASUS VE248H 24-Inch LED Monitor = $196

Total Price: $1,451, before shipping costs

That's what I have so far. Attack!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Looks good for 1k$. just go with the corsair TX 750V2.. not that raidmax crap.
    Id make the budget a bit higher for the GPU.. no way its gonna last 4 years unless you lower settings on all your games later on

3. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Hmmm... The cheapest I could find a GTX 570 for was $290. Problem is that it starts to push my budget a bit over and it definitely requires more power and heat than I would like. I have no problem personally lowering graphic settings later on to compensate; hell, I can even throw in another 560 in a few years when they are cheap.

Thanks for the response though. :)

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    A 64GB SSD for that price? WAAAY too much. Unless that's the brand new generation, in which case it's not worth it. A first gen sandforce would shave off 40-50 which would allow you to buy a better CPU cooler, which will definitely be a good idea considering the climate.

5. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    The climate? He's Chilling, what does he need a better cooler for. IIRC the stock cooler is pretty good.

A good lower power PSU > cheap higher power

And yea you'll save a lot doing SLI in a couple of years rather than doubling your GPU budget now

6. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    EDIT:
    The SSD I previously chose is of the new generation of drives.

Stock cooler should be enough for me, I am not planning any 5GHz+ O/C after all.

7. Rebel975

Rebel975 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Nice! If anyone on this forum needs or deserves an upgrade it is surely you my friend. I demand pictures, and hope it all goes well for you. Can I ask what you are planning to do with the old rig?

8. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    Ditch the SSD and get a 570/580. I'm not saying an SSD isn't nice to have, but it's nicer to have a better gfx card then an SSD.

9. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

I'll still keep it around, probably let the old folks have it. (They only need it for email and word)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  10. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Hmmm... I'm thinking of downgrading to the previous generation of SSD's. That way I can still get a ~60GB-64GB SSD for around $100 and put the $60 towards the GTX 570.

Still undecided on this one.

11. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Ok, I decided to recycle the WD 1TB Caviar Black FALS from my current PC as the system drive in the new one, should be roughly around the same speed. This gives me $90 extra to spend on the screen.

12. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 ti
    Although you probably want an upgrade asap why not wait and see how bulldozer performs?

13. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    For certain reasons that I cannot discuss here, the purchase must be done next week.

I did try and hold off but now that they are delayed yet again..

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    If you go the 570 route, look for one that has a good cooler and cools the VRMs properly.
    Quite a few 570 VRMs have gone pop but I'm not sure if its something that has been fixed now, not heard anything about it.

The 560ti is a better design and will clock very close to 570 performance.
    If you get a good 570, that will clock well also.
    I wouldnt risk clocking a standard 570.
    Many have and I'm glad for them, just being cautious.

If you can sway enough money to get a 580, you will love it.
    Perhaps get an SSD later.

ps
    the stock 580 is 13 or 15% (cant remember) faster than the 570 without any overclocks.
    The 580 can get around a 20% overclock over stock clocks (772MHz) without much problem.
    fyi
    I dont know how well the 570's overclock, perhaps someone can help.

15. Virtue

Virtue Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 WF3
    Glad you're upgrading, looking at your current spec right now... damn you're going to love that new rig!!

As for SSD vs better GPU, if I was given the option to turn in my Vertex2 120GB+460 for a 570-580, I would never do it.

At the moment it plays everything I've thrown at it at 1080p at High, there are even games it does easily with Ultra on. I bought it last year though, so by the end of this year, I know I'll most likely be slowly lowering settings as better graphics game come out. I have a friend who owns a 570, while it is a beast of a GPU, I can't stand the sluggish hard drive feeling from his PC.

If you only care about games, then a better GPU is probably what you should be looking into. Make sure you don't go around trying someone's SSD though, as you'll never want to go back to a mechanical drive. :)

Believe me and many people will tell you the same thing, SSDs are a marvelous upgrade for a PC. Besides a SSD is going to last you through more rigs than a GPU will because it's something that can always be reused and is always extremely fast. If anything you can also use it in a future laptop, it's pretty much worth it in every way.

That ~150$ (with taxes) price difference between a 560 and a 570 isn't going to make your GPU as a whole more futureproof. Once the new generations of GPUs hit, the perfomence increase will be MUCH bigger therefore having a 560 or 570 in 5 years is going to be the same deal.

tldr; SSD+560

EDIT - btw that Corsair is a rip off, new gen is mostly interesting if you're using a SSD for serious business stuff. last gen is perfectly fine and really fast for consummers. look what you can get for about the same money http://ncix.com/products/?sku=53309&vpn=OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G&manufacture=OCZ Technology&promoid=1343 -- can probably find cheaper somewhere else too, just stumbled upon that earlier
    EDIT2 - Save yourself some money and just get a P- motherboard instead of Z-

16. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Thanks for the advice Virtue.

Yeah, I was kind of leaning more towards getting the SSD. One thing I learned about computers is that there are certain components that are worth the initial investment and don't degrade over time; hard drives (SSD's) and power supplies fall into this category.

As for the SSD, I am thinking of getting the Crucial m4 60GB for $119; unless someone else has a better suggestion?

17. Larry!

Larry! Banned

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 295
    Seeing as he is coming from a 9400gt even 5 years from now a 560 would be a huge gain. I.m sure he is used to turning some things down.

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Choose small drives carefully.
    The benchmarks are usually for the larger drives and the scores can scale downward with size.
    The previous generation Crucials scaled their write speeds linearly downward!
    I havent kept up with the latest Crucials though, its worth checking.

19. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yup, thanks.

Anyone have any suggestions about which Z68 motherboard? The problem we have these days is not looking for a good motherboard, but looking out for the random bad apple (no pun intended).

What I'm looking for:

-Some decent (not hardcore) O/C capability
    -2X PCI-E 16 (could be 2X 8 lanes, etc) for possible future SLI
    -ATX sized
    -Cheap :) Socket 1155 is only going to be around for another 2 years.
    -UEFI - A must for future compatibility
    -???
    -Profit!

20. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    I vote this, it's not like you'll notice the difference between a first and second gen Sandforce in general usage. "Ooh, this one is more instant than this one!". I honestly don't see how it gets any faster other than boot times. After all, Windows can only draw things so fast (Like literally display things).

I really want to suggest a Vertex 2 but there's so many DOA's it's unbelievable. I got lucky with mine, but Newegg reviews feature lots of angry DOA's.