The test you never see in reviews.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by TheDeeGee, Aug 25, 2021.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    But still matters for a select group of people that care about a quiet Gaming PC.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  2. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080ti Vision OC
    I want a quiet gaming PC that's running at 240fps :)

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    Noise can be a big deal for some people.

It would be nice to see a 60 FPS capped noise test, even if it's a high-end card.

And before people say: "It makes no sense to cap at 60 FPS on a high-end card.". There is always a thing called "headroom" for those not wanting to drop below 60 with all bells and whistles enabled.

4. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080ti Vision OC
    b
    The noise produced by a GPU is going to depend on the temperature of the air in the case so ambient temperature and case config plays a big part. I think it would be hard to make the test representitive.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    Can still compare it to the benchtest vs max load that all reviewers already do.

6. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    Isn't this all just a common knowledge? Reviews do not test this, because it doesn't show anything interesting really. I also use (adaptive) VSync for similar reasons. Even though I have fully WC system, where noise or temperatures are not an issue, simply because I hate raising temperature in my room and higher power consumption.

7. skacikpl

skacikpl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 8G
    Only way to ever achieve such thing would be to go for terminal approach and have actual beefy PC stashed in a remote place in house and then either somehow interface peripherals or just plainly remote desktop into it using a cheap passive machine.

8. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    Nah, just buy a chiller and put it in another room... make a little holes in wall just for the pipes.

9. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    of course they're there
    TPU has had vsync power efficiency tests for a long time
    vega drawing 280w when capped at 60 has to be some kind of a record.

[​IMG]

they also have 20ms power spikes testing - very important but noone else does that
    (again,vega is just amazing here lol)

[​IMG]

as well as dual monitor and video playback
    TPU power charts are the most complete ones,along computebase.de that also does sdr vs hdr

pcgh has @60fps,plus every resolution and rt done separatley (6800 is nothing short of amazing at 1080p/1440p)
    https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Rade...kaufen-Preis-6600-XT-vs-3060-Ti-1377026/3/#a1
    [​IMG]
    https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Rade...kaufen-Preis-6600-XT-vs-3060-Ti-1377026/3/#a1

the data is there,you just gotta be more open to finding it

I always find it ironic that people on g3d (certain lazy and ignorant individuals) dismiss the data I link from computerbase or pcgh cause "they're german"
    they're one the best review sites you can find one the internet,along with TPU's W1zzard's reviews.
    techtuber reviews are pieces of turd compared to pcgh.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    Valken, jura11, Airbud and 4 others like this.
  10. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    The other day I was comparing 75hz to 144hz (both with v-sync) and aside from the obvious visual difference (and lower temps at 75Hz) I noticed that the core clock on the GPU was boosting at a much lower clock speed at 75Hz. Is that normal? I don't recall that happening on my older computers, but I guess that makes sense as capping the frame rate limits the need for it to boost higher...

11. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor RX6600XT
    I use 75Hz Vsync and freesync. GPU fans dont even spin in games

OnnA likes this.
  12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Yeah that's normal. The GPU won't use any higher clock than it needs to.

13. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    It's not like PCs produce that much noise, so you could simply have the PC in the next room, drill a hole in the wall for cables, and finally stuff the hole full of soundproofing foam. You might need a couple of USB hubs (and/or extension cords) and a longer than normal cable(s) for the screen(s), but that's it. Even having the PC power button within reach is no problem if you know anything about soldering and stuff.

I haven't actually seen anyone do this, maybe because the downside is that it obviously burdens the other room, so it can't be just any room.

14. dezo

dezo Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080s
    Kaarme: That's exactly how I am running my gear almost 10 years now. PC is in the next room (utility one) and in my room I have only peripherals with USB hub. So there is zero noise produced by PC where I sit no matter what it is doing. The downside is that I can't tell if it is on fire until I smell something or my monitor goes off, but that's a price to pay for absolute silence. Never happened so far anyway thanks to HW temps monitoring. And of course better quality cables are needed to connect stuff as they will be longer.

This is obviously not for everyone. Nowadays people insist on cases with RGB LEDs everywhere, preferably in their faces all day long or they just need to show off their overpriced chinese parts trough glass panels and what not. I couldn't care less about that - my monitor is bright and shiny enough.

A M D BugBear likes this.
  15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    I will Play at 70FPS w/FreeSync ON and 70FPS Cap with my GPU.
    I wonder what 1800MHz at 806mV can get me ;)

75tW in AC Origins? :oops:

16. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I wish there was something that mixed FAST and ADAPTIVE VSYNC for Nvidia or my next AMD GPU. I want the FAST performance UP to monitor refresh without the tearing down under the refresh rate.

17. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc
    Yeah....
    The thing is, I just can't play anything with 60fps. It is stutter festival for me.
    Minimum of playable for me is 100, better 120-144.
    This is why I am still stuck with 240hz TN screen(with limit set to 144hz), waiting in pain for decent consumer oriented high refresh rate OLED monitor, at least just good as my LG OLED 55 TV.
    But 27-32" size of course...and still nothing on market.

18. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Ive done this for heat reasons. I just ran cables (monitor, usb hub) through custom plates that were also used for coax cable.

Anyways, I suggest using S3 because I never touched my power button. You dont need to know anything about soldering.

Kaarme likes this.
  19. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    This isn't what is missing its just never mentioned in a review because they are testing the hardware to see how fast it is overall compared to previous versions so running it full throttle is what they do.

Although they should defo mention it as VSYNC has now become more or a thing now with it being needed to fully complete the GSYNC/FreeSync pipeline (capping your fps below the refresh rate doesn't solve this).

I have moved slowly away from competitive games now and gone back towards single player or coop games and I have been using VSYNC a lot more often.

What I hate about video reviews for GPU's or Game reviews in general is not the lack of vsync or power consumption. Its literally all youtubers and most review sites will do is open a game, set everything to max, play 1-3 minutes of the first area/level and say "Yea it can play RDR2 at max setting perfect and it gets 90fps" or they just run the in game benchmark which is also normally not a true representation of actual play. This is incredibly misleading as not all areas and not all levels are the same in terms of performance in a lot of games, especially newer ones. I see it all the time especially in LinusTechTips videos hes there building a PC and he plays a game (normally doom eternal or tomb raider) and he plays 30 seconds of the game and says "yea it can play this no problem, heres our sponsor". It drives me crazy sometimes. There are defo people out there who will see that and go out and by a system with the same spec or close to it and be truly disappointed when they have issues or their fps drops in later areas/levels. Its one thing I have to praise Digital Foundry for at least they test the stuff they review extensively and Hardware Unboxed do some great stuff too offering recommended settings.

GoldenTiger and cucaulay malkin like this.
  20. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    you will like purepc then
    they usually do 8-12 games for cpu and gpu reviews,but it's literally the worst case scenario you're gonna see.
    they put quality of testing over quantity.
    see this one for example
    4K/60 requirements
    2070 vs 2080Ti
    https://www.purepc.pl/test-wydajnos...ie-kart-graficznych-radeon-i-geforce?page=0,9
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pag..._graphics_performance_benchmark_review,6.html

CPC_RedDawn likes this.