The Surge - Sci-Fi RPG - 2017 release

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Feed_Bucket, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Played 30 minutes of the game so far. It's amazing how similar to Dark Souls the game feels despite the completely different setting with its sci-fi overtones and mech suits. It's intriguing and the ability to highlight and target weak points adds an interesting element to the combat. Combat feels good (with a wireless Xbox One Elite controller) and responsive. Visually the game looks good but nothing special; anti-aliasing is poor, there's lots of specular shimmer due to the use of FXAA/SMAA only and, on my system at least, the game suffers from inconsistent frametimes (frame pacing issues) despite the fact it was holding 60 fps most of the time (at 2560x1440 with SMAA, 100% resolution scaling and everything maxed out). There's also a weird bug where loading screens appear black for unusually long periods of time... I assume this isn't intentional as if it wasn't for the RTSS overlay then I would have thought the game had crashed.

Looking forward to checking it out more later.

2. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti

I had the frame pacing issue too, Vsync would lock the game to 50fps on 1:1 and 30fps on 1:2 so i disabled it.

I though the frame issue was from no vsync as fps was over 100.

I turned shadows to medium and rebooted the game and it was much, much smoother than before.

Odd though as it wasnt showing up in the frame time graph.

3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @ Party Poison - I've added The Surge executable to RTSS and forced a 60 fps cap for the game so I'm hoping that fixes the erratic frame times I noticed this morning while playing the game.

Also, I was a bit disappointed that raising the Resolution slider above 100% results in frequent and noticeable dips below 60 fps. I was expecting the 1080 Ti to have a bit more headroom in this game; it's not exactly the ground-breaking visually after all and the area I was playing was mostly compromised of basically corridors with no large open areas.

4. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti watercooled
    this game is getting hammered in reviews

pcgamer : 60/100

Last edited: May 16, 2017

5. StannieDum

StannieDum Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 980
    It is NOT getting hammered at all. One mediocre review doesn't constitute a hammering. Metacritic shows 'Generally favourable reviews':

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-surge/critic-reviews

PCGamer 'appears' to be in a minority.

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The reviews I saw... IGN, GameSpot, etc... seem to be averaging the game around 8/10. Metacritic has an average of 72% which indicates an above average game with flaws.

Personally, I like this game even if it does feel very derivative, not only in terms of its Dark Souls-inspired gameplay but also its industrial sci-fi setting. Despite that though I got quite addicted to the game last night and ended up playing it for almost three hours, basically grinding the same area with some exploration to acquire the body parts and tech scrap needed to build more powerful armour and level up. I like the way the enemies seem challenging at first but then become easier as you learn the combat system and become better equipped to deal with them. I've still died a few times, usually through carelessness (being attacked by two or even three enemies at once or failing to see that my health was low).

The combat doesn't feel as satisfying as Dark Souls though and all the weapons so far have been melee-based so I found myself yearning for a shotgun or even a basic laser to take out some of the easier flying drones. This is an industrial plant after all so you would think there would be lasers lying around that could be modified into weapons... the flying drones can fire projectiles for example yet destroying them does not grant you their weapon which is a bit disappointing.

Not sure how long I will play the game; I guess it will last me as long as the urge to explore lasts and as long as the enemies remain challenging but not frustrating (i.e. as long as I can avoid boss fights!).

I think it's a good game overall so far, although the setting isn't quite as interesting to explore as, say, Dark Souls or Bloodborne plus there aren't many different types of enemies so far (and the few I have encountered all use the same tactics so there's no variation or surprises, which can either be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how hard you find the gameplay).

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/378540/discussions/0/1290690669223858166/

Opt-in beta patch.

8. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Im interested, but looking at a one review video and the giant bomb quick look im already bored by the look of the levels. Screams heavily discounted purchase tier - in a year or two from now.

9. bobdude

bobdude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    all developers care about is eyecandy for me thats last on my list for a game

10. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    dunno about developers, but i got bored looking at what looked like the same room reorganized over and over and over again.
    I might be wrong and there's a lot more variety, but that's not what i got after watching close to 2 hours worth of video footage.

Last edited: May 19, 2017

11. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Gaming X
    This game is so much fun especially if u die like 30 times in the second world after the train, that **** is hardcore to the bone jezus christ lol :D

First game in months i really like :)

12. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Great game, beat 3 bosses so far. I think im in the 4th area (flamethrowers everywhere :wanker:).

I like the level concept how you "unlock" shortcuts every time.

@Witcher29

After the train? You mean if you travel the 1st time to the 2nd area?

Its nothing like that. The thing is - cos you die often, like in souls game, you see the same level more often, which is pretty normal for such games.

When you're later in game you can also make more sense to the whole (industry) complex and how its built.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  13. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Gaming X
    Yeah after the travel true train that second indoor level is insane even with my chainsaw lvl 2 i still die allot with the full rhino suite.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I'm stuck on the second level and have no idea where to go as I've opened all the doors and explored the area completely.

There's two guys in Ops, one called Hobbs who needs a drug (where is that?) and down some stairs is a woman asking for a weapon (I tried to give her an upgraded pipe but she refuses to take it).

My core level is 45, I have the Rhino armor on (plus bonus for wearing it) and my weapon profiency is 13. The weapon itself is rated 70 damage. There are some panels that show 70 and 75 on them but my level is too low to overload them (I can't even do the 50 one on the first level yet).

There is a security door near Ops but it denies me access. There are also several other doors which annoying tell me they cannot be unlocked yet. I reached the area where you use the panels to extend the bridges and change the status of the recycler.

What on earth do I do? I have literally explored everywhere I can get to. :3eyes:

15. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Gaming X
    I am stuck in the same place buddy i dont bother with those 2 machine things they 2 shot me anyway :p

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Ah, I just had a sneaky look at a walkthrough and I completely missed a stairway going down just through a doorway to the left in the area where the two bridges extend. I went through that area five or six times as well. Duh!

I guess I could blame the third-person view because I doubt I would have missed it so easily if the game had been first-person.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  17. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    You both need to go to Recycling and then Toxic waste down where the next boss is.

The woman is only taking the other staff, the BioMaster. I gave it to her and found another one later.

The medic for the guy i still didnt find. Most likely in other level later.

You need to look out for sneaky stairways etc. its the same with Dark Souls, you need to keep an eye out for the level and such things.

The Panels with higher overcharge like 60, 70 are for you coming back later. I recently "opened" my 2st and got 2 nano-things which i dont see in my inventory nor i know what to do with them.

I guess they contain some new (version) implant - maybe good for Newgame+.

If you have opend all doors (except the one after the boss) - you should already have a shortcut to recycling and therefore the boss.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    So I suppose if you like Souls games this'll work too? Would love a good Soulslike game.

I've basically played nothing but Souls games for the last two months :p

19. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    yes..

Later the shafts man,..there are so many and its easy to get lost. :(

Good im past that and now im at the Board after talking to Dr. Bennett.

The boos there is too strong for me atm. I dont know...its really stressful.
    You fight one with a thunderaxe and if you take some health from him hes running away and the boss you beat 1st is coming. If you beat him, the guy with his axe is coming back and the same again.

I managed to get to "phase 3" but then the guy constantly is attacking and im only dodging. ^^ At this stage the boss only lost 1/10 of his health.

Guess after you damaged him again some more the robotor boss is also coming again. :D

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    24 hours in and I have really started to appreciate this game more on a technical and gameplay level.

The environments lack variety and come across as a bit sterile and bland but it feels believable and cohesive in a way that Dark Souls does not (due to its dreamlike/nightmarish fantasy stylings) and there's some nice details. Animations are excellent and some of the lighting effects on later rigs look really impressive when running through darkened corridors and rooms. The game also runs superbly on my system; a locked 60 fps at maxed out 2560x1440 settings and that's with 130% resolution scaling too (any higher and the game can dip below 60 fps).

The gameplay is tough but I like that the game focuses more on exploration and fighting "normal" enemies over boss fights as it means I feel like I can get further without being frustrated. Also, the level is design is excellent with each area being relatively small but laid out in a way that opens up shortcuts the more you play it. I also like that (the few) NPC you meet feel more natural to interact with here than Dark Souls/Bloodborne (From's games don't even bother to lip-sync the characters). Your character even speaks giving a more conventional and, IMO, better RPG feel than Dark Souls.

If I have one criticism it is that the game's objectives can be confusing, not helped by the fact that you have to backtrack. Twice I have had to consult a guide to find out where I was supposed to go, not helped by the lack of a map. Sure, Dark Souls didn't have a map either but in a game where you are surrounding by technology and computers it seems absurd that there isn't one here. Also, the loading times are fairly long the first time I load it up (from a hard drive... takes several minutes) but switching between areas after that takes 2 seconds! Restarts after dying are also very quick.

A very good game IMO; very addictive, well-polished on PC and different enough to not feel like a blatant Dark Souls rip-off (the way you target specific weak spots to sever heads and limbs for upgrades is a neat mechanic IMO).