The Stutter is REAL: Driver, Game or MSI A/B Problem? (Now Corrected/Fix)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    1944?
    What is the name of the file? Mine is called teedriver... The name itself makes me want to delete it.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    teedriver is legit.

3. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 56
    Eastcoasthandle likes this.
  4. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020

5. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I'm finally getting this card to act right :eek:
    2 matches of @ MW 1440p undervolted averaging 2000Mhz
    Those temps, Stable Frequencies, High Frame Rates, Smooth GamePlay...This is what Nitro is all about.

[​IMG]

SpajdrEX and MerolaC like this.
  6. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT

Here is some game play now that everything is working like it should (1440p available shortly).

[​IMG]

Keep in mind that the above was provided while still using Relive to record the gameplay. :eek:

PhazDelta likes this.
  7. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    New Update: Finally fixed frametime spikes in Hardware Monitor of MSI AB.

I finally figured out why I was seeing frametime spikes in Modern Warfare using MSI Afterburner Hardware Monitor and not in OSD.
    It was due to a tweak: bcdedit /set useplatformtick yes
    This tweak was used to get the Current Timer resolution to .5 instead of .4996 or 1.0 instead of .9973 when using timer resolution app, etc. Although that did work in win10 I was unaware of it's negative effects on MSI A/B. Deleting it from bcdedit resolved the issue..

What's also strange is that it didn't happen as bad in other games. So I'm not sure what the trigger is. Modern Warfare was the biggest offender of this tweak. In other games not so much.

Keep in mind that framerates are capped at 120 FPS.
    [​IMG]

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Maybe some games are more sensitive to timing tweaks, not that I know too much about it but isn't the newer builds of Windows10 generally fairly good at utilizing this effectively long as the hardware itself supports it which I guess most of them now do. :D

EDIT: Sure is a ton of supposed latency tweaks involving modifying the various timers.

Sure are a lot of different timers too and other stuff. :p
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/bcdedit--set

9. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Thumb rule with OS timing: do not mess around with timers!

Caesar and Krteq like this.
  10. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    To be clear, there was no stuttering issues in games. It only showed up in MSI Afterburner HW frametime.
    Which is demo'd 4 posts earlier in MW gameplay. Even in MSI AB's OSD there were no spikes. It's only in the Hardware Monitor it shows up.

I more or less wanted to know why it was happening. I forgot I made that tweak and should have known in hind sight. As it was suppose to reduce frame rates in favor of latency.

But as @JonasBeckman suggested it seems that even with the multiple timers being used in win10 seems to mange it well. However, when I use a timer resolution applications to clamp it to .5 or 1.0 the difference with it on vs off in MW is very specific. I can "snap to" a players head while on the move from a 90 degree angle with my cross hairs easier...is the best way to describe the difference.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020 at 5:28 PM

11. someonelikeyou

someonelikeyou Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R7 260x
    Oh boy, HPET tweaks... Are you sure you want to go down this rabbit hole?

12. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    LOL, I know right. I guess you can say I had the "experience".

But it's funny though for the most part it does work but there are "side effects" that you won't know about until you "know about it". I still wonder if those spikes from MSI AB Hardware Monitor were actualy spikes in the OS or something else? Because it wasn't in the game.