"The SOPA Act Continues To Get Dirtier"

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by JerichoKru, Nov 21, 2011.

1. JerichoKru

JerichoKru Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD 6850 1GB
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/the-sopa-act-continues-to-get-dirtier/

...Isn't this a first amendment violation or something?

2. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    The argument looks a little one sided lol!

Any better sources, news sites etc?

3. Arctucas

Arctucas Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    I admit I have mixed feelings about this.

On one hand, as a Libertarian, I believe the Government should have as little influence on my life as possible.

On the other hand, as a Capitalist, I know that if I were an author, musician, game developer or anyone who produced a product based on my talent and intellect, in order to make money to support myself and my family, I certainly would not condone the theft of my product or any means that would enable said theft.

The unfortunate fact is, there are many dishonest people who, although they can easily afford the price of a product, choose to steal it instead.

I would ask, is it really any different from someone stealing your identity and draining your bank account? Or, let us say you are a farmer who grows crops; how would you like it if someone simply went into your fields and harvested the fruits (pun intended) of your labor without paying you?

I see no reasonable solution to the issue of theft of intellectual property.

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    its not just going to stop there.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011

5. Arctucas

Arctucas Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    I fear you are correct.

As long as government continues to grow, so do our liberties decline.

6. PhazeDelta1

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    if anyone hasnt read the bill, needs to. it has a few lol sections. basically if this passes, piracy will then be considered a form of economic espionage. which by the way is punishable at a minimum of 15 years to life in prision. theres some other crap in there that is just garbage. for instance, lets say intel claims a smaller companys website is infringing on intellectual property. intel doesent need any proof, just that claim alone is enough to have that site shut down until proven otherwise. by then, the damage will have already be done.

7. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    What the...

Not to sound to much like a patriot or anything, but I thought we lived in America...land of the free? While I always took that with a grain of salt...I never thought we'd turn into China, after all, our people have huge problems with authority. We're very unruly and hard to control as a whole, is at least how I always looked at it.

8. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080 Ti
    This will mostly likely get worse than it is now. I sent articles to all of my friends on Facebook and as someone else said on this forum they responded "who cares" and then just ignored the thing. Ill be waiting until they start complaining......

9. PhazeDelta1

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    they may not care now , but when big brother is all up in their interwebz, its going to be a different story.

10. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    I love YouTube, and various other website. People don't seem to understand this...those websites will nearly go away.

Google, Yahoo, ectera, will change. Your fanwebsite for a game? Your clan website? Gone.

This is the corporations trying to take over the Internet; to make it so they control what you can and can't see.

11. PhazeDelta1

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    dude, youtube is the first to go. i can see that now. there is already some stuff on there thats in clear violation of the DCMA. which by the way is another crooked law that should of never been passed.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    this sad sad days we live in when the government cares more about there bottom line then fix the problems in our country or repaying our debts like the 2 trillion dollars we owe china cause of the war on terrorist or the war for oil soon to follow

13. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    United States of China or West China should be our countrys new name.

14. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Grab your ankles and kiss your DNS goodbye :p

Take a look at "letters of support". This bill is far broader than just movies/games.

The letter from the "alliance for safe online pharmacies" caught my eye. I guess pharmaceuticals are still upset about people crossing the border for cheap meds. Not saying that online pharmacies are safe, but they're going to be a target with this bill to if I'm reading rightly.

15. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850

16. PR-0927

PR-0927 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+

Cutting out all opposition groups from testifying isn't exactly expected either. Only pro-SOPA groups are testifying. THAT is institutionalized corruption.

- PR-0927

17. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    Guess the entertainment monsters are forking out even more cash to the government to get it passed.

18. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    As of now, copyright holders have a lot very strong tools in their arsenal including the DCMA, which arguably already goes too far.
    SOPA essentially bans youtube and maybe big swaths of google by making them liable for user content even when they remove them as soon as possible.
    Today any copyright holder can contact youtube and have infringing content taken down almost instantly. Pass SOPA and youtube will likely be liable for any video posted even if removed almost instantly.
    Google fears that this bill would make google liable for its searchr esults even linking to such a video. As would twitter and facebook.
    It also essentially bans anonymous proxies.

19. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Basically, the internet will outright die if something like this passes.

20. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    GV-N470SO-13I@900/2000 x3
    don't worry,the DARPA search engine google have nothing to fear of that bill, it's 100% aimed at alternative media.