The Sims 4 reseting computer with 344.80 and 347.09 drivers on GTX 980

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Sohaim, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Sohaim

Sohaim Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980(reference)
    So, my wife loves the sims, and shes been playing a lot lately and after i upgraded to these drivers she had been complaining that the PC was "reseting" all of a sudden almost everytime she throws a party in another place, so i started to investigate and tried to reproduce her error, i did not manage it to reproduce when i tried, but no BSOD msg or anything of the like is show(except for hang error on the system log for the game itselft), is anyone else having these problems? and btw this is only affecting the sims 4 so far, ive been playing Dragon Age Inquisition like mad for over 6h a day, also been playing Unity,played on both these drivers and no problems at all, which rules out the possibilite of my Corsair HX850 overheating or failing, anyone has any ideias?
    no other game is showing this.

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    If it only happens when you 'throw a party in another place' then that would indicate something is wrong with the game, not the computer. And you say the only error log that exist is in the game itself supports that theory.

The fact that it does not happen on another computer could mean a lot of things. Maybe her Sims 4 family or save file or whatever is messed up. Maybe it's a program running in the background that Sims 4 doesn't like for some reason.

You can try disabling the OSD for Origin if you haven't already, that would be a good start.

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    does she download a lot of user made stuff? my GF always has problem when she does that.

4. Sohaim

Sohaim Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980(reference)
    its alredy disabled, as for the background programs, theyre the same i use as playing all other games, MSI afterburner, Kaspersky and my mouse driver(Corsair M95), the only log as mentioned is of the game crashing and computer restarting without being shutdown properly, this is pretty confusing, i played DA:I the WHOLE day and no problems at all, top temp on my GPU is 68C°, and all my cores never get past 55C°, there is no indication of a fatal hardware failure, i am really confused.

5. popeye

popeye Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 730M
    No idea if the same problem but I was getting system hangs and a few BSODs with 347.09. Went back to 344.75 over a week ago and neither problem since.

I'm on 8.1 64 Pro, don't know if a combination OS and hardware thing but my laptop definitely doesn't like 09.

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    That doesn't really mean anything. Sometimes seemingly less stressful games can work the GPU more to the point of crashing simply due to high FPS. Or, in Sims 4's case it may be the CPU being over worked (Sims is more CPU reliant). If you are overclocking anything I would default everything and try it again.

If it still crashes, then maybe try reinstalling the game. Then, since none of us can actually be there to do a full and proper troubleshoot, there is always the 'I don't have enough information, so just reinstall the OS' solution.

If the issue still exist, I'm still skeptical that it's the hardware because of how specific the conditions are for the problem, but if I had to speculate I would say the CPU needs a RMA. CTD's happen all the time due to weaker CPU's being used to play Sims 3/4, things like parties have a lot of Sims doing a lot of things. This ain't a CTD, but it's possible that the CPU is unstable enough to simply crash the whole system instead. Again, just speculation.

7. Sohaim

Sohaim Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980(reference)
    i suspected my I7 4770k at first but i dont think its the CPU anymore, usage is normal, no where near 70%, and so is temps as they never got past 55 C°, i am really confused, i tried exausting the CPU and had no problems, i mean, AC Unity is more heavy than The Sims 4 CPU wise, and i have zero problems with it, i guess i will just move from Win 7 to Win 8.1, i was expecting to find someone with the same problem, i will try to reproduce the problem with the my 4770k at stock clock.

8. Terje_P

Terje_P Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970 SLI
    I remember one of my PCs shutting down because of faulty 5 year old PSU or at the time.

The whole PC would shut down when launching the somewhat demanding Heaven benchmark.

9. Sohaim

Sohaim Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980(reference)
    Problem is that DA:I and AC Unity are much more demanding than The Sims 4 and both play fine, i have found no indication that its a CPU,PSU or GPU problem, really confused.